My Friends Mustang 220MPH wreck In Outlaw 10.5 "Joe Newsham" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My Friends Mustang 220MPH wreck In Outlaw 10.5 "Joe Newsham"

I wasn't always sure where to put videos, or even if guys were interested in them. My good friend and partner in racing at the end of last year suffered one of the harriest crashes ever seen in outlaw 10.5 or "Street Cars On Steroids. Though not much of the cars are stock the rules do keep alot there in terms of length, seating and so on to meet the chassis certifications for the speeds and ET's involved.

Joe Newsham was coming off a series of championships in these venues when we thought Joe was invincible this happened at the 7th annual Shakedown at e town. His first qualifying pass took the turn for the worst. The run was not unlike many of Joe's as he states it is the way the car is able to put down the power from a twin turbo 648 Big Chief Chevy hanging the tires out for more than he'd like but the champ always managed to keep her straight. Joe was hurt in th accident with head, back and feet injuries but has fully recuperrated. As a good friend of his, I was stunned watching the pass and put down my camera as my final shot I saw the car going over and had to turn away and later watched the video.

Joe's Mustang is a total yet he was most comfortable inside while all this went on as he saw the crews from raceway park coming to his rescue while he was upside down. Joe is now working on finishing another car but it isn't a Mustang.

Scary video but shows how well these are built for this and the safety involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29h_vqJa6B0

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Been seeing alot of this same type crash in P/S, too.

That it was pulling the wheels way out in 3'rd (4th?) gear if they run 5 speed trannys like P/S, says something good about the enormous power the engine is making. Too bad the chassis set-up wasn't ready for it, or the engine management brought in too much- whatever.

Glad your buddy wasn't hurt

I'm starting to wonder if there's something going on w/the air pressure off of the wall. Whenever the cars get out of the groove, they also start to lose traction. This combined w/the 'push' from the wall, and around they go...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

You mentioned that your buddy was upside down and yet it looked like the car rolled back into the guard rail on the right side and came to a stop - - - I'm confused but I'm old too so that may be the problem - - LOL
Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

You hit on a few things there Cobalt, The push is there when the car gets close to the wall, Joe has told me this. Although I'd like to say it was easy as that it was more the control arm cracked and the wheel cambered in. Joe maintains his car exceptionally well and couldn't have forseen this using he best components IMO. The car runs a rossler T400 non lockup bolt together pro mod converter and the chassis is over 5 years old almost always running the track like this and there was quite a bit of ballast in the front during this run. Pro Stocks are more at a dissadvantage since they are easily 500lbs lighter and I still feel the belly pans are not yet fully figured out.

Many have said it's the speeds and the tire sizes making it dangerous wanting to do all this now in 1/8th mile format like down south, as a matter of fact, the local track series here in the tri state area have now announced all going 1/8th mile for the Outlaw 10.5 cars yet I've seen just as many accidents since the drivers just don't want to get out of the throttle needing only half the track. I think the record right now for 1/8th top MPH is 214 on a 10.5 tire
Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
You mentioned that your buddy was upside down and yet it looked like the car rolled back into the guard rail on the right side and came to a stop - - - I'm confused but I'm old too so that may be the problem - - LOL
The car actually was fully upside down when it hit the wall, it's hard to see from the video how fast this happened. A photographer was at the top end in the tower or lounge area, he sent me the images and he removed them since he felt it was distatsefull since Joe was hurt.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Racing
I think the record right now for 1/8th top MPH is 214 on a 10.5 tire
That's stout!!

And even more impressive (his wheels-up run) given the TH400 and converter.

The control arm wouldn't usually be considered a super high stressed component. But if the wheels up deal is routine for him, the whole car- and especially the front steering and suspension- is taking a beating!

Do you drive?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

My God Man , I am glad he walked away from that. Looks like the juice was working just fine.

Cole
Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
That's stout!!

And even more impressive (his wheels-up run) given the TH400 and converter.

The control arm wouldn't usually be considered a super high stressed component. But if the wheels up deal is routine for him, the whole car- and especially the front steering and suspension- is taking a beating!

Do you drive?
Luckily, nothing that quick, lol. Joe and I have been partners in many things from his car to our racing website that is now defunct, he more or less gave us the biggest boost for heads up drag racing information by combining us as a sponsor in many of the series for our coverage, I was used to writing over 53 reviews a year and nore than 18,000 images also a year.

Joe has been the driving force in the Northeast Heads up Outlaw stuf and he took it to ORSCA and brought home the biggest championship from the south.

Joes first start with the Mustang, it had a small block in it, moving to a 540 with small heads and a cast intake and powergide. The rules changed to allow any cubuic inches and turbo size so he took advantage of it last year and built a new motor, still nothing exotic when others are running 700 cube hemis on alcohol in this cass or supercharged screw blowers, as in the quickest car right now Chuck Ulsch.

The chassis was state of the art at the time and kept him safe enough in this wreck, SFI never expected a 190lb man to be upside down at over 200 hanging by his belts, a roll cage bar tore open and allowed Joe to move inside the car was the main problem.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Racing
The car actually was fully upside down when it hit the wall, it's hard to see from the video how fast this happened. A photographer was at the top end in the tower or lounge area, he sent me the images and he removed them since he felt it was distatsefull since Joe was hurt.
WOW, I couldn't tell on my screen - - - - man, is he ever lucky !

Well, lucky and prepared with the best cage and equipment for those situations !

Glad he's OK !

WR
Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Wow! What a runner! I watched many videos after the first one, that car hauls! Good luck to him in the future, the man can obviously build a serious racing machine!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Another angle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYlZ...eature=related

Car was moving OUT.. Huge power. Glad Joe is OK.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Just a little bit of info from that vid, Joe didn't walk away, he had a severe sprained ankle and a couple of broken toes, we all know how bad that did hurt when we got our first time standing on a sprained ankle. Joe was taken to the hospital and stayed for a few days with compression fractures in his back, Some time off and he healed OK but in all cases he he wasn't as well as we would have liked.

These cars as in Joe's run well into the 3,000 to 3,100 lbs area with driver so they are heavy, normally the turbos will pick up more on the back half but even adding 40mph like Newshams usually does increases the mass and velocity. I am a firm believer in guardwalls now over rails.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.