MY head is spinning! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

MY head is spinning!

Hi guys, new guy here, to the forums anyways, I have a question alot of you probably have heard before, but here goes...I am going through my 75 truck small block motor to put in my chevelle, had it in my camaro for years, no problems, but never had the heads off it till now, they are 882 castings, which I already know arent the best, performance wise, but they are in good shape, no issues, here is the deal, I have a comp cams 292H with a double rollr timing set, performer intake, holley, etc. I just picked up the matching valve springs for the cam, been running it with stock springs till now, and it actually ran pretty hard, but the springs are getting weak, and I am looking to get more out of it. I am on a very tight budget, so aftermarket heads are out, and want to know if the 882s are worth the machine work or not? I know about using vortecs, but with my cam? it has more lift than the vortecs can handle, unless they can be modified to accept the cam and valvesprings I already have? I am getting dizzy trying to figure this out! Any insight would be a great help, remember, linited budget! thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 PM

i'm a big fan of using later model fuelie like the 041s,186s.if you can pickup a pair that are in good nick you dont have to send to much on setting up..really depends on what sort of compression your after..not sure now on what cc rating the 882s are but i think they are the same as the 441s which is 76cc..if your going to spend money on doing up a pair of heads i would be going for the smaller chamber heads.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:06 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvydrver
Hi guys, new guy here, to the forums anyways, I have a question alot of you probably have heard before, but here goes...I am going through my 75 truck small block motor to put in my chevelle, had it in my camaro for years, no problems, but never had the heads off it till now, they are 882 castings, which I already know arent the best, performance wise, but they are in good shape, no issues, here is the deal, I have a comp cams 292H with a double rollr timing set, performer intake, holley, etc. I just picked up the matching valve springs for the cam, been running it with stock springs till now, and it actually ran pretty hard, but the springs are getting weak, and I am looking to get more out of it. I am on a very tight budget, so aftermarket heads are out, and want to know if the 882s are worth the machine work or not? I know about using vortecs, but with my cam? it has more lift than the vortecs can handle, unless they can be modified to accept the cam and valvesprings I already have? I am getting dizzy trying to figure this out! Any insight would be a great help, remember, linited budget! thanks in advance!
I'm a little surprised you've not had any problems w/coil bind or valve float w/the stock heads and springs w/that cam, given the cam has 0.501" lift. Usually the safe/sane limit is about 0.480" for smog era heads like the 882.

There are springs that you could use that will fit the head w/o any machine work. Are the springs you bought a larger diameter than stock, so need the seat enlarged? If that's the case and you are going to have the heads apart and in the shop for the spring seats, have the guide boss shortened a tad and machined for positive seals while you're at it.

I really cannot recommend those heads for a performance engine. You are already aware of the much better Vortec heads and their need for a different spring and retainer, or machining the guide boss for clearance if a cam like the 292H is used, so I'll leave that decision to you. The Vortecs would be worth some real power over the 882's w/that cam, though...

As to whether the springs you bought will work w/the Vortec heads, it depends on what you bought.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

All these guys have ideas of what to do but it is not their money..On a tight budget and using what is here just do a good 3 angle valve job and some port cleanup and matching on the heads you have and do the work to get those new springs to work and you are good to go..Only issue is that the engine will run out of wind somewhere north of 6000rpm but then how often do you go there on the street??

Sam
Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the input! Yes, enlarging the spring seats is exactly what needs to be done, the springs I bought are comp cams #986-16's, recommended for use with my cam. I have spoken with the machine shop a little...the one guy was saying something about getting longer valves? I think to save money on other parts? I know I need new retainers and locks, for the larger springs, and i will most likely do the drill and pin method on the rocker studs, but anything else to the 882's? Will the stock valve seals in my gasket kit work o.k? Do I need different rocker arms? I would like roller rockers, at least the tips. Yes, this is only a street car, not drag racing it, so I am looking for something reliable, I want to drive it anywhere...everywhere! lol,
Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Jegs says....
292H Series
This cam is for the serious street/strip type car. An aftermarket torque converter should be used as well as headers, intake and increased compression. The 292H has a radical, rough idle.
RPM Range: 2500-6500
Comp says....
3000 stall, headers, gears, 9.5:1 CR minimum. Very rough idle.

