my Dream Garage/house - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2004, 03:55 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Talking my Dream Garage/house

i found a link on this forum to this website with garage plans.... i seen it had plans for garages with apartments ontop. i want to build one of these out on a acreage. http://www.justgarageplans.com/plan.php?planID=152

i think i would add on another space for 1 more car on the side of the garage but with no door(storage of a project or whatever) and put in a bathroom in the garage. to build one of these i would think it would be fairly cheap since u dont need to dig a basement. just get a garage floor put down and build up. what do u guys think??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

i hear ya...

there was a building that i always wanted to buy, it was a garage at one time and had a second floor. it was in a town about 20mins from where i live and unfortunately i never had the $$ to buy it, although i think it probably would have sold for about 1/2 of what it cost to buy a house. it was about 25'x40'. i would have loved to have a small apt. up top and a nice shop in the bottom. a couple years ago somebody bought it and turned it into a HOUSE!! that really bummed me out.

JB

p.s. still looking
Old 01-26-2004, 07:50 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

There are financial advantages to "building up". You do have to have a substancial foundation, it is only under part of the floor space, but has to support all of it. With land costs what they are, you can save there by needing less space. If the garage is heated, the house part benefits, since heat rises. Our local building code requires that walls (ceiling in your case)between a garage and living space be finished off with drywall. That does help justify the expense of finishing the inside of the garage.

One downfall of a garage of that type is that dirt and such gets tracked into the house. Typical of the problem of any attached garage. There is also the noise that makes it into the house from the garage being right under it. My garage is about 50' from the house and we can hear my compressor at night if it starts up. It is nice when it rains, if you are one of those that is able to park your "driver" in the garage.

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:29 PM

one thing I can tell you from experience if there is a female in the house an you have a shop downstairs you will here the nagging about the smells from welding, gear oil, paint any thing with an odor. I had 1600sq' of shop under my house but I had to have a mans room with a stocked bar that took up about 500sq' now I'm hearing about the smells in MY BAR.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Indian
one thing I can tell you from experience if there is a female in the house an you have a shop downstairs you will here the nagging about the smells from welding, gear oil, paint any thing with an odor. I had 1600sq' of shop under my house but I had to have a mans room with a stocked bar that took up about 500sq' now I'm hearing about the smells in MY BAR.

my long term gf of 3.5 years is wanting us to get my "garage house" plan that i thought of about 2 years ago while looking at garage packages, saw one that was a 3 car garage 1000sq ft garage with 950 or so sq ft loft. swapped ideas to a 4 car garage and it's been in the works ever since

i was working for and insurance claim company for the past couple years while going to university, doing cleanups from floods, sewer backups, fires, ect, and i don't think the garage house could be any better for possible water damage....you won't have ground water seepage into the basement, if the water tank blows, your garage floor gets wet and that's it, no carpet to replace, no drywall to replace (usually the cement foundation would be a couple inches higher than the floor).

Last edited by Dubz; 02-09-2004 at 12:46 AM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.