My DIY tig welder.. - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 11:15 AM

Last journal entry: Tube front clip
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Exactly.. I have 208VAC in the case for the motor so thats what I used.. the transformer says it puts out 32 VAC from 240VAC so from 208 it puts out 25VAC~ to BR1

you can get them on almost anything the 21si works the same too.. just look for AC and lots of options..

feel free to use a ford alt too .. basically all the same

not exactly sure how there rectifiers will hold up though... only one way to find out if you use an externally regulated alt you may not even need to open it up...

find an alt from an ambulance, im sure they would pump out the juice

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

I believe you can post copyrighted material only if you post it as "for educational purposes only."
Old 01-15-2006, 11:05 PM

TIG Welder

What's the status on this project? Any chance you can provide sketches or wiring diagrams..along with details on the alternator, regulator and other parts used. I got a 3 HP Briggs engine and am thinking of trying to use it as a power source for this project. Eagerly waiting for detals.... am sure we all are.. Stan
Old 01-22-2006, 01:23 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
It may still be under copyright, even if it's not overtly registered. grouch is very knowledgeable about digital rights management and intellectual freedom, maybe we'll see what he has to say about this.

If not, we can just do what lowROLLERchevy is doing in this thread. We had to take T-Bucket plans off of the board due to copyright concerns, so he's drafting a set of plans to give away for free to the rodding community .

We can do the same thing with plans for a DIY TIG welder.
Thanks for the kind words. (Good thing you didn't put any kind of measurement on those; gives me an easy out for how little I do know. I'm long-winded on the subjects but that doesn't necessarily mean I know what I'm yapping about).

It seems to me that the excellent descriptions, diagrams and images that Travis Rankin has generously shared with everyone makes a PDF with questionable copyright issues not worth the hassle. The only convenience missing is having all of Travis Rankin's work compiled into a single document. That's hardly an inconvenience at all.

I tried tracking down information regarding DIYTIGWELDER.com through http://www.archive.org and kept getting "page not found" errors. Digging into the index page showed that it was accessing john.goyk.com for a page named diysite.html. Some archived pages for john.goyk.com included a disclaimer page and an order page. The order page was last archived October 15, 2004. Whether the plans being offered there were the same 15 page PDF that you received or not is not clear.

Referring to http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/tra...lic_Domain.htm
any work published in the U.S. after March 1, 1989 is automatically protected by copyright without the requirement of a copyright notice or registration of a copyright. (Registration of a copyright is still required before any lawsuit can be filed over a work). If that PDF matches the one being sold from john.goyk.com in 2004 (and possibly 2005), it still doesn't indicate whether the work is in the public domain or not. This could be (a) a public domain work being sold, (b) a copyright-protected work being sold, with no registration or notice, (c) an "abandoned" work, which is something that is just being addressed by legislatures and courts, (d) none of the above.

The copyright issues regarding Travis Rankin's shared information here are much clearer. The messages are certainly his own original work to share and appear to be sufficiently detailed to allow anyone to create diagrammed plans for a DIY welder. The images, if looked at with a cold, hostile eye, could be someone else's. The data from some of the JPGs is consistent, even if the creation time doesn't match message time:

File name : tigmachine.jpg
File size : 113485 bytes
File date : 2006:01:22 00:26:55
Camera make : EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Camera model : KODAK CX7430 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Date/Time : 2004:01:18 07:43:51
Resolution : 600 x 1200
Flash used : Yes (auto)
Focal length : 5.6mm (35mm equivalent: 34mm)
Exposure time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture : f/2.7
ISO equiv. : 80
Whitebalance : Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure : program (auto)

The "File date" is when I saved the image; "Date/Time" is the image creation date. (Somebody forget to set the clock in the camera? Almost as common as VCRs flashing "12:00"). The above is typical for the posted photos.

Again, the detailed messages are enough to build a DIY welder _even if_ you take the most hostile view of the images and consider them pilfered. The schematic posted shows a timestamp that is consistent with the message in which it appears.

Taken all together, I wouldn't worry a minute over making use of Travis Rankin's now-published plans. Copyright protects expressions of ideas, not the ideas themselves. His expression of this DIY welder is far more valuable, IMO, than the PDF because it has been freely shared, has strong indications of being original work, and was clearly posted with the intent of freely helping others.

On the other hand, that PDF _might_ be what was once offered for sale on that website. Were sales so low as to not make it worth the effort any more? That wouldn't cause it to be public domain. Was the seller doing so without authorization and the web site closed due to a cease and desist? In a world where the rule has become 'that which is not explicitly permitted is denied', it ain't worth the trouble.

(Told you I was long-winded on the subject).
Old 01-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

uhhh, what.
its easier to beg forgiveness, than to ask permission.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:01 PM

Relative Link

Here is a link discussing how to modify the alternator Travis used. Maybe it will help a little!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/t.molnar/Obwelder1.htm
Old 01-24-2006, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

great addition!
Old 01-24-2006, 06:22 PM

wound wire?

Hey Travis what purpose does the wound wire below and in front of your motor serve?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

its an inductor.. it smooths out the welding current, and helps arc starting.. It's not exactly necessary though
Old 02-28-2006, 08:02 PM

I understand that field voltage governs amperage output. So is field amperage important? Will any field amperage input work?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Last photo:

[QUOTE=hercpilot]QUOTE]

Like the username, any chance you serve on C-130's?

Vince
Old 03-01-2006, 08:13 AM

For a little while longer until BRACC has it's way!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

the field coil will take a max of about 7 amps, but thats uncontrollable amps is a product of resistance
Old 03-10-2006, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

Since this is a DC tig welder can you weld aluminium with it?
Old 03-10-2006, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

not with very good results...

Allthough! the power coming from the alternator is actually three phase high frequency AC. and then it is rectified to DC..

I am not sure this 3PH HFAC would work, as it never really hits zero. The three waves overlap.
But I don't fully understand how 3PH HFAC works.
Closed Thread

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.