my epic wiring adventure - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2004, 03:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

my epic wiring adventure

alright...well i must say i am a little nervous as to how some of oyu will react to this...but the heart and soul of this beast is chevy....so thats gotta count for soemthing.
ok, i got the painless wiring harness delivred last week and today is my day off so i figured id go thru it and see wht wires i need and what i dont.
what id like to do is post all my questions here as they come up as i go thru things and if some of you with the higher knowledge would be good enough to tell me what im doing wrong or what im missing id be very much appreciative. im sort of a novice at this sort of thing, but i am confident that if i can get the engine wiring stuff taken care of, so the thing still starts and drive without shorting anythign out, ill be ok.
so first some background
its an EZ wiring harness http://www.ezwiring.com/....21 circuit setup...set up for gm steering coloums (which i have luckily!!).
and it will be going into this

67fj40 with a 1970 nova ss 402 chevy v8. its carburated with a quadrajet carb....
first question i have is, does a carbed engine have an electircal fuel pump or is it vaccum...i think its vaccuum becuase i know on cold days i have to pump the pedal a few times to get he beast to start and if it was electircal id have to have the key on to get power to an electrical fuel pump. anyways...the reason i need to know is there is a wire that goes to the electric fuel pump, so i would like to know if i can snip that and elimnate one more thing to wire in. secondly, the gas tank is below the passneger seat, and the only wires i can see goign to it are the wires that go the the fuel guage...is there a way to check for sure though to see if i have an electirc pump or not?
secondly...how do you tell if you have a 4 or 5 core radiator? thats just for my own info...but ive always wondered. i know this whole topic feels like it should be in the newbie forum, and if it needs to go there, ill send it that way...but either way i coudl really use some help. there will be more questions (and pics!!) to come as i work thru this kit!! thanx in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2004, 03:43 PM

fuel pump

if you have a MECHANICAL fuel pump it will be on the right side of the engine on, there will be a fule line that goes down there fron the carb. also why is the fuel tank under the passenger seat?? To see what kinda radiator you have either look inside the cap with some of the coolant removed and count the tubes or you could use a flashlight and point it through the core at the end and see if you can count the number of tubes.

Jesse
Old 04-25-2004, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

the gas tank is under the passenger seat becuase thats where it sits stock....i didnt design it that way, but oh well.

ok i see the fuel line right there going to the carb...does that tell you anything as to whether it is manual or not?
Old 04-25-2004, 03:57 PM

hmm

it tells me you have a mechanical pump. it also tells me you need to get rid of the rupper line from the pump to the carb you are looking for a big nasty fire. also i would probally replace the upper hose and get rid of the clamps on it. you are also gonna wanna get either an electric fan or a fan shroud. i would also replace the heater hoses as the flush tee is a common leak point and when the hoses were put on it looks like they over tightened the clamps. don't want to be out on the trail and have problems just warning you. and also if you are out trail riding i would mount an extinguisher neer you easily accesible just in case anything eved did light on fire out in the middle of no where.
Jesse
Old 04-25-2004, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

yeah i just picked this truck up and have been driving it on very short trips here and there around town for the last month. i am not suprised at all the crap that is done badly under the hood...the wiring and everyhtign else was severley fawked up too....oh well, its a project. btw i have two fire extinguishers right by my seat
the fan shroud is under works, since it is running a bit hot....
but this is good, because i dont have much experiance working on engines so if there is anyhtign else that doenst look right please let me know so i can take care of it, cuase i have no-one else to show me. i will post some more pictures...mayeb there is other stuff you can pick out.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:06 PM

fuel pump

yes you do have a mechanical pump from what it looks like.
I would start for safty reasone by replacing the fuel hose with a steel line. also I would either install an electric fan or install a fan shroud to help the cooling of the engine. after that I would rplace the radiator and heater hoses as the upper hose has something funky going with it and the flush tee is a leak wating to happen, also the hose clamps have been over tightened. I would also make sure when you run the electrical to make sure it goes through a grommet on the firewall andf make sure it is all tied up neatly to avoid problems. Also for safty on the trail i would mount a fire extingusher within reach of the drivers seat.
Jesse

also i am not familiar with jeeps but does anyone know for sure that the tank was originally mounted under the seat i am pretty sure it originally was under the back???
Old 04-25-2004, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

its a toyota land cruiser....and yes it was originaly under the seat. trust me on that one
Old 04-25-2004, 04:08 PM

booteD

sorry i posted all theat twice i got booted as i was posting and didn't know it posted
jesse
Old 04-25-2004, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

does this engine have a solenoid?
how do i determine which wire i tap into when connecting my tachometer?
Old 04-25-2004, 05:18 PM

solonoid?/

starter solonoid?? if thats what you mean it will be part of the starter where the big wire hooks up there will also be a smaller wire that is your solonoid. and also if its hei on the distributer where the power wire hooks into the side of the cap there will also be another terminal that will be the tach terminal.
Jesse
oh and your radiator looks probally like a 3 row but you would have to confirm what it is, when you have the hoses off take a look inside to see
Old 04-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

First off I would take that beast to the carwash and powerwash the engine off. Much easier to work on that way. Follow your fuel line down.If it goes to a pump on the front of the engine you have a mechanical pump. It should be right down underneath the headers on the front side. If you had an electric pump it would probably be mounted on the frame around the gas tank somewhere. I would not cut any wires off of the harness as you may want to add an electric pump in the future.

Kevin
Old 04-27-2004, 03:04 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Is that a ground wire I see bolted to the top side of your alternator mount? If it is, I think you could do better with that by grounding to your starter/engine bolt ... also run a ground wire to your frame and one to your firewall.

I did the same EZ-Wire kit on my truck last year, bro' ... so if you have any questions, I'm happy to help if I can. You can see my EZ-Wire project HERE

And I'm working on improving the main power feeds under my hood ... I should finish up this week ... you can see what I'm doing HERE

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 04-27-2004, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

thanx everyone for your replies....just so you all know, i didnt build this engine, this is how i bought it....i dont know any better as my expertise (the little that i do have) lies more in suspension so if there is more stuff you see out of line let me know so i can addresse it.
im sure i will have a whole truckload of more questions as the weekend approaches as i am hopeing to dive into this thign on saturday....ive chickend out the last two weekends cause i am worried i will totally fry soemthign under the hood....guages and switches are cheap to replace...but alternators and starters are not. i will check out that site alan and hopefully it will give me some ideas....and i guess if all else fails i can call the ez wiring service line...i mean they have it for areason right!?

just checked out the site...thats a huge help!! thanx for posting it!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

I have done three or four of the EZ Wire kits and the are simple, just follow the instructions in the manual and read the wires, they do tell you where they need to go. Get a good quality crimper, plenty of connectors, some shrink tubing, and a lot of wire ties. and you should be set to go. As far as the circuits that you do not use, roll the wire up close to the fuse panel and wire tie it up out of the way, you may find that you will need it for another circuit sometime in the future.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:59 PM

The preceding post is exactly correct. I would add only one thought:

Lay out the wiring job on a piece of plywood. Put the fuse block in the middle of the board on the side where it will go in the passenger compartment. Then lay out wires in groups (engine compartment left, right; rear left, right; dash left, center,right; etc). Wrap each group of wires temporarily with trash bag ties every six inches or so. Only then start to put them in place in the car. The job will end up a lot neater and easier.

Good luck.

Bill

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.