My garage is a MESS! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Tazz

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My garage is a MESS!

I have been cleaning and sorting stuff but I still have a real mess. How do you keep what you've got so You know what your've got when you need it? I am not much on inventory, is there a good book to start out a guy who needs help?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004, 06:48 AM
Broke

Well if your wondering how to keep a garage nice and organized and clutter free, even though the garage on our house right now is a total mess (Well...my dads got all his woodworking stuff out there, as well as stuff from my grandparents house that they couldnt sell before selling the house, LOL), we're adding a 2 car garage to the back of the house and since half of it will pretty much be mine, i've got a plan to keep it nice and clean.....Pretty much paint the walls white, get something on the floor, get a nice big tool chest, and keep a trash can near......the white paint and flooring will make the garage look better,neater, and cleaner already.......a big toolchest will allow you to keep your tools organized and NOT cramped....so you could say have a big drawer JUST for screw drivers.....they wouldnt be so cramped that when you take one out, all the others get screwd up, so you cant just place it back you have to fight with the others then you give up and put it in a different drawer...know what i mean?
As for the trash can....my biggest problem is that theres no trash can in the garage....i'd have to walk around to the side of the house to throw anything out....so if i'm tearing apart my nitro R/C truck in the garage, i've got a roll of paper towells near me so that i can wipe stuff down, wipe up spills, etc.......well where do these go? On the table next to me of course! or on the floor!
Then when my mom or dad pulls me away from whatever i'm doing in a hurry ("Come on we have to leave for your aunts house, NOW!", LOL), the towells stay there.....But if I had a nice big trash can right near me, I'd sure as hell get up and toss them in.....
Old 04-03-2004, 08:46 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

your wife doesn't spend much time out there does she?
mine can't come in without straightening up something.
and i'm finally getting her trained on what NOT to touch.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

yea.. our garage is also messy.. 2 car garage.. and cant even park a car in there..

The main reason we all have this problem.. is .. DONT USE IT FOR STORAGE..

Thats our problem.. if somethings in the house that doesnt need to be there.. it goes to the garage..

I mean like un used furniuture.. dumb stuff that dont need to br there...

We are gonna clean the garage sometime this summer.. when its warm enough..

Nos
Old 04-03-2004, 06:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

My garage is a MESS!

In my mess, the problem isn't storage of unused junk, it's the storage of a frame-off resto '78 Monte, all the lawn care items used for my part time business and the tools to keep everything running. I tried what my wife found out works for her in the house and am adapting it for myself in the garage. She said that the garage didn't get filled in a day, so it won't get clean in a day either. I started by cleaning all my tools and putting them away every night. Then I started sweeping the floor (that I could find). I put up shelves to aid with getting some of the crap off the floor. For the stuff that couldn't be hung up, I put wheels under it. Don't get me wrong, I've still got a LONG way to go, but it's a daily improvement. Now I've got to decide what to do with the new frame for the Monte.....
Old 04-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

my method.....

1/ Anything not car related does not come into my garage. Lawn equipment, ladders...all that ***** goes in the shed.

2/ Store your spare parts elsewhere. I'm lucky. I have a spare room in the basement that I can store all my spare parts.

3/ Use realatives garages for storage. I keep one of my classics at my daughters garage for the winter. Keeps it out of my way.

4/ Clean up after yourself after every days work. Get into the habit of it. Make it part of your routine. That goes for putting tools away after each use.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I am willing to bet I have the messiest shop.

I am STILL removing stuf from TWO previous owners, and I've owned it since 1995.

I have (after cleaning for the past 6 weeks) a little more than just a path around most of the building, and am willing to bet that I still have more than 1 ton of materials that can be removed because of uselessness.

My wife is willing to come out there but that visit is usually over after (on average) 15 minutes, unless she is helping me with something.

My son stays longer, and gives up when not included in the project, he's the only 6 year old I know with his own welding helmet.

My daughter is banned from the building if I am working, as she knocked over an empty 277 cf oxygen cylinder into my plasma cutter and arc welder in the past.

