My first 350 build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My first 350 build

Ok so ive decided to build a SBC 350 for nitrous. The goals are a 200-300 shot. For now i guess let me just tackle the bottom end as it will be a while to fund this motor and right now im at phase one, having the block machined, And purchasing a rotating assembly. The block is an "010" 68-76
4-bolt main.

This car will be a track car with very minimal street driving. I dont even have a car as of yet. First i plan to build the motor and then go from there.

I beleive i need to run an all forged rotating assembly correct? I also beleive i want a 10:1 or less compression (Id prefer to run 91). I was told for my power goals of 600+hp i will have to run H beam rods, This correct? Also the machinist guy tells me i should balance the Rotating assembly. Is this a power thing or a reliability thing? I want the motor reliable but i cant afford to do every little trick thing to make maximum power. Anything else i should look for or watch out for is much appreciated.

Also this is my first post so hello everyone. Im not here to suck up your info and scoot. If all goes well some day i can contribute usefull info of my own. Maybe this thread can continue throughout my build from start to finnish.

-Kenny

Advertisement

Last edited by kentactic; 11-22-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 01:10 PM

hello and welcome.First,you are starting at the wrong end of the car.
or better yet,get a car, set up the suspension(or buy a used rolling chasis)driveline and engine need to be matched for racing.
RE: balancing=mandatory and yes it does add a small amount of horse power.
Racing and budget? start with a car,,,,
Old 11-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Well part of the reason im starting with the motor is i live in an apartment with a small single car garage. Im doing this mainly for something to do. The car kind of has to come second as i will likely be building iy in a friends garage and dont want a car with no motor taking up his garage for a long time while i slowly build it.

My budget for the motor is bassically unlimited as ill just throw money at it check by check. but id like to have the motor completed in 9 months or so. Calculate that with my available income and it would ideally be around a $3500 motor. If that price is unrealistic ill just have to extend the build time.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:34 PM

3500 will give you a very nice reliable near stock engine. With out a car how in the world can you figure what parts to put in what engine? something as simple as what generation 350 could mess you up.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
First,you are starting at the wrong end of the car.
LMAO Vinnie, you are my hero.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
3500 will give you a very nice reliable near stock engine. With out a car how in the world can you figure what parts to put in what engine? something as simple as what generation 350 could mess you up.
Near stock?... I know i can build an all after market cast rotating assembly bottom end for around 1200. Of course i cant use cast parts... but a stock 350 for 3500? The old saying "they saw me coming" would come to mind.

making my own motor mounting points etc in said car is not an issue. Infact i was considering putting the motor in a fox body mustang.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

Really looking for info regaurding bottom end component requirements for a reliable nitrous motor.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:55 PM

sorry K,maybe ask CnC what it costs to blue print a block? you need your pistons before you bore the block,therefore you need the heads before you choose the pistons. The block needs to besquared/decked/align honed after it was cleaned,threads chased,new frost plugs and cam bearings.
you will need the crank and rods and pistons to trial fit after boring before decking and squaring

Price out those parts and machine work,add 250-300 for balancing after the second or third trial fitting and measuring piston to valve clearance.
research for parts pricing is your job because your suppliers might be different from the ones I use here?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
sorry K,maybe ask CnC what it costs to blue print a block? you need your pistons before you bore the block,therefore you need the heads before you choose the pistons. The block needs to besquared/decked/align honed after it was cleaned,threads chased,new frost plugs and cam bearings.
you will need the crank and rods and pistons to trial fit after boring before decking and squaring

Price out those parts and machine work,add 250-300 for balancing after the second or third trial fitting and measuring piston to valve clearance.
research for parts pricing is your job because your suppliers might be different from the ones I use here?
Right im still not certain on the exact process time line of what i need to do what. as of now my plans are have the block tested and then ask the machinist what parts he needs to move forward.

But again if he needs the entire rotating assembly... all my questions above come into play. If heads are also needed to complete the machining process what stats am i looking for in a head? High cc Low cc? Big exhaust valves? etc.

I dont mean to throw a million questions out.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 PM

My question to you,who is going to assemble this engine?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
My question to you,who is going to assemble this engine?
Probably the machinist. Atleast the bottom end. Did i pass all the tests? Can i get my Origonal questions answered now? lol
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentactic View Post
Really looking for info regaurding bottom end component requirements for a reliable nitrous motor.
You will need a good set of forged pistons. Get yourself a good fuel system and Ignition. If your gonna use a fox body save some money for Diff and suspension up grades.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 View Post
You will need a good set of forged pistons. Get yourself a good fuel system and Ignition. If your gonna use a fox body save some money for Diff and suspension up grades.
As far as Crank and Rods do i need to go forged? The machinist said i have to use H beam forged rods. Roger that on fuel, ignition, diff and suspension.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentactic View Post
As far as Crank and Rods do i need to go forged? The machinist said i have to use H beam forged rods. Roger that on fuel, ignition, diff and suspension.
It would be a good idea. Nitrous is pretty hard on stuff.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 View Post
It would be a good idea. Nitrous is pretty hard on stuff.
Alrighty then thats what ill do. Even if it takes 2 years (i hope not) to build this car it will happen. Just a little at a time.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.