My first 350 build - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentactic View Post
Well i was considering a fox body mustang but it dosent seem to be the easiest route based on other responses in this thread. Im open to any ideas fir small light cars that would be less work to get setup right.
What class do you want to race in. I didnt see that posted. Fox body mustang is the right car for some classes. Just depends on what your trying to do. Any car will need some major rework to put 600 puppies to the ground.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
What class do you want to race in. I didnt see that posted. Fox body mustang is the right car for some classes. Just depends on what your trying to do. Any car will need some major rework to put 600 puppies to the ground.
Im not really shooting for any class. Just want to play around.

I was just thinking... S10. Is that a terrible idea?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

I am going switch gears alittle.Still think in the long run your better off spending into a LSx.

We have a whole career buying distress project roller cars where the builder had to have the best of everything,but ran out of money and was behind on his bills.You just missed the Drag Racer's auction in Indy where there is a number of rollers that are run threw there.

You need to decide what kind of car you want.Doorslammer,open car,etc.

It is way much cheaper to buy a roller over building one.You just need to know what to look for or post it here before you buy.Look at this link for rollers:

Race, performance & street cars, engines, engine parts, trailers for sale
Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Im not really shooting for any class. Just want to play around.

I was just thinking... S10. Is that a terrible idea?
Well if you pick a class it will save you some cash over all. Just becasue you will need to follow class rules. If you want to bracket race then 500 or 600 doesnt really matter, just how well its dailed in.

I would go to the local track where you plan to race and see what is what. Ask everyone what they do and stay to see who is left at the end of the night.

As for race car only i have my Heart set on a pro street vette eithe early 50's style or split window style. You can buy tube chassis and bodies for both. Fully built race car without a single original part. usally about 15-25k

Mustang will be faster than an s10. Camero is very areo dynamic but a little heavier. S10 is shapped like a brick they can go fast but takes more power. They are a little easier to tube. Vega, monza, mavrick, pinto, mustnag 2 are all light choices that have good parts available.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
I am going switch gears alittle.Still think in the long run your better off spending into a LSx.

We have a whole career buying distress project roller cars where the builder had to have the best of everything,but ran out of money and was behind on his bills.You just missed the Drag Racer's auction in Indy where there is a number of rollers that are run threw there.

You need to decide what kind of car you want.Doorslammer,open car,etc.

It is way much cheaper to buy a roller over building one.You just need to know what to look for or post it here before you buy.Look at this link for rollers:

Race, performance & street cars, engines, engine parts, trailers for sale
Id prefer it as light as possible what ever vehicle so gutted doors welded shut would be in order. It will ride a trailer to and from the track.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Id prefer it as light as possible what ever vehicle so gutted doors welded shut would be in order. It will ride a trailer to and from the track.
Then you need a steel tube chassis and a firberglass body. They have a bunch to choose from out there.

Look here at least make sure it in a class so you can race if you decide to get more into it.

http://www.nhra.com/nhra101/classes....ookieSupport=1
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

One of the 17 cars at last count we bought and sold was a short wheel base center steer old Alter roadster.It was a 4 link/strut.Ran it that way for a season(it was a handful at the top end)and stretched it.A 9.90 car with a easy 1.27 60' that hooked like clockwork.We had to add wt to it.It was 1850lbs.

Seems these days once you cross the line into a 9 second car,it does get expensive.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,158 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Cheapest and fastest ride would be a front-engine dragster. I've seen rollers from $5,000 to $10,000. Add your motor/trans and go 9's or 8's or 7's or 6's, depending on the chassis certification sticker and the amount of horsepressure you're generating. Just be careful and don't buy a car that won't chassis cert.
And by the way, it won't take a whole lot of motor. 350 horsepower will put an 1,800 lb car in the nines.

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-26-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 PM

buy an old pro gas chassis. then bolt something in it and turn some kind of times
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,158 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
buy an old pro gas chassis. then bolt something in it and turn some kind of times
Are ya winding down on this one Vinnie?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 PM

ya tech,I watch to see if something new comes up. I prefer to talk about something in progress rather than what might be? My biggest problem is I have to say something even after its over,lol. What about you???
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Theoretical speculation overload. I got out several posts ago.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 AM

Last photo:

One of the things that makes hot rodding go around is the concept that anyone can walk up to any car and drive it no matter how fast it is.In my racing career I can tell you I have seen guys with tons of experience step up in a build in a faster car that they found was over their heads to drive.Joe Laspota drove RED's for yrs and bought a Spizter alter.He said it hooked so hard that they had to add padding to the cage because his helmet was hitting giving him headaches.Told us he was having a hard time driving ahead of the car.I was just so blinding fast.Before a steering component broke on it resulting in a crash he was seriously considering selling the car and going back to RED's.

As for myself I have yrs of seat time in 9.90 cars.The current RED I am smart enough to know it is way beyond what I could drive and that is why amongst other reasons why we have a driver for it.

This is only two examples,but I have seen tons more just like it.Makes me wonder about forums like these where we all are giving advise to people we really don't know how to go fast and if in fact we are getting them and who they are racing against into trouble.Ya,ya,the cert driver's test.That is a bunch of horse hockey................
Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
One of the things that makes hot rodding go around is the concept that anyone can walk up to any car and drive it no matter how fast it is.In my racing career I can tell you I have seen guys with tons of experience step up in a build in a faster car that they found was over their heads to drive.Joe Laspota drove RED's for yrs and bought a Spizter alter.He said it hooked so hard that they had to add padding to the cage because his helmet was hitting giving him headaches.Told us he was having a hard time driving ahead of the car.I was just so blinding fast.Before a steering component broke on it resulting in a crash he was seriously considering selling the car and going back to RED's.

As for myself I have yrs of seat time in 9.90 cars.The current RED I am smart enough to know it is way beyond what I could drive and that is why amongst other reasons why we have a driver for it.

This is only two examples,but I have seen tons more just like it.Makes me wonder about forums like these where we all are giving advise to people we really don't know how to go fast and if in fact we are getting them and who they are racing against into trouble.Ya,ya,the cert driver's test.That is a bunch of horse hockey................
This guys car broke and he crashed. Sounds like he was doing OK until parts broke. Id like to think most people know their limits. I know mine. I guarantee you im going to ***** foot this car until i know im capable. My dad ran 9's in the 80's. I was born to drive. But that dosent mean i have the required skills now. In my little circle im considred a good driver. even though i insist i suck. Im my own biggest critic. Ill tell you right now. If i was placed in a 10's car today and got on it and it got squirly, id let out of it likely causing a crash. It will take time getting comfortable.

I think we should save the holier then though should i be releasing my vast wisdom at the risk of killing people doing this amazing thing that i am capable of. Its just driving a car fast. Thousands do it well. Only practice is required. Its also dangerous. If you are scared of the guy next to you then pop it in reverse because now hes got reason to fear you.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I'm convinced one of the best ways to learn to drive is to build a car. When you understand how it ALL goes together and how one little cotter pin missing from a castle nut can cause loss of life you really have a whole new way of looking at it- its no longer just aim and push the pedal.

Then again some people are just retarded and will never learn.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.