Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My good old friend: Rust
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
I had to make make a few patch panels for a 55 chevy I am working on so I figured I would share a few pictures of how it can be done with minimal tools. All I used to make this patch for the right side outer rocker was:mig welder, bench vise, body hammer, tin snips, electric cut off grinder with a 3" wheel, and a few pairs of vise grips. I used a scribe but a fine point marker would work too. Now mind you this was aimed at the less experienced and toward the home garage, or less equipped shop. I know this is not the best tools for the job or the faster way of making this repair, but I wanted to show that it doesn't require a lot of expensive tools to do this. I apologize in advance, I forgot to take pictures after I got the piece cut out and when I finished welding before grinding, but I think it will still get my point across. Hope it may help someone.
the vise with a few pieces of angle iron for a make shift metal brake.
The place to be repaired
The first bend was a 90 degree flange to match the pinch weld and give a starting point to clamp
making a few final bends at the "metal brake"
The final results
final fit testing on a good piece of the rocker
after welding and grinding, ready for a light skim coat of filler to take care of any imperfections

Again I am not saying this is the only way to do this or the best way to make a panel, but I wanted to show it could be done with minimal tools and a little out of the box thinking if someone doesn't have a lot of tools. Again hope this helps someone. Best of luck to you all

Kelly
I like it,id take a good ol blacksmithed panel over some stamped out piece anyday,thats what makes a true craftsman in my book anyway.
Ive done some of my best metal fabbing work over the years on my old home made anvil and the big ol piece of pipe concreted in the ground in front of shop is perfect for forming curves in flat pieces of tin.
Ive actually got an English wheel sitting in the corner that collects dust while Im always using that old pipe to bend things against,as soon as wife decides where she put my picture discs Ill post some pics of the hand made body panels on my kids 29 coupe body.
The Following User Says Thank You to zmaxmotorsports For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (03-01-2013)