ChvyDrver, you said...."and it actually ran pretty hard".
I call BS. With those heads, the SCR was right at 8.5:1 and there is no way that cam can make enough power to "run pretty hard" at 8.5:1.

I suspect you don't have enough experience to know what a good running motor runs like.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Yes, enlarging the spring seats is exactly what needs to be done, the springs I bought are comp cams #986-16's, recommended for use with my cam. I have spoken with the machine shop a little...the one guy was saying something about getting longer valves? I think to save money on other parts? I know I need new retainers and locks, for the larger springs, and i will most likely do the drill and pin method on the rocker studs, but anything else to the 882's? Will the stock valve seals in my gasket kit work o.k? Do I need different rocker arms? I would like roller rockers, at least the tips. Yes, this is only a street car, not drag racing it, so I am looking for something reliable, I want to drive it anywhere...everywhere! lol,
If you didn't get new retainers for those springs, you will need those too.

But like I said- you can use stock diameter springs that will work w/o any machine work. Like THESE. They use the same retainers you have now. You can't use exhaust rotators. Get new locks- they're cheap insurance.

So like was said- "...it is not their money". Get the right springs and it be as good- and as cost effective- as it gets w/those smog era large chamber heads.

Or, bite the bullet and invest in some good heads.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 PM

Techinspector1, you can call it b.s if you like, I know what the motor did when I had it together, I am not trying to impress anyone, just want to get some more out of it while I have it apart, and yes, I know what comp says about my cam, and I have the converter, headers and intake, working on gears...remember, this is my street car, not a drag car, I didnt say it was the fastest thing around, I just said it worked pretty damn good for me, maybe its an exception to the rules...idk. cobalt327.....thanks for the link, those are cheap, are they good quality parts? I havent heard of them myself. That does make sense to use springs like those instead of doing the machine work to not so great heads. Any Ideas what I would have to do to vortec heads to make them work with my cam? I imagine I can get the heads reasonably priced, they are everywhere, and if it only takes light machine work, I might have to go that route...
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Techinspector1, you can call it b.s if you like, I know what the motor did when I had it together, I am not trying to impress anyone, just want to get some more out of it while I have it apart, and yes, I know what comp says about my cam, and I have the converter, headers and intake, working on gears...remember, this is my street car, not a drag car, I didnt say it was the fastest thing around, I just said it worked pretty damn good for me, maybe its an exception to the rules...idk. cobalt327.....thanks for the link, those are cheap, are they good quality parts? I havent heard of them myself. That does make sense to use springs like those instead of doing the machine work to not so great heads. Any Ideas what I would have to do to vortec heads to make them work with my cam? I imagine I can get the heads reasonably priced, they are everywhere, and if it only takes light machine work, I might have to go that route...
As for the quality of Howards springs, I have used their springs numerous times in the past and have had no failures. The p/n 98212 is the spring I have the most experience with, it costs a little more but has the ability to handle more lift safely (~0.570"), the p/n 98214 springs are rated to ~0.510". For the extra $15.00 or so they'd actually be a better choice IMO.

There are any number of ways to get the lift needed on Vortec heads. Obviously machining the guide boss down is one way. Google "ghetto grind" for the cheapest method. There are also beehive springs and retainers sold by Comp Cams that will allow enough lift w/o machining the guide boss to easily handle your cam, but they're a little pricey. Good parts, though.

There's a eBay vendor selling springs and retainers, I have no experience w/them- http://www.ebay.com/itm/VORTEC-VALVE...62543587784214

More info on Vortec heads and mods to them, etc. is HERE.

Last edited by cobalt327; 12-01-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Add link.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the insight, and info, I think I may just go with howards springs for the time being, and maybe just bite the bullet and get trick flows when the money allows, I know how my motor ran before, and just doing the springs, and some porting to the smog heads, which I will do myself, will get me more power out of it. I am a little concerned about the vortec heads, I was snooping around and heard they are prone to cracking, heard of guys trying to find good ones used, and it being a hassle, and that they are not really a performance head in the first place, just better than other stock heads. Thanks again for the help, means alot!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think you are on the right track to plan on sometime in the future investing in a set of the good performance heads like Brodix or trick flow. Maybe dart heads...

Sam

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.