My first 350 build - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
The problem w/used aluminum roller rockers is you do not know their history. Aluminum work hardens and becomes more likely to fail w/the more use they see. If they were used w/a solid lifter cam, or high spring pressure, or high rpm, or all of the above they can see a lot of wear. Any nicks or scratches can cause a crack to develop if the defect is in the wrong place or is bad enough. I'm not saying these will self destruct, who knows, they may outlast the engine. But what I AM saying is you need to at least clean and inspect them carefully, because a rocker arm failure can- in a worst case scenario- destroy the entire engine.

After cleaning they should be absolutely smooth when you turn the trunnion and the roller tip. The trunnion can move side to side but there shouldn't be noticeable up and down play. There should be NO gritty or notchy feeling to them when clean. You can take them apart for cleaning and inspection by removing the outside C-clips. Inspect the race for brinelling and and roller elements for pitting. Use some assembly grease or vaseline to hold the needle bearings in place when you put them back together, same theory but different grease as you do w/U-joint caps and needles.

Good luck.
A couple have damage around the pushrod slot as if the push rod escaped at one time and rode outside the groove for a while, Perhaps from over reving the motor? and on one the Rocker is tight and im sure needs replacing of the bearings at the least.

Heres the state i found them in versus after i cleaned them up with a wire brush.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

"Rode hard and put up wet" comes to mind. That coating on them could be from some kind of 'preservative'. Still, I would rather see you spend on a set of Harland Sharp or Scorpion or Yella Terra (I have no experience w/those), or even Comp Cams. You could even use stamped steel rockers if this isn't a high performance build.

But if you want to see if these are salvageable, take the worst ones apart and see what the rollers and races look like first. I have no idea if you can still buy replacement parts for these or not, but I'm sure you can find out.

Also check to see that these rockers take the same size stud as you are using. From here they look like 7/16", stock stud size is 3/8". Upgrading to 7/16" studs wouldn't be a bad idea, they're not expensive.

Last edited by cobalt327; 11-25-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
"Rode hard and put up wet" comes to mind. That coating on them could be from some kind of 'preservative'. Still, I would rather see you spend on a set of Harland Sharp or Scorpion or Yella Terra (I have no experience w/those), or even Comp Cams. You could even use stamped steel rockers if this isn't a high performance build.

But if you want to see if these are salvageable, take the worst ones apart and see what the rollers and races look like first. I have no idea if you can still buy replacement parts for these or not, but I'm sure you can find out.

Also check to see that these rockers take the same size stud as you are using. From here they look like 7/16", stock stud size is 3/8". Upgrading to 7/16" studs wouldn't be a bad idea, they're not expensive.
Ok now should i dunk them in motor oil and store them in a bag to prevent rust while they sit waiting to be installed? As far as stud size i javent purchased heads yet so i can just buy heads with 7/16 studs right? If these are more risk/hassle then they are worth i will gladly just buy a new set.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:58 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentactic View Post
Ok now should i dunk them in motor oil and store them in a bag to prevent rust while they sit waiting to be installed?
Sure, why not. Or put them in a covered coffee can of oil, just so there's no more dust and dirt getting on them.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sure, why not. Or put them in a covered coffee can of oil, just so there's no more dust and dirt getting on them.
Sounds like a plan. And sorry i added to my last post.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:11 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentactic View Post
Sounds like a plan. And sorry i added to my last post.
If you haven't bought heads yet, I'd say to go ahead and get them w/7/16" studs. But if you want to use these rockers, just be sure to measure them to see what size stud they use, and buy the heads accordingly.

Now, as to whether or not to use these rockers: I tend to not tell guys what to do. Instead I try to give enough info to let them decide for themselves. This is one of those cases. I cannot be your conscience here. If I say "Sure, use them, they'll be fine!", then they take a ragged dump on you and that takes out your engine, I'm not going to be there to help you pick up the pieces. And neither is anyone else on this board.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
If you haven't bought heads yet, I'd say to go ahead and get them w/7/16" studs. But if you want to use these rockers, just be sure to measure them to see what size stud they use, and buy the heads accordingly.

Now, as to whether or not to use these rockers: I tend to not tell guys what to do. Instead I try to give enough info to let them decide for themselves. This is one of those cases. I cannot be your conscience here. If I say "Sure, use them, they'll be fine!", then they take a ragged dump on you and that takes out your engine, I'm not going to be there to help you pick up the pieces. And neither is anyone else on this board.
Fair enough. I guess ill see what its going to take to get these 100% and then decide if its worth it.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 PM

the aluminum will still be 35 years old
Old 11-25-2012, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

My first 350 build

Check out these roller rockers. Scorpion Race Series Rocker Arms SCP1001BL - SummitRacing.com. I think you would have peace of mind bolting on a set of Scorpion roller rockers.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
the aluminum will still be 35 years old
Is that how old these things are? I figured they were old but not 35 years lol
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
Check out these roller rockers. Scorpion Race Series Rocker Arms SCP1001BL - SummitRacing.com. I think you would have peace of mind bolting on a set of Scorpion roller rockers.

Ok how would those do on say these heads? And would those heads fit my build plans? The peace of mind is well worth $220. While im at it, is that price for two heads or one?

Assault Racing Bare SBC Small Block Chevy Aluminum Cylinder Heads Angle Plug 350 383 400 - KMJ Performance
Old 11-25-2012, 03:41 PM

I used sig erson cams in the 70s.we had conical springs,those rockers,aluminum retainers.
the retainers were not a good idea,we allowed a couple seasons on the rockers but figured they would fatigue,,,never broke one.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 PM

assault heads? never used them. heard the castings are ok and the rest not so good,dont know for sure. I always buy premium valves and springs from the cam company
Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

those heads are really good from what I've heard, much better than procomps. I'd like to try a set but I have the last sbc I'll ever build in my basement. To me it makes no sense to build one any more.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

I'd at least pull those apart and see what the needle Brg's look like.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.