My first hot rod project.Lot's of questions - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 06:27 AM

Last journal entry: 41 chevy frame on the move.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Body Lifting day!!!

Well it's been a long time coming.Tody I will lift the body off the frame.I need to purchase two more 6ton jack stands for the rear support.I have two for the front.I post pictures tonight(by 6pm est) .PLEASE STAY TUNED!!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Seperation has taken place

Well the body has been lifted .Next the frame will go onto a rotisarry.Then into the garage for suspension updates and a thorough cleaning and paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fall2011 154.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	60688   Click image for larger version

Name:	fall2011 159.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	60689  
Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Looks good and a pretty rust free body. That frame is very strong in stock form and will take as much HP as you want to add. What front suspension are you going to use? I used a Heidts IFS when I did mine.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"When buying a used car, punch the buttons on the radio. If all the stations are rock and roll, there's a good chance the transmission is shot." - Larry Lujack
Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Looking good. I have a '42 Chevy with an Olds 455 and did not have to modify my firewall. Sorry about your mom.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

As for front suspension,I will useing Chassi engineering bolt in independent system.455olds thanxs for the concern.Extremley unexpected.I'm taking pictures of the stock drivetrain.I'll be posting it on craigs list for sale.Every little penny will help the project along.455olds,I see you have the modern brakebooster/brake master cyclinder set up.I will going for that "Resto-rod" look.I'll retain peddals going into the floor boards.Automatic trans.My left knee can't take the use of a clutch.But if I was to use a standard,It would be a hemi 4spd with a Mr. gasket vertigate shifter.Enough b.s. for now.
stefanP
Old 12-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

Steel purchasing has begun

Well a hour a the local steel shop and progress has begun.I picked up some of the small pieces.Then handed my hit list with steel order.I'll tell you tomorro what the cost was.So far I spent $40.00 bucks today(surplus steel $1.00 a pound).Pictures to come.
stefanP
Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
That frame is very strong in stock form and will take as much HP as you want to add. What front suspension are you going to use? I used a Heidts IFS when I did mine.
I am leaning that way (Heits IFS Superide II) for mine

But I have not made up my mind yet,
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanP
As for front suspension,I will using Chassi engineering bolt in independent system.
stefanP
This also sounds very interesting to me, so I will be watching for the outcome on this
Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

The STEEL MAN COMITH!!!

Well,This is a picture of the steel I purchased.The small stuff on the ground is surplus steel(basiclly second hand stuff).The metal on the cart is new.Plus there is also a "cut charge".Rite now I'm at $250.90.What I did was to bundle the size lengths togther.Easyer to fit in my mini van. Next I have to buy a couple of cut off wheels for my chop saw.Plus take a ride to harbor freight store .I hope to start on or before saturday morning.I'm still cleaning the garage Enjoy
stefanP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12272011 011.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	61169  
Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

Just ran across your post...I finished my '40 Chevy coupe a couple of years ago, and used a 700R4 transmission, 69 Camaro rearend (4.10 gear), and sbc. You shouldn't need to replace the firewall...plenty or room. Set the motor back far enough that you can still get the distributor out, and you'll have enough room. I had a local shop recore my radiator so it would still fit into the original mount, used a flex fan and a Walker shroud (also used the short water pump)....have a/c and after three years, no problem with overheating...but there is still room up front for an electric fan, if needed.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanP
Well,I finally got my 41 chevy home.A couple of questions from this newbee What about the wiring harness? Is this something I will have to make myself? or can I buy it? As for a transmission I read a lot about the 700r4 .Is there a certain year trans I need to purchase? My current hit list of parts so far,
1)79 trans am front sub section.
Next I will look for a rear end.Like I ssaid before the real work will begin after my 46th birthday.
stefanP
why not buy a good running parts car and use everything from that ?harness,motor&tranny, rearend,etc....I bought a running,85 camero for my next project a 54 Chevy P/u (I got lucky) with a rebuilt TPI motor 20,000 mi. with a rebuilt tranny 900 mi.,disc brake,possi rear end for(1,500),it'll melt the tires....The guy came in for a paint job .(2,500-3,500) was too much so he sold it to me) acouple weeks later.....When its done and driving I'll upgrade as needed...But I'll probably sell it before that....If I wait untill I have everything I want it'll never get done,,,
Get it running and driving first...Its a lot more fun driving a cool car with used parts from the junk yard than dreaming about the perfct car and never getting it done...besides all those new parts you buy today wont be the best stuff out there in 5=10 yrs when you get finished and all that shiney chrome and billit aluminum definitely wont look new when its done years later...and you dont have to worry about things like weld splatter ruining the finish on a new componet when your fabbing it in....like a powder coated rear end for instance..not to mention scratches... man, all that worrying and extra prep just slows you down...Thats how my friends and I always liked to build them. cheap and quick...Building is a lot of fun but its the driving that really hooks you...I dont care how ratty the car is ,when you drive it down the road the first time (legaly) you wont be able to wipe the grin off your face for a couple days.....get er done you'll see..... I was hooked at an early age and never wanted to do anything else...Its my uncles fault ,he gave me a ride in his 40 chevy stock car when I was 13 or 14 and thats all I was able to think about since...I handed him wrenches for a couple years and bought my first car at 15 ,a 55 chevy ,then a 57 chevy at 16 and finally got to drive by myself on pavement (legally)....

Last edited by deadbodyman; 12-30-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
If I wait untill I have everything I want it'll never get done,,,
Get it running and driving first...Its a lot more fun driving a cool car with used parts from the junk yard than dreaming about the perfect car and never getting it done...Thats how my friends and I always liked to build them. cheap and quick...Building is a lot of fun but its the driving that really hooks you...I dont care how ratty the car is ,when you drive it down the road the first time (legally) you wont be able to wipe the grin off your face for a couple days.....get er done you'll see....
amen brother
Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

I agree with deadbodyman and matts37chevy in that if a guy waits until he has everything, the project will never get done. My car club is full of guys "gathering stuff", before they start the project.....and a lot of them have been years in gathering, and will probably never finish it. If you can run across a complete car like deadbodyman was talking about, that's great....but sometimes they just ain't there! When I first drug my '40 Chevy home, I couldn't even weld (which, due to how much metal needed replaced on the car was significant, and had to teach myself before I could start on her, but that was the fun of it. I had been a drag racer back in the 60's and 70's, built several race cars, but had been out of "cars" for years, had never built a street rod, and no longer had most of the necessary tools, let alone any parts. I started going to local car shows and picking the brains of guys who had built similar cars and gained a wealth of knowledge. Thru these people, I ran across used parts (and some new ones from guys who were tired of gathering) that I could use. It took me 4 years to finish the car, but was a labor of love and everytime I crawl in it and take a spin, I still hang my lips on my ears grinning.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

I apprciate of the advise.
stefanP
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

Finally moving forward.I post pictures of the welding on the rotiarrie in my journal.As for engine,looks like I maybe going off the beaten path.BIG 6 OR STARIGHT 8 Thanxs for haning in there.
stefanP
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 AM
if you beat my boat, well race

Last photo:

i have 2 1942 pontiacs that i dabble with.

the 42 4 door has a cadi front clip in it.
the 42 2 door has a complete frame off of a 91 chevy caprice.

ill tell ya, it was much easier and cheaper to do the complete frame swap.
not to mention 4 link rear suspension.

it may be too late to consider this for your project, but wanted to throw it out there.

yes, the caprice frame was shorter, i lengthened it 4" the straight rails made that pretty easy!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.