My engine runs much better without an air cleaner - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My engine runs much better without an air cleaner

hey guys I have a basic 350 chevy bored .60 over, with around 10:1 compression, iron heads, comp cam xe 274h, performer eps manifold with a 1 inch open spacer and an edelbrock 1405 600 cfm carb

I've played with the idle mixture screw leaning out the mixture with the filter on but it still kinda runs like crap

i know i'm not running rich with a stock 1405 600 cfm carb, especially with the compression cam and headers i'm running

any who i took the the air cleaner off and my engine is as happy as can be, so much more torque and power down low, idle quality is also great now, I can really feel a genuine power increase

i know it isn't good to run without an aircleaner but my engine runs so much better without it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

What's your question? Just sounds like you have a restrictive air filter or element.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

lol my question is if this is normal, could it be a tuning issue ?

it's a standard air cleaner with a 14x3 spectre element, it shouldn't be as restrictive as it is
Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 PM

post a picture
Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Its an oiled spectre unit correct? The only thing I can think is its over oiled. or super dirty. They actually flow really well, some say as good or better than a K&N.

I would suggest going out and buying a cheap O Fram 14x3, or bigger filter and see if there is any difference. When you get into that size filter It's unlikely your going to get any noticeable restriction.

What heads are you running? The Edelbrock 600 may be a little small for that combination.

PS I have a 383 with the same cam, vortec heads a 850DP carb and a 12x3 spectre filter... I have never noticed any difference between air filters. I have tried up to a 14x5 Air hog filter.

Ohh yeah, what are the details of the setup? any kind of snorkels? scoops on the hood? ect? Quite often you can actually loose power without a filter because of turbulence. Filters can sometimes straighten out the flow and make you more power. My guess is over oiled.

and yes post a pic please
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllmm4 View Post
Its an oiled spectre unit correct? The only thing I can think is its over oiled. or super dirty. They actually flow really well, some say as good or better than a K&N.

I would suggest going out and buying a cheap O Fram 14x3, or bigger filter and see if there is any difference. When you get into that size filter It's unlikely your going to get any noticeable restriction.

What heads are you running? The Edelbrock 600 may be a little small for that combination.

PS I have a 383 with the same cam, vortec heads a 850DP carb and a 12x3 spectre filter... I have never noticed any difference between air filters. I have tried up to a 14x5 Air hog filter.

Ohh yeah, what are the details of the setup? any kind of snorkels? scoops on the hood? ect? Quite often you can actually loose power without a filter because of turbulence. Filters can sometimes straighten out the flow and make you more power. My guess is over oiled.

and yes post a pic please
I'll try cleaning the filter tomorrow and see if it makes a difference

once i took the filter off the idle shot up, i had to turn it down actually

power is up across the powerband, especially down low, crazy.

i'm running ported 601 heads with 2.02 and 1.60 valves

Last edited by xzero117; 05-04-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Registered

I agree with too oily/dirty and it maybe being to restrictive.

im running a spectre cone on my truck and ive used them alot in the past and the only problem ive had is when they need to be replaced but that happens with everything. I AM thinking of switching to a 4" though. Since I installed the 3" CAI it sounds supercharged and puts out better than stock but im thinking the sound is because the plumbing is too restrictive. Which is weird because ive never heard this issue with my supercharged GA or any of the previous autos and autos ive heard them being on whether being stock super or turboed. If you do drive it filterless dont do it long and especially leave it parked.
A friend of mine did that after getting home I swung over to meet with him to go cruising the next day...we go to leave and Im now sitting there waiting and waiting. Then I see him jump out of the car throwing a hissy fit so I get out go over he explains he tries it again and it just bogs. Were both stumped because we both know he cherishes that car....kinda lol. Every spare minute we had over the next 3 days we spent trying to figure it out checking and rechicking everything. We gave up but didnt quit searching online and talking to everyone we know for answers until the weekend found nothing to help us. So we started to tear it down, it has to be internal and it was...there was a huge mess of twigs grass small trash litter flowers weird crap..clogged everywhere inside of everything. First thought was sabotage....two days later we found out no one did it...it didnt hit us until we took the motor out and started tearing it down that his girlfriend finally says that she thinks its what was a birds nest....yeap sad. So we searched if it could be and we found its rare but it could happen due to the engine being warm and secluded a bird decided to make it home. We felt like idiots. It did end up costing him 3500 in parts though.
I usually go through 2 a year and only drive the truck a total of 1200 miles a year. Another indicator of upgrading lol. She sucks in a good way ;-)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

this engine is in my jeep, nothing fancy about the hood
Old 05-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Well, you know what I'm thinkin'. Float set too high, fuel pressure excessive and overpowering the float/needle & seat. Motor running way rich with the air cleaner in place, leaning out a little without the filter.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
OneMoreTime (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

If you're running a low profile cleaner base the top lid could be too close to the vent tube making it run worse.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzero117 View Post
any who i took the the air cleaner off and my engine is as happy as can be, so much more torque and power down low, idle quality is also great now, I can really feel a genuine power increase
How did you calculate this improvement ?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
How did you calculate this improvement ?
when I drive around at 1200 rpm or so it doesn't feel like i'm dogging it like when i had my filter on there

the car feels happy to chug along at 1200 rpm all of a sudden when before i need to be at at least 1400rpm

all my shift points have gone down too
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

It want's to breathe !!!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 AM

I found out many years ago that running without a paper element air cleaner can be worth 0.2 second ET.

I rather not admit how many years ago that was.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.