Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My first stab at bodywork and finish paint! videos
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My first stab at bodywork and finish paint! videos

I've been around this stuff for almost 20 years, even shade tree restored/ modded 3 cars, but I have never actually dived in and tried to do all the body/paint work myself start to finish.

Well, the 19 year old paint and bodywork on my red Nova has bugged me for years. The car just isnt how I want it to be quality wise. I'm sure the average Joe would say it looks great, and it does. But to me, all I can see are the flaws.

I am a firm believer there is only one person who will ever lavish the love and attention to detail that a great car deserves and that is the owner. They are the only people who will spend the enormous amount of time on the thing to do it right.

I have decided to jump in and redo the Nova. And this time its going to be BLACK. How better to show off a car done really right?

Now it would be pretty dumb of me to learn on my prized Nova, when my son's rather ratty (but not terrible) 95 Camaro is just sitting out in the driveway while hes at school.

So I decided to tackle his battered hood, no dents but peeling CC and a zillion little rock chips.

After a couple weeks of sanding priming sanding filling and priming and sanding again!! I finally had it to where I thought it was topcoat ready. It was alot of work and I really didnt keep track of the hours, but I really do love this stuff!!

So armed with my Jerry rigged compressors and my $30 HF gun that I have been using to prime too!! This morning I finally shot the beast. 1 tack coat and 2 wet coats of PPG OMNI black Urethane Single stage.

Please check these videos of the result and let me know if I did good. Don't give up till you see #2

In the booth 20 min after 3rd coat

Cut and buff preview

Lots of pics on my homepage. Tell me what you think. I respect alot of the elders around here who have been a ton of help!!

Andy