Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   My first 350 build (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/my-first-350-build-226383.html)

kentactic 11-22-2012 12:46 PM

My first 350 build

Ok so ive decided to build a SBC 350 for nitrous. The goals are a 200-300 shot. For now i guess let me just tackle the bottom end as it will be a while to fund this motor and right now im at phase one, having the block machined, And purchasing a rotating assembly. The block is an "010" 68-76
4-bolt main.

This car will be a track car with very minimal street driving. I dont even have a car as of yet. First i plan to build the motor and then go from there.

I beleive i need to run an all forged rotating assembly correct? I also beleive i want a 10:1 or less compression (Id prefer to run 91). I was told for my power goals of 600+hp i will have to run H beam rods, This correct? Also the machinist guy tells me i should balance the Rotating assembly. Is this a power thing or a reliability thing? I want the motor reliable but i cant afford to do every little trick thing to make maximum power. Anything else i should look for or watch out for is much appreciated.

Also this is my first post so hello everyone. Im not here to suck up your info and scoot. If all goes well some day i can contribute usefull info of my own. Maybe this thread can continue throughout my build from start to finnish.

-Kenny

vinniekq2 11-22-2012 01:10 PM

hello and welcome.First,you are starting at the wrong end of the car.
or better yet,get a car, set up the suspension(or buy a used rolling chasis)driveline and engine need to be matched for racing.
RE: balancing=mandatory and yes it does add a small amount of horse power.
Racing and budget? start with a car,,,,

kentactic 11-22-2012 01:22 PM

Well part of the reason im starting with the motor is i live in an apartment with a small single car garage. Im doing this mainly for something to do. The car kind of has to come second as i will likely be building iy in a friends garage and dont want a car with no motor taking up his garage for a long time while i slowly build it.

My budget for the motor is bassically unlimited as ill just throw money at it check by check. but id like to have the motor completed in 9 months or so. Calculate that with my available income and it would ideally be around a $3500 motor. If that price is unrealistic ill just have to extend the build time.

vinniekq2 11-22-2012 01:34 PM

3500 will give you a very nice reliable near stock engine. With out a car how in the world can you figure what parts to put in what engine? something as simple as what generation 350 could mess you up.

techinspector1 11-22-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1614457)
First,you are starting at the wrong end of the car.

LMAO :thumbup: Vinnie, you are my hero.

kentactic 11-22-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1614467)
3500 will give you a very nice reliable near stock engine. With out a car how in the world can you figure what parts to put in what engine? something as simple as what generation 350 could mess you up.

Near stock?... I know i can build an all after market cast rotating assembly bottom end for around 1200. Of course i cant use cast parts... but a stock 350 for 3500? The old saying "they saw me coming" would come to mind.

making my own motor mounting points etc in said car is not an issue. Infact i was considering putting the motor in a fox body mustang.

kentactic 11-22-2012 01:45 PM

Really looking for info regaurding bottom end component requirements for a reliable nitrous motor.

vinniekq2 11-22-2012 01:55 PM

sorry K,maybe ask CnC what it costs to blue print a block? you need your pistons before you bore the block,therefore you need the heads before you choose the pistons. The block needs to besquared/decked/align honed after it was cleaned,threads chased,new frost plugs and cam bearings.
you will need the crank and rods and pistons to trial fit after boring before decking and squaring

Price out those parts and machine work,add 250-300 for balancing after the second or third trial fitting and measuring piston to valve clearance.
research for parts pricing is your job because your suppliers might be different from the ones I use here?

kentactic 11-22-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1614477)
sorry K,maybe ask CnC what it costs to blue print a block? you need your pistons before you bore the block,therefore you need the heads before you choose the pistons. The block needs to besquared/decked/align honed after it was cleaned,threads chased,new frost plugs and cam bearings.
you will need the crank and rods and pistons to trial fit after boring before decking and squaring

Price out those parts and machine work,add 250-300 for balancing after the second or third trial fitting and measuring piston to valve clearance.
research for parts pricing is your job because your suppliers might be different from the ones I use here?

Right im still not certain on the exact process time line of what i need to do what. as of now my plans are have the block tested and then ask the machinist what parts he needs to move forward.

But again if he needs the entire rotating assembly... all my questions above come into play. If heads are also needed to complete the machining process what stats am i looking for in a head? High cc Low cc? Big exhaust valves? etc.

I dont mean to throw a million questions out.

vinniekq2 11-22-2012 02:19 PM

My question to you,who is going to assemble this engine?

kentactic 11-22-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1614492)
My question to you,who is going to assemble this engine?

Probably the machinist. Atleast the bottom end. Did i pass all the tests? Can i get my Origonal questions answered now? lol

prostreet6t9 11-22-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentactic (Post 1614471)
Really looking for info regaurding bottom end component requirements for a reliable nitrous motor.

You will need a good set of forged pistons. Get yourself a good fuel system and Ignition. If your gonna use a fox body save some money for Diff and suspension up grades.

kentactic 11-22-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 (Post 1614499)
You will need a good set of forged pistons. Get yourself a good fuel system and Ignition. If your gonna use a fox body save some money for Diff and suspension up grades.

As far as Crank and Rods do i need to go forged? The machinist said i have to use H beam forged rods. Roger that on fuel, ignition, diff and suspension.

prostreet6t9 11-22-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentactic (Post 1614500)
As far as Crank and Rods do i need to go forged? The machinist said i have to use H beam forged rods. Roger that on fuel, ignition, diff and suspension.

It would be a good idea. Nitrous is pretty hard on stuff.

kentactic 11-22-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 (Post 1614517)
It would be a good idea. Nitrous is pretty hard on stuff.

Alrighty then thats what ill do. Even if it takes 2 years (i hope not) to build this car it will happen. Just a little at a time.