My first stab at bodywork and finish paint! videos - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My first stab at bodywork and finish paint! videos

I've been around this stuff for almost 20 years, even shade tree restored/ modded 3 cars, but I have never actually dived in and tried to do all the body/paint work myself start to finish.

Well, the 19 year old paint and bodywork on my red Nova has bugged me for years. The car just isnt how I want it to be quality wise. I'm sure the average Joe would say it looks great, and it does. But to me, all I can see are the flaws.

I am a firm believer there is only one person who will ever lavish the love and attention to detail that a great car deserves and that is the owner. They are the only people who will spend the enormous amount of time on the thing to do it right.

I have decided to jump in and redo the Nova. And this time its going to be BLACK. How better to show off a car done really right?

Now it would be pretty dumb of me to learn on my prized Nova, when my son's rather ratty (but not terrible) 95 Camaro is just sitting out in the driveway while hes at school.

So I decided to tackle his battered hood, no dents but peeling CC and a zillion little rock chips.

After a couple weeks of sanding priming sanding filling and priming and sanding again!! I finally had it to where I thought it was topcoat ready. It was alot of work and I really didnt keep track of the hours, but I really do love this stuff!!

So armed with my Jerry rigged compressors and my $30 HF gun that I have been using to prime too!! This morning I finally shot the beast. 1 tack coat and 2 wet coats of PPG OMNI black Urethane Single stage.

Please check these videos of the result and let me know if I did good. Don't give up till you see #2

In the booth 20 min after 3rd coat

Cut and buff preview

Lots of pics on my homepage. Tell me what you think. I respect alot of the elders around here who have been a ton of help!!

Andy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

For peeling CC, and "a zillion" rockchips. I would have stripped it, probably would have been quicker.

Looks good and straight. Pretty slick too, But th' trash, Dayum.
I know,... it'll sand and buff. But inna booth, I would expect it to be cleaner.
quick pointer, when you think it's clean, go away for a bit. Grab a pop, then come back, and blow and wipe again, "rinse, repeat". 'Till you come back and it's actually clean, then wipe it down with a clean lint free cloth, dampened with rubbin' alc.

Looks good. Let's see th' rest of the car. when yer done.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Talkin' Trash eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm
For peeling CC, and "a zillion" rockchips. I would have stripped it, probably would have been quicker.

Looks good and straight. Pretty slick too, But th' trash, Dayum.
I know,... it'll sand and buff. But inna booth, I would expect it to be cleaner.
quick pointer, when you think it's clean, go away for a bit. Grab a pop, then come back, and blow and wipe again, "rinse, repeat". 'Till you come back and it's actually clean, then wipe it down with a clean lint free cloth, dampened with rubbin' alc.

Looks good. Let's see th' rest of the car. when yer done.
Well, I agree totally I shoulda stripped, but I'm LEARNING, that's the only way I've ever really learned...the hard way unfortunately.

As for the trash... I'm painting in my garage/ booth...its not high tech at all.

I'm going to get better filters for the air intakes and maybe try painting with just one fan on instead of 2.

Luckily 99% of the trash just settled on top of the final coat. Did I mention this is my first time???

Andy
Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

Yep you mentioned that it's yer first time. And I'm tryin' to give constructive criticism.

Did you blow out the garage before you started?

Like I said, Looks good.

Also, no amount of precaution, will insure a perfectly clean job.

I painted a pickup several years ago. Two tone,black/silver Acrylic enamel. Turned out nice. (even amazed myself) Backed it out, washed it, dried it, called the customer to come get it. As he was pulling up a bird flew over and did what birds do. Crapped on th' hood. I washed it off, but it had already printed it. Thus ruining a decent paintjob. I swore off of Acryilic enamel, unless it's a work vehicle needing a cheap shine. Or I have time to let it properly cure.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

No offense taken. I shop vac'd the bay the night before with a new bag, had it totally cleaned out. Then wet the floor down before I sprayed. I think what caused the dusty condition was too much fan and cheapo filters.

Ill do better next time Im sure of it.

Really a mute point any way as all the trash has already been sanded out and the hood is completely flat and ready for a good buffing tomorrow.

Thanks for your input, I DO appreciate it.

OH I'm using Urethane not Acrylic Enamel...That stuff shouldnt even be sold, its Crapola.

Andy
Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Finished up this morning! :-)

190 views and 1 guy responded?? Doesn't look THAT terrible does it??

Anyway, Here's the final video it shows the completed hood. Very pleased, the long hours were definitely worth it!

My Red Nova will be a Black Nova very soon... and THANKYOU to all the KNOWLEDGEABLE guys around here who have been giving me tips!!

FINISHED

Andy
Old 04-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm
'

I don't do the dampened cloth (it's already been wax and greased) so just a tack rag at this point. But leaving it for a while is a biggy, even over night, get it all ready, blow it off GOOD on the underside and all, AND the saw horses and then let it set like that, it's always a good way to go. Some times we get in too big of a hurry.

Brian
Old 04-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872
190 views and 1 guy responded?? Doesn't look THAT terrible does it??

Andy
There isn't that much to say other than an atta boy! You know about the trash in it, other than that it looks great and welcome to the world of body and paint.

