Hot Rod Forum banner

My first 350 build

16K views 135 replies 11 participants last post by  prostreet6t9 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so ive decided to build a SBC 350 for nitrous. The goals are a 200-300 shot. For now i guess let me just tackle the bottom end as it will be a while to fund this motor and right now im at phase one, having the block machined, And purchasing a rotating assembly. The block is an "010" 68-76
4-bolt main.

This car will be a track car with very minimal street driving. I dont even have a car as of yet. First i plan to build the motor and then go from there.

I beleive i need to run an all forged rotating assembly correct? I also beleive i want a 10:1 or less compression (Id prefer to run 91). I was told for my power goals of 600+hp i will have to run H beam rods, This correct? Also the machinist guy tells me i should balance the Rotating assembly. Is this a power thing or a reliability thing? I want the motor reliable but i cant afford to do every little trick thing to make maximum power. Anything else i should look for or watch out for is much appreciated.

Also this is my first post so hello everyone. Im not here to suck up your info and scoot. If all goes well some day i can contribute usefull info of my own. Maybe this thread can continue throughout my build from start to finnish.

-Kenny

See less See more
#127 ·
One of the things that makes hot rodding go around is the concept that anyone can walk up to any car and drive it no matter how fast it is.In my racing career I can tell you I have seen guys with tons of experience step up in a build in a faster car that they found was over their heads to drive.Joe Laspota drove RED's for yrs and bought a Spizter alter.He said it hooked so hard that they had to add padding to the cage because his helmet was hitting giving him headaches.Told us he was having a hard time driving ahead of the car.I was just so blinding fast.Before a steering component broke on it resulting in a crash he was seriously considering selling the car and going back to RED's.

As for myself I have yrs of seat time in 9.90 cars.The current RED I am smart enough to know it is way beyond what I could drive and that is why amongst other reasons why we have a driver for it.

This is only two examples,but I have seen tons more just like it.Makes me wonder about forums like these where we all are giving advise to people we really don't know how to go fast and if in fact we are getting them and who they are racing against into trouble.Ya,ya,the cert driver's test.That is a bunch of horse hockey................

#128 ·
This guys car broke and he crashed. Sounds like he was doing OK until parts broke. Id like to think most people know their limits. I know mine. I guarantee you im going to ***** foot this car until i know im capable. My dad ran 9's in the 80's. I was born to drive. But that dosent mean i have the required skills now. In my little circle im considred a good driver. even though i insist i suck. Im my own biggest critic. Ill tell you right now. If i was placed in a 10's car today and got on it and it got squirly, id let out of it likely causing a crash. It will take time getting comfortable.

I think we should save the holier then though should i be releasing my vast wisdom at the risk of killing people doing this amazing thing that i am capable of. Its just driving a car fast. Thousands do it well. Only practice is required. Its also dangerous. If you are scared of the guy next to you then pop it in reverse because now hes got reason to fear you.

#129 ·
I'm convinced one of the best ways to learn to drive is to build a car. When you understand how it ALL goes together and how one little cotter pin missing from a castle nut can cause loss of life you really have a whole new way of looking at it- its no longer just aim and push the pedal.

Then again some people are just retarded and will never learn.

#134 ·
Learning so i can get my plan together is speculation overload? A.D.D. Much? Consider this thread abandoned.

I wish i could have been born knowing everything like you guys.

this link should keep you fully engaged for many hours:
Ken, you've had every question- no matter how simple or challenging- answered by at least one person and in many cases by several. We take the time out of our lives to help people like you, and this is what you give in return? And all because a couple guys are 'over it' for whatever reason?? I mean, this thread has been going on for a good while now- 10 pages and counting!

But in any event if this shows your ability to handle anything that doesn't go exactly your way, you might be better off not trying to build a race car in the first place. Because I guarantee you- as far as aggravations go, you ain't seen NOTHING yet!!!

#136 ·
If ya wanted to keep it simple... Get yourself the S10 put a good diff in it.
Install your warmed up SBC leaving the juice off for now and just go have fun.

We did a s10 for my buddy with a pretty tame motor and he'd run 13.50's all day long and he had a blast.

The motor was actually a pretty good fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.