Hot Rod Forum banner

my girls ride is broken

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  NamelessJoe 
#1 ·
Hello

so i know its just a DD but i figured i could ask ;)

i was driving my GF's car its a 2001 kia rio and it started making a mechanical
"clanking" like something started to bounce around or slide were it didn't belong
i put in the clutch to let it stop and all my lights went on when it died then
i let the clutch in to pop start it maybe and it started to werrr but not start
so i rolled to a stop and when trying to start it had an even starter note no pulses from overcoming compression no fluids are dripping and it wasn't smoking before. i got it home and in the garage and i can push it(slowly but still) in 1st gear and it doesn't seam to pulse or resist too much

do you guys have any ideas where to start checking?
thanks
Alex

#4 ·
Timing Belt or Belts broke. May have lunched the motor. Is it the twin cam hy perf job. If so, it may be time to bury it.
Check it out first and see. Pull the oil filler cap, look in and see if you can see the cams, then have girlfriend crank the starter and see if they move. If not...Timing belt time.
May need to pull the valve cover and check to see if it bent a bunch of valves.

#5 ·
LATECH said:
Timing Belt or Belts broke. May have lunched the motor. Is it the twin cam hy perf job. If so, it may be time to bury it.
Check it out first and see. Pull the oil filler cap, look in and see if you can see the cams, then have girlfriend crank the starter and see if they move. If not...Timing belt time.
May need to pull the valve cover and check to see if it bent a bunch of valves.

----->X2. :(

#6 ·
update

i did the flashlight test and no movement of the overhead cam :( so i started to
tear down so i can check the valves and pistons

when i pulled the valve cover the over head cams sit right on top of the valves its like a little egg shaped lobes push down onto pancakes or 35mm film canisters into the engine

it is an interference engine according to the napa guy on the phone. i guess the next step is to pull the head off to get to the valves and stuff

#7 ·
Dont take it apart, not yet. look at the valves stems first. The tops of them should all be the same height in the head. It may or may not have bent valves.If you can clearly see some of them are stuck down then the head needs to come off.If you dont see any stuck down they go to the next step.
Your gonna have to do the timing belt anyhow, why not do the belt and see if it runs correctly before you tear it down.
I didnt want you to dive in to the job when I mentioned the valves could be bent, just wanted to prepare you for possible real bad news.
What you can do, is turn the crank shaft to a place where all the pistons are down from the deck, like go to top dead center on the crankshaft mark, then turn the engine ahead about 90 degrees. That way you know the pistons are all down partway.THEN and only then do you turn the cams to align them to the proper marks for a t belt install. Then you can safely turn the crankshaft (backwards 90 degrees) to the top dead center mark and install the belt.That way, even if you did bend a few valves you wont bend some more. If you turn the crankshaft forward to get back to tdc number 1 you may hit a valve in an opposing cylinder.Hence why I said to turn it backwards to tdc . Keep in touch. :thumbup:

#8 ·
oh that sounds good I've only pulled off the valve cover so far ill look avian but each valve looks like a little silver cylinder not like the minx when i took that apart or the cavalier i was working on a few weeks ago so ill check there levels basically if i understand it right i don't want any to be stuck down in the head then the odds are better there not bent

#12 ·
update and sad news :( ?

so today i started pulling the timing belt cover... and i find a timing belt :O
i wiggled and pulled and it didn't come out

i'm like that's weird so i had pulled the passenger wheel off i turned it while in gear the other wheel spun(the whole front end is jacked up) i popped it out of gear and it was super easy and the other wheel didn't spin...

then i stuck a super long screw driver in the spark plug hole and spun the wheel(back in gear again) and it didn't move at all so it looks like between the something that wurrred when the clutch was let out and the pistons is broken?

oh and another new symptom is that there's oil on the floor i didn't leak any oil before when i crawled under then engine it was leaking out between the engine and tranny

so my thought is top end fine but now the bottom end worries me

#14 ·
Was the timimg belt broke? was any of the timimg belt teeth sheared off. Have you lady friend crank the starter so you can watch the cam and crank to be sure both are turning,
That engine may have a balance shaft that could have its own little timing belt. If it broke it could have damaged some stuff.

#15 ·
the timing belt looked fine based on mileage it needs to be replaced so a little worn but it looks ok to me but i should be able to check the crank if i pull the oil pan and watch both top and bottom (with help probably ;) )

or should i try to turn it over again with the valve cover off 1st just to dbl check

EDIT oh ya and thanks for your feedback :D

#16 ·
NamelessJoe said:
the timing belt looked fine based on mileage it needs to be replaced so a little worn but it looks ok to me but i should be able to check the crank if i pull the oil pan and watch both top and bottom (with help probably ;) )

or should i try to turn it over again with the valve cover off 1st just to dbl check

EDIT oh ya and thanks for your feedback :D
My first post on these forums. I thought I might chime in and offer an opinion. I believe dropping the oil pan is your best bet because it sounds like your gf spun a bearing off one of the crank journals. If you see bits of metal in your pan, your motor is scrap. Good thing is you can prob pick up another motor cheap. Hope this helps.

#17 ·
Fiddy Five said:
My first post on these forums. I thought I might chime in and offer an opinion. I believe dropping the oil pan is your best bet because it sounds like your gf spun a bearing off one of the crank journals. If you see bits of metal in your pan, your motor is scrap. Good thing is you can prob pick up another motor cheap. Hope this helps.
What do you mean "spun a bearing off ? Whether the motor has spun a bearing or not, won't be the reason the valve train isn't moving.

#18 ·
NamelessJoe said:
should i try to turn it over again with the valve cover off 1st just to dbl check

:D
YES , be sure the cams are turning.Then go from there.
Allways better to diagnose an engine before you tear it down.It may not need it. Solid fact finding NOW, will help get to a better and faster repair

#19 ·
The belt may look like it is ok but the teeth could be stripped off around the crank. If you turn the starter and the crank pulley turns and the cam doesnt the belt is junk.
Those engines are known for lubrication issues on the front cam. If you find the belt is stripped, after you remove it make sure both cams will move. I have seen 3 of those engines with the front cam bearing surfaces wiped out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.