This my friends, is a "show car". - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,028 Posts
This my friends, is a "show car".

We have all heard the term "show car". I have heard it used many times on cars that in my humble opinion were far from "show cars" to me. They were "nice" cars, they may have been put in shows, but they were most certainly not "show cars".

In my opinion a real show car can be shown disassembled. Yep, you could pull the interior out of the car and who it and it will still look good. You can just tell looking at it, even where you can't see looks as good as where you can, you just get that feeling looking at it. It is so finely detailed that you just know if you removed a panel or part it would be just as beautiful behind the part, you know what I mean?

The other "show car" is the cartoon car that is never driven and probably can't be, I know those are real "show cars" too, but I don't count them. Those cars are usually not very well detailed at all, they are more like a movie prop.

No, the real show car to me is a work of art, you can study the "Little dancer, aged 14 years" by Degas. It is so beautiful you can't take your eyes off it. You look and look for a flaw, something to tell you it isn't alive. But you never find it, you just walk away with the impression to stay with you forever.

This Ford F100 is just that car, it is a work of art. I was on the way out of the show and went thru the building it was in. I could care less about these trucks. If one was on fire I wouldn't put it out, saving the extinguisher for something more important. But this truck, this truck stopped me in my tracks and I wasn't even looking at it! All it took was one glance at the tail gate and bed as I walked by. I ended up staring at it for a half hour or so and talking to others who were looking at it. What was cool was one pair of guys knew these trucks well started pointing out the modifications on the truck that went right over my head. Of course it was so nice, the work was so tasteful that even the guys who knew them well didn't see them until after looking for quite some time. There were LOTS of modifications, most very subtle, very tasteful. It rounded out the whole truck.

What I like most about "detail" the art of just "fine tuning" is that it is FREE. Most anyone can do it. You don't need to be a metal master, or a painting master. You don't have to be fast, you don't have to be experienced, you simply need patience. That is all it takes, passion to get the fit better, the edges sharper, the welds ground smooth. All it takes is to prime and block, and surface until it is perfect. Most anyone of us can do this, sure some of it takes some learning, but it is mostly about patience.

The wild part is most bodymen and painters don't possess the patience and passion to do it! I have seen home hobbyists do better detail, more perfect jobs than most pros! They get the job done fast, they are way more efficient at it, but they lack the patience and passion.

This room was full of zillion dollar streetrods. It had many pro-built cars, BIG dollar cars, popular body styles and years, and this friggin 68 Ford pickup knocked me off my feet. You could jump on Criags list right now and get one for a grand, driving it home, a decent old truck. Yet this guy, took it and blew away the zillion dollar customs and streetrods in the room.

I looked and looked, deeper and deeper and finally found some texture in the paint. Up under the hood structure the clear wasn't cut flawlessly flat. Other than that, on the edges of the hood, the firewall, the front of the bed and back of the cab, inside the bed, EVERY SQUARE INCH was cut flawlessly with ZERO texture!

I will tell you right now, the guy who built this truck, I will put money on did all the work, body and paint. It was one mans passion, that is what it looks like to me. I can't believe you could find a few guys to do it that would all have the passion needed. It would be like assembling the Beetles or the Eagles to make music. It is lightening striking.

I believe the guy who did it, he is looking for the next car to build. It being finished isn't the destination, the journey is the destination. Once the journey is finished, I will put money on it that he is on to something else.

I am going to try to find the guy who owns it and see if I am right.

Brian

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front F100.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	37228  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

These are of the bed, it had some panels on the front and sides. I think the front covered a fuel tank and the sides were possibly some sort of compartments that were also covers for the "tubs" being it had pretty large wheels and tires. Check out the reflection in the tail gate of the end of that compartment and the reflection of the tailgate in the compartment.

