My First Cutting Torch - Tips and Tricks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My First Cutting Torch - Tips and Tricks

Hi All, I just scored a Victor Professional Journeyman II 540/510 Tool Box Outfit with 315FC on a trade. The only time I have used one is at a friends place, he'd have it set up and all I did was cut and shop class 20 something yrs ago. I have no idea what all the different tips are for or where to start. I do know thats the standard cutting tip installed on the handle, I also know the rosebud tips are more for heating larger surfaces but there are a lot of tips here. There is a curved "FE" tip, there are 1-7 W tips, three rosebuds 4, 6 and 8 MFA. Picture below.

Any tips or tricks are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1010.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	64714  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Nice selection of tips there. Everything from heating to cutting to brazing to welding. I like the one that looks adjustable, too.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

I would print the pressure/tip size charts on this web page and keep it with your torch.

Clean tips and the correct pressures are the 2 best tips I can give.

I have seen way to much pressure used all to often. Just a waste of $$.

Correct adjustment is the key to a good cut or weld, the rest is learned technique.

http://www.hoopersupply.com/tipchart.html
Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Clamp a piece of angle iron to the material that your cutting to use as a straightedge. It m!akes it much easier to learn to use a cutting torch.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 AM

Last photo:

thanks Cobalt, I got a lot more than I know what to do with, thats for sure!

Old Fool, thanks for the tips, I watched some youtubes on getting started and they stressed the pressures as well, I will be sure to keep an eye on that. Also, I printed those charts that you linked me to out on 4x6" sticky labels and stuck them inside the box so they are with the torch at all times. Super Thanks

hpete, thanks for the tip, I was going to ask what the best straight edge is. I already checked out some DIY circle guides, will be making one soon.

if anyone has any other tips/tricks or accessories they like to use with their torch, especially home made jigs or clever bottle carts or really any projects they used their torch on that shows its different capabilities, please share your experience and pics if possible.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 AM

Last photo:

Here is a trick for you to practise. Try cutting a peice of steel and having "NO" cleanup!!! Sounds like rubbish?? No it is not. Try this. When you start cutting, as well as look at your speed, also "listen" to your speed. If the sound is like a "putt, putt, putt", but really fast, it means that your speed is right. The way I learned how to do this is to listen to a oxy setup on a profile cutter. Give it a go and see what happens. I must stress that this technique takes some time to master. Good luck!!!

Check out this link to a Youtube video and see if you can hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3-fVPTutBk

Last edited by mi chael; 05-24-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

Nicely bought Sir.

My grandad was a welder since WW2. The 2 things I cherish most from him are the things he taught me; and his welding equipt.

PS they don't make good coat hangers anymore, so you cant use those for odd jobs around the house.

a few things that helped me;

Keep a notebook for every time you do a different job; write down things that worked, settings, speeds etc AND maybe more importantly, write down your failures.

If you practice on a piece of scrap, saw it in half after it cools and inspect your work for porosity etc

Buy a good helmet and gloves. a great pair of gloves will last forever and make it easier, same with a good helmet. Forget about blue flames and poker cards...go to your local weld shop with a budget and get the best equipment you can reasonably afford.

If you have insurance, go to your doctor and see if you can get a jar of Silvadene (sp) This is a burn cream that does wonders; My father has had a jar of it in his fridge in the shop since Id say 1985 (he was working inside a stainless boiler and someone did a blowdown while he was in there...lucky to be alive.

Start with soldering, cutting and brazing and work your way up to welding. You can even learn how to hammer weld.

I don't know if its still an issue; but here in the northeast, there was a shortage of acetelyne for awhile; a lot of guys were going to other, cheaper gasses for practicing and lower heat requirement-jobs.

If you want to get real trick; try to find tips or even a torch for aluminum gas welding...these put out a real soft flame and can actually be used on steel when you need to be more delicate. I looked at your pic and didnt see one; I may have missed it though
Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

info

subscribe to welding tips and tricks .com, jody does a video each week,, look at all his oxy-acety info first. He links to Smith Welding safety info,. a manufacturing company that makes welding equipment. , Oxygen gages can explode if you don't follow safety rules.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

AL gas welding.

You need special goggles to gas weld aluminum to prevent eye damage. My nephew is a jewler and uses hypodermic needles for tips to do very fine jewlery repair work.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.