Where do you have the intake and exhaust in your "booth"? It's pretty hard to set something like that up, the air needs to move across the painting area but damn if you don't have it REALLY tight you are going to be sucking in all kinds of crap from around the filters. I don't only mean right at the filter but any gap anywhere in the room opposite the fan. We are talking the path of least resistance. If the air can get in someone besides the filter it's going to. I have personally never made up anything like that, I just put a fan down low at one end of the room to get the overspray out. It isn't very effective but it's a trade off, not that effective but less stuff in the paint.

The bad thing is, if you aren't getting that stuff out you are really cutting down the oxygen in the room and it's very dangerous if you aren't using a fresh air breathing setup.

Brian

Brian
Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Hey Brian,

Great to see you again! You were one of the people I was referring to and I'm always open to hear your opinions and advice. Thanks!

OK, here's the booth setup. its 12x22. 2 filters on the dividing wall between 2 garages (same size). They are 16x20 and about at eye level (6ft) spaced out evenly along the 22 ft wall. On the outside wall I have a attic fan 7ft up and centered in the 22 ft. I also have a old furnace fan about a foot off the floor and near the garage door.

Now, here is my theory about the dust...

First I completely cleaned any crap out the booth the night before all except for sawhorses and hood and air hose. I thoughly vac'd the floor with a commercial shop vac and new bag. The walls all have brand new paint and new salt treated "baseboard" all around the floor.

On the morning of painting, I lightly wetted the entire floor down and never opened the large outside door. I turned on the fans 1 hour before painting and left the room.

My theory is this: The furnace filters I am using are crap and the fans are sucking dust right through them. #2 I left the booth a couple times quickly thru an interior door.

Next time I'm getting new micro filters, turning 1 fan off and trying to not leave the booth at all.

NOW, which fan would be better to leave run? Up high, or down low? I value your opinion.

Andy

PS. lots of related pics on my homepage
Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Old 04-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

I say down low, if the air can move out without going OVER the painting area I think you are better off. Again, this is NOT the proper way a booth works. With a real paint booth the air moves right past all your work. With a down draft like we have at work almost the entire roof is the intake and a giant filter. The exhaust is UNDER the car. It has a big hole under the car with a piece of metal covering the center of that hole leaving a gap around the edge of an inch or so, all the air comes down from the top and around that car with the overspray being taken away RIGHT NOW away from the work and going under the car.

But we are talking multiple filters that it is going thru. We are also talking a pressurized system where the air is is being pushed into the booth and being sucked out in a happy little dance. So it is quite different.

At home, in my personal opinion unless you have a LOT of air movement and a really good filter system you are best off to just get the damn overspray out before it falls on a wet finish and flattens it out.

You have gone to such lengths I am thinking you are pretty close to having a pretty decent "booth" and are doing a heck of a job. Where you go from here, I don't know. That dirt in the paint was coming from somewhere! Maybe do some kind of testing with smoke to see where the air is coming in? Maybe it is skipping the filter somehow. It looks like you have done a great job at making it air tight but maybe there is something you missed? But more likely it is coming thru the filters. I know old school was wetting the filters with water. I remember an old cross flow booth at a shop I worked at years ago we had a sprinkler out in front of the intake filters that would be turned on before spraying.

This isn't so good anymore with modern high solids iso kicking paints though.

Brian
Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Nice job! In the first post you made you show video 1 and 2, you should have shown 6 also, I saw that on the side of the youtube site and watched that one also, of course you did show the results later in the thread. That may be why not a lot of comments, they were waiting for the final results. Like Henry's (tech69) this would be a good one for the knowledge base, I would also like this in the lounge for more exposure but I'll leave it alone, it has some good tech advice. Verrrrry Nice! You're son will love this, you might have to do the rest of the car now..lol. Thanks for sharing, this shows what a guy can do at home. Dan
Old 04-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Thanks so much, I feel honored! I hope others see my videos and gain a little bit of info about the products and methods i am using. There is really nothing difficult here, just basic common sense about taking your time and trying to keep your work and work area as clean as humanly possible. I have had 3 other cars painted by lifetime body and paint guys who each had booths (albiet not super high tech downdraft operating room stuff) and every single one of those cars came out with just as much or almost as much dust settled ON TOP of the final wet coat of paint. Guess what? Thats the first thing that gets sanded off!! Its like a no brainer!!

Would I like less dust on my next project? Of course! I can truthfully say when I shot the first video I didnt even give the dust a second thought because I knew it was first to go. I was MUCH MORE concerned about how long it was going to take to get the more orange peely areas sanded down flat.

I'm surprised it had such an effect on people, but I guess they havent been around too many paintjobs that come out of less than perfect "booths".

Anyway, I have enjoyed the input and the discussion and I am on to the next project: My Nova that I have wanted to repaint for at least the last 6 years or so, just didnt have the money to pay someone else to do it!

CHEERS!

Andy
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

Looks good! It gives me hope as I can't afford to pay someone to paint my car either.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455olds
Looks good! It gives me hope as I can't afford to pay someone to paint my car either.

THANKS!!!

Andy

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.