Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My good old friend: Rust
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had to make make a few patch panels for a 55 chevy I am working on so I figured I would share a few pictures of how it can be done with minimal tools. All I used to make this patch for the right side outer rocker was:mig welder, bench vise, body hammer, tin snips, electric cut off grinder with a 3" wheel, and a few pairs of vise grips. I used a scribe but a fine point marker would work too. Now mind you this was aimed at the less experienced and toward the home garage, or less equipped shop. I know this is not the best tools for the job or the faster way of making this repair, but I wanted to show that it doesn't require a lot of expensive tools to do this. I apologize in advance, I forgot to take pictures after I got the piece cut out and when I finished welding before grinding, but I think it will still get my point across. Hope it may help someone.
the vise with a few pieces of angle iron for a make shift metal brake.
The place to be repaired
The first bend was a 90 degree flange to match the pinch weld and give a starting point to clamp
making a few final bends at the "metal brake"
The final results
final fit testing on a good piece of the rocker
after welding and grinding, ready for a light skim coat of filler to take care of any imperfections

Again I am not saying this is the only way to do this or the best way to make a panel, but I wanted to show it could be done with minimal tools and a little out of the box thinking if someone doesn't have a lot of tools. Again hope this helps someone. Best of luck to you all

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
zmaxmotorsports (03-01-2013)