I'll post pics in my gallery later today.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:04 PM

So it isnt just me that is surrounded by bicycles and washers and assorted lawnmowers? Seriously gang this is a great eyeopener for all of us, I also am guilty of just tossing whatever I happen to be guilty of just sticking stuff in there BUT once you get the garage reclaimed as your personal kingdom it is awesome! Lets all make an belated new years resolution to reclaim our garages,
I can rememeber when I first moved here that I incited a few pals over and stuck a fridge in the garage made sure it was full of cold ones and turned them loose with orders strict orders chevy orange stays anything else goes......LOL.......
Old 04-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Do you mean it's supposed to be neat and tidy? I hope the little woman dosen't see this post.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I posted three pics of my shops mess in my photo album.
And this is before 6 hours of clean-up with my 6 year old helping.
I found toolboxes I didn't know I still had.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:05 PM
you talkin to me?

edited for tasteless joke.

Last edited by badknuckles; 04-04-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Try this it worked for me.

I had this problem once and here is what I did. Sort everything in the garage into three piles.

1. Stuff you have never used, will have no future use for, you save it because you thought you would need it one day. Throw all of this out.

2. Stuff you use only occasionally. Store this overhead, the attic, under the house, anyplace that does not take up your easy to get to space.

3. Stuff you use every time you work on your car. Organize and store where you can easily get to it.

Now stand back and look, doesn't that look a lot better, and you don't have to spend 30 minutes looking for your tools every time you work on something.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:53 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Mine initial plan of attack was buying (12) large rubbermaid totes with lids. I wrote Painting, Masonary tools, Carpentry tools, Plumbing tools, etc. on the end of the tote. Originally, I stacked them in the corner. After needing the bottom tote just about every time I needed something, I smartened up and put up shelves that I could put the totes on plus 2" to slid it out. This way, I just grab the tote I need for the project at hand. I normally have them chucked full,so I also have a handcart stuck in the garage , so its only one trip.
My next plan of attack (coming) is going to the fish store (the place that sells fried fish on fridays) You can buy the plastic boxes for $.75 normally. I plan on buying 20 or so. Then build a cabinet to put on the wall with dividers so that each box has its own place. Like the totes, write the contents on the end, so I can grab what ever pieces I need at a moments notice.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally posted by Beenaway2long
Mine initial plan of attack was buying (12) large rubbermaid totes with lids. I wrote Painting, Masonary tools, Carpentry tools, Plumbing tools, etc. on the end of the tote. Originally, I stacked them in the corner. After needing the bottom tote just about every time I needed something, I smartened up and put up shelves that I could put the totes on plus 2" to slid it out. This way, I just grab the tote I need for the project at hand. I normally have them chucked full,so I also have a handcart stuck in the garage , so its only one trip.
My next plan of attack (coming) is going to the fish store (the place that sells fried fish on fridays) You can buy the plastic boxes for $.75 normally. I plan on buying 20 or so. Then build a cabinet to put on the wall with dividers so that each box has its own place. Like the totes, write the contents on the end, so I can grab what ever pieces I need at a moments notice.
Before I space it, I gotta tell you about a tip I saw in Stock Car Racing magazine a year ago. The author had found a store that was changing nut and bolt suppliers and just picked the old display bins up dirt cheap. Meanwhile, for those not that lucky, I used old Gatorade bottles (with the tops nailed to 2x4 's) to store my bolts, nuts, and nails. It's not overly pretty, but everything does stay rust and dirt free. As an added bonus, the plastic bottles won't break like glass.

Just another $.02 worth.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:18 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

My garage is never a mess. Atleast not as long as I can almost walk around in there. LOL

I am getting ready to put cabinets and counter tops all of the way around the garage. I have got to have someplace to put all of the stuff that I just can't live without. Fortunately, I have a storage shed for my yard tools and anything else that I can get in there. I also have an enclosed trailer that I had planned on selling. That was until I learned from my daughter, how good it is for storing things in. Now I have filled it up, that way she can't move back, and store her stuff in there. I have also learned, that anything from the house that spends more than a month or so in the garage, must have worn out it's wlcome, and is no longer needed. If it is small enough to fit in the garbage can, we probably don't need it either. I do use the garbage can for storing household stuff that makes it out to the garage from time to time.

My wife feels that I need to clean up out there. So much of her stuff gets lost out there! LOL

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.