My first "hotrod" 67 continental 56k carefull - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 10:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My first "hotrod" 67 continental 56k carefull

Well like it says this is my first hotrod build and first real post on this forum although i've been reading it for a few days now. But here goes nothing Im 18 and about 6 months ago i got my first job in a shop doing repair and some small fab work. but heres my car and some background on it.

67 lincoln continental hard top. got it for 1500 dollars with 47000 original miles. Although the car has not been run in probably 10 years and i am yet to fire it. I turned it over its not seized and i did a compression test, it had great compression in 6/8 cylinders and bad compression in 2. my boss said theres a good chance that the valves are sticking and i could get lucky.

note that i dont have a garage which is unfortunate but i built myself a shop in the back yard of my house that is 20 feet long, 6 feet wide, and 9.25 feet high so i can store my things and work on parts or what ever it may be with out driving my mother crazy covering her poarch with car parts. so here it goes. the shop first

the one that looks like a semi truck trailor

the inside, with air conditioning because i live in arizona where it gets to be well over 100 dagrees.

sitting at the shop i bought it from the body is really straight, a few little spots here and there but no real major rust or anything. a really small rust spot on the right quater and driver floor but easy fix in my opinion. i guess ill find out once i get there

recieving my car

the night after i got it i stripped the interior out of it, seats/carpet/trunk liner, llower half of the dash, and i scraped up all the old "sound deadner" is what im guessing it was. what do you guys reccomend for sound deadner as well?

^ moving that front seat out was one of the hardest things ive done in my entire life.i sware that thing weighs 150+ and by myself it probably took me near 45 minutes to muscle it out of there.

right after the seat was out.

theres not much done as far as the engine goes so far. i pulled the orrigional carter afb, it was shot, we soaked it in carb dip for almost 8 hours and it was still a ton of build up on it. i had bought a rebuild kit but when i showed my boss he said it wasnt worth it, the carb was screwed. so i bought a brand new edlebrock 750cfm carb nic and shiny!

as far as the engine goes i also drained and changed all the fluids, pulled the fan and fan shroud, the radiator, replaced my fuel line and fuel filter, but im going to pull the tank and have the radiator shop dunk it in the hot tank.
the fan and fan shroud before(well after i washed it)

after

trunk

any tips would help you guys thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 11:06 AM
be a man dodge tree bark!

Last photo:

thats not even right he got A/C in his shop!!!!!

sweet suicide door lincoln...

have fun welcome to the curse..lol
Old 06-22-2007, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer
thats not even right he got A/C in his shop!!!!!

sweet suicide door lincoln...

have fun welcome to the curse..lol
thanks man, so far i love it, when i was real little my moms boyfriend owned nearly 20 50's 60's vettes, and a few chargers, comaros, challangers all at once because he restored them/hot rodded them for a living. ive always had the love for them, but never the money, or the balls to invest in one my self, and now here i am.

and hell yes i have ac in the shop. but theres no insulation, so it really only keeps right around the work bench cool, which is good enough for me
Old 06-22-2007, 07:23 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Cool ride man! My dad had a 69 and a 72 when I was a kid, so I have a soft spot for Lincolns. Good luck with it!
Old 06-23-2007, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

luck is needed. The shop i work at really only deals with newer cars, we have a few older cars, but i rarely ever get put on them. So the whole carburetors is something new for me to learn although its not all that difficult. but i have never done air bags before and i plan on slamming the car on the orrigional hub caps and some white walls. then for a paint scheme i was thinking keep the roof white and go black where its maroon. black tuck and roll with white piping. any suggestions?
Old 06-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Since it is your first build I would say keep it relatively stock for now get it running good and do the cosmetics..Great find tho..I like those barges..

When you get to the airbag deal post in the suspension forum and some of the guys will walk you thru.

Dan in the interior forum is a great resource as well..

An aside is that I had a big merc wagon with a gear vendors od in it and surprised some more hot rod kind of cars with that thing..

Sam
Old 06-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last journal entry: ( Chop Um-Up ) 1947 Plymouth Sedan Chop
Last photo:

And they look Bad *** chopped! I did one a few years back. I took some pics during, but forgot to take any after it was done! Oh well theres more where that one came from.HA Looks good man! have a blast and dont be afraid to dream, and achieve. And remember "Change is Opportunity"

Last edited by Metal Twister; 06-23-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

man, that looks pretty interesting, i dont think ive ever seen a chopped suicide door continental before. id really like to see some pictures of the finished product if you can find them. also what shop do you work at and where is it located?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last journal entry: ( Chop Um-Up ) 1947 Plymouth Sedan Chop
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonWillis
man, that looks pretty interesting, i dont think ive ever seen a chopped suicide door continental before. id really like to see some pictures of the finished product if you can find them. also what shop do you work at and where is it located?
Well I own my own shop. and I dont want to advertise here. But we are in the San Diego Ca. area. What I can say is that Hot rods is a pretty small part of our business anymore. We build Off road race trucks, Cars and Long travel sand cars. But every once in a while, If the wind is blowing in the right direction, and it looks like fun Ill pick up the plasma cutter. Ha I dont think you can read our name on this truck! Can ya?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

nice car can you get me a pic or two of the hood hinges and latch
Thanks
Shane
Old 06-23-2007, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

yessir i can get you those picture, you will have to wait until july6th though im in new york untill that time. sorry man.

as far as asking about your shop i just like to make connections, even if they are small ones, so if im ever in the area you know where to go look for a job or hot rod advice i dont know if should do that or not but thats how i think about that.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonWillis
yessir i can get you those picture, you will have to wait until july6th though im in new york untill that time. sorry man. .
no problem.....looks like a good setup for a front tilt hood on a 73-87...ive been kicking that idea aroubd for use on a 2wd i plan on building someday
Thanks
Shane
Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 PM

did you have the chance to get the pics yet?
Thanks
Shane
Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

oh crap man, im so sorry, i totall forgot about it. Im going to run out to the car right now, man im so sorry, just got cought up with getting home. Ill do it and post them in about 10 minutes for you. sorry bro

brandon
Old 07-25-2007, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

here you go, i hope this is what you wanted. if not let me know

update, it was about 115 dagrees for about a month, and now its monsoon season so its been to hot to really get much done, interior is out, bumpers are off, most of the chrome is off

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.