My first 350 build - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

So you want to spray 300 shot on the street with street tires I hope all your affairs are in order and good luck with that hope you dont kill anybody or yourself but thats just crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 AM

I can tell you now I got bout 600 hp and I will smoke slicks on the street at times the street no where near as sticky as the drag strip on street tires I can smoke them at 45 mph no problem and that can get real bad real fast if you. Dont know what your doing or car does something you not exspecting it to do thats why I wont run any street tire I use drag radials and you cant always trust them on the street. You never know whats on the road between oils and other fluids. And water. Im beginning to wonder if you really know what 600 hp all about might not sound like that much but on street its more than most people need or should have
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
You r going to kill yourself or someone, racing at that power level with crap street radials.

Get some tires that have traction. The M/T ET streets work real good. Its not worth dieing over.
Motors are replace able. If you make a boo boo and smoke a low buck motor, who cares... Stay save.
I was running falcon azenis not 500 treadwear tires off grandmas oldsmobile. Only time i had an issue was when upon turning around to line up my right front rolled through some dirt. a weak burnout didnt clean it well enough. launched and was steering left and still turning right towards the shiny ZO6 i was racing so i had to get out of it. I thought for sure i broke an axle. took me a couple days mentally playing it over to figure it out. A better tire would have only made it a worse case in that situation.

You can get killed 1000 different was street racing. This is why i dont recomend it. We were all young and dumb.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontdrivericeieatit View Post
So you want to spray 300 shot on the street with street tires I hope all your affairs are in order and good luck with that hope you dont kill anybody or yourself but thats just crazy
Nope track car only. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentactic View Post
Yep, i am doing my best with what little i know and the machinist to get it right regaurdless of the fact that im putting expensive parts in it. He said he is going to bore it a tad more then typical to make room for expansion for one example.

The machinist is very adamant that i use H beam rods for the power im looking for.

If i get away with 2k in the bottom end i think im lookin good. As some have said previously its not going to be cheap for what im trying to do. Its looking like a $5k motor on a good day. Its ok though. I know what i want, and im going to make it happen the best way i know how.

The machinist does have the pistons in hand for the final bore/hone.Right??. He needs that. With forged pistons be prepared to hear cold piston slap on the start up until the engine gains some temps.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I can tell you now I got bout 600 hp and I will smoke slicks on the street at times the street no where near as sticky as the drag strip on street tires I can smoke them at 45 mph no problem and that can get real bad real fast if you. Dont know what your doing or car does something you not exspecting it to do thats why I wont run any street tire I use drag radials and you cant always trust them on the street. You never know whats on the road between oils and other fluids. And water. Im beginning to wonder if you really know what 600 hp all about might not sound like that much but on street its more than most people need or should have
I would never run a 600+hp nitrous car on the street unless i was able to sweep and prep the whole road and the shoulders were a relatively safe exit if i lossed it. Oh ya, and the police were fine with it. Im not putting 7k into a car to have it towed off to destruction. Plus im sure thetes some jail time involved these days. no thanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
The machinist does have the pistons in hand for the final bore/hone.Right??. He needs that. With forged pistons be prepared to hear cold piston slap on the start up until the engine gains some temps.
Yes he will have the pistons for final bore. Hes seeing if he can get a good price on parts for me as of now. and he did say itll slap until it warms up.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM

I wish I had 7000 in mine I have bout 10000 in just my motor I have another 10000 in the car not counting what I payed for the car and building a. 421 stroker thats going have over 12000 in motor by time im done and im not on high end know a few with more money in there motor than mine got a buddy with over 20000 in his but thats good hear I misunderstood I thought you were saying you were going spray that on street with any street tire had me a little worried there for a minute
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I wish I had 7000 in mine I have bout 10000 in just my motor I have another 10000 in the car not counting what I payed for the car and building a. 421 stroker thats going have over 12000 in motor by time im done and im not on high end know a few with more money in there motor than mine got a buddy with over 20000 in his but thats good hear I misunderstood I thought you were saying you were going spray that on street with any street tire had me a little worried there for a minute
7k is just my wishfull thinking at this point. Every day it seems to go higher.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Yeah sad parts is its always more than you think I have yet to hit a buget I have set for my engines that old thought always pops in my head well if im do this I might as well do this and this and before I know it budget gone last couple I havent even set a budget I just add it all up when done and see what damage is
Old 11-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

My buddy gave me these Erson alluminum Roller Rockers. They are stamped as 1.50. Are these any good? will they work for my build?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM

My first 350 build.

Quote:
My buddy gave me these Erson alluminum Roller Rockers. They are stamped as 1.50. Are these any good? will they work for my build?

If you are building a small block they are size you need. They are just as good as Crane, Comp, etc.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
If you are building a small block they are size you need. They are just as good as Crane, Comp, etc.
Ok thats good. Now these seem to be "well used". Anything i should look for as far as play or wear? They have side to side play on the roller and the rocker but little to zero up and down play. They came to me covered in oil build up. Im soaking them in gas right now. I tried to clean one up for the picture. They seem to have a lot of marks in the alluminum, Antyhing to be concerned with? Will these be strong enough assuming they are not damaged to rev up 7k if need be?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Devil's advocate

Quote:
Ok thats good. Now these seem to be "well used". Anything i should look for as far as play or wear? They have side to side play on the roller and the rocker but little to zero up and down play. They came to me covered in oil build up. Im soaking them in gas right now. I tried to clean one up for the picture. They seem to have a lot of marks in the alluminum, Antyhing to be concerned with? Will these be strong enough assuming they are not damaged to rev up 7k if need be?
The problem w/used aluminum roller rockers is you do not know their history. Aluminum work hardens and becomes more likely to fail w/the more use they see. If they were used w/a solid lifter cam, or high spring pressure, or high rpm, or all of the above they can see a lot of wear. Any nicks or scratches can cause a crack to develop if the defect is in the wrong place or is bad enough. I'm not saying these will self destruct, who knows, they may outlast the engine. But what I AM saying is you need to at least clean and inspect them carefully, because a rocker arm failure can- in a worst case scenario- destroy the entire engine.

After cleaning they should be absolutely smooth when you turn the trunnion and the roller tip. The trunnion can move side to side but there shouldn't be noticeable up and down play. There should be NO gritty or notchy feeling to them when clean. You can take them apart for cleaning and inspection by removing the outside C-clips. Inspect the race for brinelling and and roller elements for pitting. Use some assembly grease or vaseline to hold the needle bearings in place when you put them back together, same theory but different grease as you do w/U-joint caps and needles.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Yeah sad parts is its always more than you think I have yet to hit a buget I have set for my engines that old thought always pops in my head well if im do this I might as well do this and this and before I know it budget gone last couple I havent even set a budget I just add it all up when done and see what damage is
The most expensive words in any rebuild are "Might as well" goes for houses to bicycles.

Take it apart and measure everything buy everypart at the same time and build all at once. This way you may still spend the same but you can get the budget right before you whip out the credit card.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.