Look at the tailgate gap. Look at the gaps and fit on those panels in the corner of the bed.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bed corner and panels.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	37229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	37230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side bed thingie reflection.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	37231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail gate reflection..JPG
Views:	101
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	37232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail light .JPG
Views:	118
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	37233  

Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

This is the back edge of the hood, the cowl top, fender apron to firewall, the firewall behind the engine, and another of the firewall.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Back edge of hood.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	37234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl top.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	37235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender brace to firewall.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	37236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire wall behind engine.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	37237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire wall.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	37238  

Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

How about the door gaps? EVERY INCH around these doors fit like that. Check out the mouldings. The guy made his own version of the cheapie aluminum mouldings these trucks had with the painted center section. He took aluminum or something making these thin mouldings one over the other having them chrome plated.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Door and bed gap.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	37239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door handle and gaps.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	37240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom of door.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	37241   Click image for larger version

Name:	CLose up mouldings.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	37242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moulding spear close up .JPG
Views:	91
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	37243  

Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

How's this for seam sealer in a drip rail? It was smoother than most cars body work!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Seam sealer.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	37244  
Old 03-28-2009, 11:00 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

That looks very nice. and I agree, it takes an artist conception/vision to complete one of this eye catching quality.

Thank you for sharing it.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
No, the real show car to me is a work of art, you can study the "Little dancer, aged 14 years" by Degas. It is so beautiful you can't take your eyes off it. You look and look for a flaw, something to tell you it isn't alive. But you never find it, you just walk away with the impression to stay with you forever.
Brian, this is the "Hotrodders" Bulletin Board. It's OK to talk about D/Gas, we know what that is. Degas the artist? Probably not so much........ But a nice truck just the same.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 AM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

just beautiful , i can't imagine the work that went into that truck. i know the work that is going into my project and its only going to be a good 20 ' car.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

not sidestepping the perfect panels but,.......how do you get that thing together without messing something up?? i realize you use tape to help..but that is beyond help!!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 AM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

bah its a trailer queen
probly got 5 miles on the motor.
we all could do work like that if it isnt driven.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
.........we all could do work like that if it isnt driven.
The only thing stopping me from doing a build like that is money, time, tools, talent and patience. Oh yeah, motivation and ambition.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Beautiful work.

Wouldn't have been my choice of vehicle, but let that take nothing away from the craftsmanship.

I wouldn't build one like that, even if I could. Too much coin and not enough extra shop space.

Besides, I have to drive all mine.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Brian, this is the "Hotrodders" Bulletin Board. It's OK to talk about D/Gas, we know what that is. Degas the artist? Probably not so much........ But a nice truck just the same.
"Art" is "Art"!

Degas, "Little dancer aged fourteen years" at the Smithsonion in Washington DC.

Brian
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert1940
not sidestepping the perfect panels but,.......how do you get that thing together without messing something up?? i realize you use tape to help..but that is beyond help!!
It just takes being careful, that is all there is to it. Help from friends, is a biggie.

You want to talk about the actual process? The most important step, the ABSOLUTE CAN NOT BE PASSED UP, CAN NOT BE TAKEN LIGHTLY step?

Simple, TRIAL FITTING PARTS! Sounds obvious, but many of us will rush thru portions of the process for one reason or another. First reason, "awe, it fit before" but things change or you may not have been looking at it with a critical enough eye. Second reason trial fitting gets rushed, it is an odd concept but hear me out and think about it for a while.

When we are looking at our car for flaws, we don't WANT to find them! That is the biggest reason that I have found in teaching apprentices in the shop. This concept hit me years ago and it has helped tremendously in teaching. If you are feeling your body work for flaws, it is human nature to NOT want to find any after all the blocking and hard work, right? Well if you DON'T want to find a flaw, you will do just that, not find one! You then prime it and paint it and WHAM, there is that flaw you didn't WANT to find!

You have to WANT to find flaws! You have to be passionate about the WANT to find them. If you are, if you REALLY want to find a flaw as you are feeling body work or trial fitting that panel, you WILL find the flaws and correct them.

You've no doubt seen the famous Henry Ford quote: "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." BELIEVE IT!

If you THINK you can move a mountain, your brain starts figuring out ways to DO IT. If you think you can't, your brain starts making excuses why you can't.

You have to WANT to find the flaws and you then will and correct them before the parts are painted, and before the parts are bolted on for good.

Here is a little article on the subject of trial fitting parts. "Basics of Basics" trail fitting parts (click here)

Brian
Old 03-29-2009, 09:34 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
You've no doubt seen the famous Henry Ford quote: "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
I thought that quote was from Stewie Griffin .

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.