My first engine project BBC/454 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2003, 04:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

My first engine project BBC/454

I have a lowered 71' Chevy C10/Short bed that is used mainly for Saturday night cruising. I'm in the process of rebuilding the 454. What I have so far:
1989 454 4-bolt Mark IV block with Scat 9000 crank and Eagle SIR I beam 5140 steel connecting rods. Heads are new aluminum Edelbrock Performer RPM oval port Edelbrock Dual-Quad intake with two Carter AFB 625cfm carbs.. A TH400 trans. w/shift kit. A 12 bolt rearend non-posi with 4.11 gears running on Goodyear Eagle 295/50R15(rear) 235/60R15(front). I hope to change to a posi and a little milder gears in the future.

Question (1) I'm have trouble diciding on a cam shaft, the one Edelbrock suggests as part of their " Power Package" has Int 240 Exh 246 at .050, Lift of Int.560 Exh.573, power range listed at 1500 to 6500 RPM. Is this a good "streetable" cam?

Question(2) What kind of pistons should I go with to keep the compression below 10? (I'm thinking a .095 dome)

Question(3) What size of a Torque converter should I use?

Question(4) Whats the pro's and con's of going with the Dual-Quad vs. a single 850cf carb

My concern in all of this, is balancing Hp with Torque on what I think is a 4000 to 4500lbs vehical. I know this is a long posting, but everything works together and I would like to get it right.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2003, 06:33 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the edelbrock cam isnt the best grind out there but it will work, it will have a nice rumble to it..I would suggest the com cams x-treme 274 for your 454, and only because I have ran this cam in a 402, with good results..With the added cubes the torque should be breath taking...

10:1 w/ aluminum heads should be fine on pump gas and thats what I would recomend..

I would use a 2500 stall, any less and the shifts between the gears will be harsh, and it will work well with what you have..In a big block a 2500 stall will likely stall a little higher and thats even better..

Ill only say I had the two 4's set up on a 427 in a 67 impala and I didnt like it, it had 2 old carter carbs but they worked ok, it just didnt run that well, I stuck a performer RPM intake on it with a 800cfm DP holley w/ a 2" spacer and it did run much better, and later I stuck a 402 in there and tried the 2 4's again and had the same results..I couldnt keep the carbs adjusted right and it didnt want to open up on top end like it did with the single holley..

I would forget trying to hook it up untill you find a posi, I would however use the 4.10's and run a 28" tall or taller tire on the rear..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.