Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My first 350 build
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentactic View Post
I like the idea. If i can get away with a cast rotating assembly thats cool. On my CRX on nitrous id launch around 3k and stay 3/4 throttle until it hooked up and then go WOT to spray. It was on a WOT switch.

Will 110 save me some money on parts or is it more of a safety thing. For example will running 110 with a good top end make it capable of running a cast assembly?
Let me put it to you this way.

1. cast pistons and cast crank will take a LOT OF POWER.
2. $1000 race forged "Nitrous pistons" will not replace required fuel octane to avoid detonation. The result is the same...Busted burned up pistons.
The bill will just be higher.
3. Detonation must be avoided when hitting a motor HARD WITH NITROUS.
good high octane fuel that resists detonation is a key component.

You can break a cast pistons and you can break a forged race piston.
The reason why you broke it is exactly the same. Abnormal combustion. Excessive shock or excessive heat.

cast pistons can take all kinds of pressure, but cannot take pressure shock (detonation)
one is pushing hard on the piston, the other is smacking it with a hammer.
pressure shock-detonation and excessive-abnormal heat is what needs to be avoided.

I like the idea. If i can get away with a cast rotating assembly thats cool. On my CRX on nitrous id launch around 3k and stay 3/4 throttle until it hooked up and then go WOT to spray.

This is a stratagy mistake... make the car hook right from the starting line. launch the car at a very high rpm to avoid nitrous shock. Over torqing the engine, bending connecting rods.
You could have covered the 1/4 mile qucker, using a smaller shot all the way down the track.
It's hard to play catchup.
A auto trans with a 5000 rpm race converter allows you to launch at a high rpm as opposed to launching at say 3000-3500
rpm. ( you are going to over torque-mechanicaly shock the rods and crank with a big shot, from a low rpm)
Tires that hook are essential.
A turbo car is not nessessarily easier on the motor than nitrous.
Nitrous is very easy on the motor when and as long as combustion is NORMAL. It is very hard on the motor when combustion is not normal and a turbo is no more forgiving when things do go bad.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 11-23-2012 at 07:53 PM.