my garage roof - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 01:48 AM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

my garage roof

I have a question in my garage which my grandfather built 30 years ago ,it (was)36ft long by 24ft wide&the roof was 2x10s that caMe to a peak about 24ft high,now the front end caved in a few years ago because a few of the 2x10s cracked.The shop was originally just frame work with corrugated metal basically it looks like a barn.Well I tore all the metal down,replaced every board needed it&I used oak for support now I'm still young¬ a lot of experience&I did all of this my self the back 12ft of the roof remains @a peak&seeings I cannot get that high to set the 2x10s by my self I closed the peak off&made it look how the front use to&off The front beam I built a pitch roof &that was hard enough getting all of those oak 2x10s up by myself. NOW MY QUESTION IS I've decided to sheet the roof with osb before I lay The tin,the tin I'm sealing all the old nail holes so it'll be pretty dry under it&but I wanna know should I also use felt paper or tyvek or something to help seal it&keep it dry?Sorry so long&if I didn't type tp well tonight sorry guys.Thanx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 05:40 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

depending on how much money you have to spend, you can get a sticky rubber sheeting they use to prevent ice jams on soffitts. It comes in 50ft rools and has a paper you pull off as you unroll it. It also self seals when you put the shingles on with the nails.
You can and should use this or go the tar paper route if you don't have the bucks for the rubber. Do not use Tyvek!!! thats for siding.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 AM
two cups of tea

The roof won't be shingles its corrugated tin,I know tyvek is to wrap the building in but thought it was worth a try.I know the rubber stuff you're talking about I think its called weather lock.I'm gonna try to find that we used some on our bunk house before I think.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I put felt paper down on my barn roof to keep it dry until I got the tin on..use some lath to tack down over the paper to help keep it from blowing off..Put the lath on every 3 or four feet..roofers do this a lot on a job like that to get a temporary something done until the finish roofing goes on..

Sam
Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 AM
two cups of tea

Please forgive me but whats lathe?&so did you sheet you're roof then use tin?The guy@lowes said since I would be putting the felt on the same day as the tin that I wouldn't need the felt seeings the tin would keep The wood dry?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

little strips of wood... back before the days of drywall, lath was commonly used with plaster to make up wall boards.. but now is more common in roofing for the purpose above
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

roofing

if u have already put the osb on then don't read any further.
if u have not then why don't u save some bucks and just use 2x4 front to rear and every 2' o/c down from peak to the eve..
corragated is gonna be nosey because the sheet do not lay flat on anything.. even the plywood.. but if u leave it open u can get insulation to touch it there by reducing rain noise. u can go to home depot/lowes and get the socket head screws with rubber washers for sealing... make sure the first trust is plumb, and i mean plumb too.. the at the facia tack on short pc of wood front and rear and run a string to ea and out as far as u want over hang.. put up roofing and line it up with string. use the black rubber caulk on the overlapping seams. using the string will make it look better, becuse if the trust is off a hair u'll have run out if not using the string...
ok now i'm out of breath..
Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Lath is thin strips of wood. I don't think you need them with OSB. I would use the felt, cheap insurance with used metal roofing, cheap insurance with new metal roofing. The roofing nails aren't foolproof, rubber shrinks and expands on the nails, I'd even go one step further and use some silicone to seal the nails. The OSB under will also be of some comfort if you ever have to climb up there for any reason and will make the structure stronger, tying it in together.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

All the lathe does is to keep the felt from blowing off in case of a wind overnite or something..if you do not put the lathe and a wind comes up you may be picking your felt up from the ground..Ask me how I know this...since the OP is doing it all by himself he may not get it all done in a day or two and may have to leave it until he can get back to the roofing chore..

Sam

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.