Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   My first post and a welder question (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/my-first-post-welder-question-71535.html)

Bugs 10-06-2005 04:33 PM

My first post and a welder question

Hello to all, My name is Don , Bugs is a nick name I have had for years so I guess I am stuck with it, :)

My question is what is a good all around welder to buy for welding aluminum,stainless and cast iron? I have a Lincolon buzz box that I have used for years but I am asked all the time about welding aluminum by freinds and I have to tell them no ,I don't do it, so I want to buy me a new all around welder, I have used my sons mig welder quite a bit and I guess I am fair with it, there is a local company here that has a 155 mig welder at a fair price and they claim you can weld aluminum with it because of the teflon liner in the lead, but I don't know about this, so if you can recomend a good welder for me to check out I sure would appreciate it, What do you use? Thanks, Bugs :)

matt167 10-06-2005 04:49 PM

Tig welder is the only welder I know of that could weld aluminum. Millermatic 135's are a good start if you want a mig

Fast Orange 10-06-2005 05:19 PM

You can use either MIG or TIG to weld aluminium.Which is best depends on the thickness of the parts.For parts less than 1/8" thick,I prefer TIG,particularly when appearance is important.For general use on heavier material,MIG will do just fine.
If you go MIG,use a separate liner for aluminium to prevent contamination of the welds from minute steel particles.

George :cool:

Bugs 10-08-2005 12:04 PM

Thanks Guys

Thank you for your replies, I think I will go with the Daytona Mig 155, they build this welder themselves and stand behind it, unless there has been a price change I can pick it up for under $700.00(plus the cost of an argon tank?), getting an extra liner to keep back for welding aluminum only is a very good idea Fast Orange, I sure didn't think about this, Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes :)

crazy larry 10-08-2005 05:21 PM

keep in mind your going to need two sheilding gasses. a co2 argon mix for steel, and argon for aluminum. let us know how you like the mig on aluminum.

actually, you could probably use the straight argon on steel, I really don't know.

Bugs 10-08-2005 05:35 PM

Argon

Thanks Larry, I will try the straight argon on the steel too, hope it will do OK , save on haveing to mess with two bottles, I will get going on this soon and let you know how it goes :) Bugs

smoke 10-08-2005 09:54 PM

You could get a spool gun for your mig welder for aluminum.

Bugs 10-09-2005 03:25 PM

Hi Smoke, The sales lady I talked to about the 155 Daytona Mig tells me that a spool gun isn't nessesary for this welder as long as you have the teflon liner, she also told me that she would be happy to sell me a spool gun for this welder but it cost as much as the welder it's self :( So I hope she is right , if not I will have a good welder for steel anyway :) Just have to pick me up a Tig later on :)

smoke 10-09-2005 03:51 PM

Well that is good to know Bugs. Thanks for the info.

Don Meyer 10-09-2005 05:02 PM

Better rethink using a mig on alum. The weld looks terrible compared to tig,You will find it nearly impossible to weld thin alum. This a recommendation from one who is certified in both MIG & TIG. The mig is used mainly for thick alum.

I own a Millermatic 200 & a miller sycrowave 250 Tig & have been welding for 40 yrs.

Bugs 10-10-2005 07:20 AM

Hmmmm

Thanks Don, This is why I asked for info on this forum,I am kinda in the dark on this and I like to hear other folks comments before I went and bought a welder, this makes sense on the welding thin aluminum, my son has a mig at the place he works and he can do a fair job on thick but he won't even attempt thin stuff,says he burns it right up,
I don't forsee me ever haveing to weld real thin stuff but I am sure it will come up sooner or later, I guess I had better look into a Tig as well, Thanks :)

gcrmcc 11-02-2005 07:54 PM

You might try checking some pawn shops or ebay for a high frequency arc stabilizer to use with your Lincoln buzz (A/C?) box. I use a century 230ac/140dc welder with a Century high freq/arc stabilizer with my tig torch for aluminum and it works real well for me. :thumbup:

gcrmcc

46chevyfleetline 11-02-2005 09:17 PM

Just remember you need high freq. to tig alum. and thats where you get into some big bucks no whamies.If you want just a plane ole tig and you don't have a dc arc look into millers back pack welder. this thing is the best. 110/220 and on 220 it will burn 7018 1/8 rod all day. Smaller than the monitor your lookin'into right now
unless you got a flat screen.

Bugs 11-03-2005 11:20 AM

Looks like I have a lot to learn before attempting to learn to weld aluminum, there's a lot more to it than I thought, my buzz box is A/C only, so you are saying it can be converted over to tig? That is if I can find a high frequency arc stabilizer, this is all greek to me :) every time I contact a welding supply company and ask questions I get the same thing, "All you need is one of our Blah,Blah Blah welders and you can weld anything", I know there is more to it than that, the time to make a choice is getting close, the appraiser is comeing the first part of the week and I will have the money in hand within 10 days for the welder and my shop, as soon as they get my shop put up I will get really serious about the welder, I am hopeing I can squeeze out enough for a plasma cutter also, this will depend on how nice I can be to the wife I guess :D

My plans are to build poleing platforms for some of the members in the fishing/shrimping club I belong to so I will mainly be welding fairly thick tubeing, also I want to be able to make repairs on aluminum boat trailers and such, again mostly thick aluminum, but thin welding will come along too ,I am sure, thanks for your help on this :)

gcrmcc 11-05-2005 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugs
Looks like I have a lot to learn before attempting to learn to weld aluminum, there's a lot more to it than I thought, my buzz box is A/C only, so you are saying it can be converted over to tig? That is if I can find a high frequency arc stabilizer, this is all greek to me :) every time I contact a welding supply company and ask questions I get the same thing, "All you need is one of our Blah,Blah Blah welders and you can weld anything", sure, thanks for your help on this :)

I found my high frequency/arc stabilizer on ebay about 2 or 3 years ago. You must use an A/C welder with high frequency for aluminum so you are o.k. with your Lincoln A/C buzz box. Of course you need the TIG torch, Regulator and Argon gas to make it all work. I paid $300.00 for my high freq unit, 200 amp air cooled torch and regulator as a set. I have had no problems welding different types of alloys with it. :thumbup:

gcrmcc