My Design - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My Design

I am currently in the thinking stages of my project. I want to build my own rod from the ground up using parts from the junkyard.

Here is a side profile of my design:

Also, here are the wheels I would like to use:

I will probably use an EFI Ford 302 with a 5 speed for the drivetrain. I will put everything on a custom built 2x4 steel frame, and the body will be made completely from fiberglass. I'm not sure what I'll do about the front end, manual vs. power steering/brakes, or glass for windows (suggestions welcome).

Anyway, what does everyone think of my design? Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 07:39 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I think we will see a lot more lightweight fuel efficient handbuilt rods come out in the near future.

If you can live without the V-8 rumble, how about a modern 4 cyl? The GM Quad-4 is a real powerhouse and great on gas. It's very difficult to work on when crammed sideways into a small Pontiac, but if it was mounted in a rod it would be easy.

A few months back, I was looking into the early 60s aluminum 215 Buick motors. Lighter weight, plus small cubes and maybe a late FI system & overdrive to get the V-8 sound and still be able to afford to drive it full time. Less cubes plus lower revs saves gas, no way around that.

P/S wouldn't be needed on a lightweight car, keep it simple...less stuff to go wrong or add weight.

Fiberglass is difficult to get correct when building an entire body. You have to build forms and then apply it uniformly or it will warp. It is also heavy in some respects. Very expensive in material costs, too. If the body design is fairly simple, look into the costs of aluminum skins, and an inexpensive English wheel. I think it would be much more fun to build it that way.

I like those wheels a LOT. Make sure you choose the correct offsets when putting then on whatever front end you choose.

I think it would be great to come up with a slick looking modern rod that gets 35-PLUS MPG....then drive the wheels off it. Most people want a traditional rod, but be different
Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I think olī Foosey beat you to it
Old 06-13-2007, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I've been toying around with the idea of the GM 3800 Supercharged V6 for a powerplant, but I'm still not sure what I want to do about that. It's hard to decide between an8cyl that runs on 87 octane and gets ok gas milage or a 6cyl that runs on 91 and gets decent gas milage. Hmmm...I'll have to do some more thinking about that.

My design does actually bear somewhat of a resemblance to Foose's Hemisfear. But, if it reminds people of another car that looks good, then thats alright with me!

Anyway, thanks for the replies and keep 'em comin'!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

Maybe try to revirse the rear and put a rumble seat in it.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.