My dirt cheap frame table - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 06:58 PM

Last journal entry: '27 roadster quarter panels from scratch
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My dirt cheap frame table

A friend of a friend bought this custom made kingsize bed frame off of craigslist for $150. He brought it home and realized it wouldn't fit up the stairs to get into his apartment! In frustration, he called me and asked me if I wanted it. He said it was made out of 2"x3" steel and angle iron, he just wanted to get rid of it and he'd even deliver it to my door. Sure, I'll take the free steel! As soon as I saw it, I thought........frame table!

I'm getting ready to build the frame for my roadster so this was just perfect! I decided not to use the headboard section 'cause my frame will be just over 100" and the box spring section is enough. I'm hanging onto the headboard piece so I can add it if the need ever arises.

All this cost me was a stick of 1" square tubing (1/8" wall) and a couple of pieces of scrap steel. I used some scrap 3" square tubing for legs and built some crossbars out of the 1" and scrap angle iron. They drop in, fit snugly and can be adjusted fore and aft. Everything is level, plumb and rock solid!

It's not super heavy duty but it'll work for me! I just need a solid level surface to setup my frame. I don't really trust my welding skills on structural pieces so I'm gonna tack it all together on the frame table then bring it into a local rod builders shop for the finish welding.

It's great 'cause it lifts up easily and stores out of the way on one side of the garage giving me plenty of room to get my daily driver in and out. Now I can finally get started on the roadster frame!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

perfect
Old 01-01-2012, 01:12 AM

Last photo:

sweeet! the only thing better than the new frame table is the price...
Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

Whoever originally had that built must have been expecting to see some serious action!!

That's one heavy duty bed!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Heavy duty bed maybe, but not nearly heavy or stiff enough to build a frame on....it will warp right along with the frame as soon as you start any serious welding. Maybe would work if you bolted it to the floor

Budget RVs
Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

When your done making your frame you can put longer legs on it and a top and have a great work table too....
If its free.......Its for me....
Old 01-01-2012, 10:42 AM
old biker,rodder,gunner = oold

Now that's Hotrodding and I like the comment about free steel, I must have a ton and still dragging it home.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Last journal entry: '27 roadster quarter panels from scratch
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Heavy duty bed maybe, but not nearly heavy or stiff enough to build a frame on....it will warp right along with the frame as soon as you start any serious welding. Maybe would work if you bolted it to the floor
Agreed. However, I just want a solid, level surface to setup my frame on. All pieces will be tacked only. Finish welding will be done by a competant local rod builder, at his shop.

Yeah guys, 'free' is one of my favorite words!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Frame table

I noticed you used bottle jacks to level the bed frame.A frend showed me a good trick.Check at your local home improvment store for a bunch of old floor tiles to use as shims under jack stands. I've been using the
se a lot,as I have more stands than jacks.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

bed frame

By just getting things up off the floor so you can clamp the kicks to the main rails much easier is the main thing anyway... Once they are together solid, (keeping both sides the same) you can now install the cross members keeping it all square and level...
Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Cheap Frame Table

Anything that starts off as free, is a good idea. Another thing, is knowing your limitations. No shame in having to go to an Expert for Welding or anything else. But it is allways nice to continue you education, and upgrading skills
Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 AM

Frames were built with less

You have a nice fixture there buddy. There have been hundred of high speed rods built off of chalk lines on the floor of someone shop floor.
BUT; unless you know the techniques to weld the frame or it's parts without drawing the steel from and or useing heat distortion, Leave it to someone that dose it daily.
The first Rod my brother and I welded was with Oxy-Act. The joints were brazzed and had a 80,000 psi rateing. Trouble is with the heat effected area the off weld material was in danger of becomeing brittle. First Cobras and many other sports cars that were raced were gas welded. Not to mention aircraft. It's not used today because of the skill set needed to use gas in production fabricateing.
I see a good MIG welder in the photo of your shop. They are great welders when useing gas. If you want to teach yourself to be a better welder? Then learn the =vertical up= welds and then use a three mix MIG gas like "Stargon" to get the penetration with little heat effected area.
Hey the whole point of "OLD SCHOOL" Rodding is.... OLD SCHOOL> Go for it!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

Great deal on the jig. If used correctly should do exactly what you want. I noticed you used a bubble level during your set up. Their good, but we live in the modern age now. Try one of these; http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=26-75151536-2

I bought one of these to set my pinion angle. The best feature of this level is that you can "teach" it to read zero wherever you want. I didn't have to worry about setting the car at the exact final ride height. I just put the level on the output shaft of the trans, pushed the set zero button and then moved the level to the face of pinion. Adjusted the rear end (Jag IRS) until the level again read zero and I was done. Besides reading degrees it also can be set to read % or pitch, like on a roof. When you turn it on it tells you the ambient temperature.

As you can tell I really, really like this inexpensive tool!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Nice tool and what a RIDE !

EVOLVO

Hey ...I'm wanting a level like you sudjest. It is just the ticket and I think easy to set a bench mark.
Nice job on your Wagon ! I bet it is a bumble bee ? How many RPM ?
The photo with the wire bomb aftermath made me laugh....been there. Now I just order the Speedway 20 circuit kit...$ 149...
Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 AM

Last photo:

I bought a nice bench at a garage sale one day for $10...

No, not free, but not real dear either.

The table was made of two pieces of 15" wide channel section steel with 3" sides, the steel was over half an inch thick. The two pieces were welded together totally flat and had some nice big RHS pieces underneath to make the legs.

I fitted a vyce up to this bench by drilling holes through it. Then when I fitted the second vyce I realised I could drill and tap the holes instead!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.