my home built paint booth! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: POrt Gibson, NY
Posts: 219
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my home built paint booth!

I made a video describing what I did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz-CB30Ucdo

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:58 PM
evolvo's Avatar
Heathen
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Port Hadlock, Wa
Posts: 541
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 35
Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
Nice work! I've been trying to convince my wife to let me do something like this in my garage. She thinks the neighbors would **** if they smelled paint fumes in the air. I'd hate to invest all that time and money only to have the fire department come and shut me down. Are your neighbors close by? Any concerns with freaking them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2011, 05:36 AM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,197
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 28
Thanked 466 Times in 395 Posts
Cool... lets see some vids of you painting and some pics of the car when your done...
try tar paper on the floor with duct tape on the seams ,saves a lot of time ...Then duct tape the plastic on the walls to the tar papered floor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2011, 07:16 AM
matts37chev's Avatar
I don't understand?
 

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shelton,Wa.
Age: 45
Posts: 2,420
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
very nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: POrt Gibson, NY
Posts: 219
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo
Nice work! I've been trying to convince my wife to let me do something like this in my garage. She thinks the neighbors would **** if they smelled paint fumes in the air. I'd hate to invest all that time and money only to have the fire department come and shut me down. Are your neighbors close by? Any concerns with freaking them out?

My neighbors are pretty close but the negative air machines filter a lot of the paint out of the air and when your moving 4000CFM through the space, it dilutes it pretty well. I live in a small town so the fire department would probablty tell my neighbors to "suck it up" if they did call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: POrt Gibson, NY
Posts: 219
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Cool... lets see some vids of you painting and some pics of the car when your done...
try tar paper on the floor with duct tape on the seams ,saves a lot of time ...Then duct tape the plastic on the walls to the tar papered floor

If you watch the video, youtube has the other videos I made of me spraying the car, and all of the problems I had. My spray gun was "pulsing" when I sprayed my first base coat and caused me a ton of problems. I eventually found that the fluid tip seal had fell out of the gun the last time I cleaned it and was causing the problem. I put in a new seal and it works fine now. The biggest thing I found out though is that my body work looks great. All that block sanding really paid off. Today I spray the rest of the base coats on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 AM
evolvo's Avatar
Heathen
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Port Hadlock, Wa
Posts: 541
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 35
Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsyclonex2002
My neighbors are pretty close but the negative air machines filter a lot of the paint out of the air and when your moving 4000CFM through the space, it dilutes it pretty well. I live in a small town so the fire department would probablty tell my neighbors to "suck it up" if they did call.
OK, so is "filtering the paint" the same as removing the smell of the VOC's? Or does this only remove the over spray from the exhaust? Are the neighbors 100' or 200' away going to be able to smell paint fumes? Maybe some of the more experienced (no offense) painters could chime in on this? Is there a good, effective way to "filter" the smell?
Glad you got your gun issue fingered out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: POrt Gibson, NY
Posts: 219
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Filtering is just pulling the paint out of the air not the VOC's. Not realistic in a "home built" scenario. If you are worried about the neighbors smelling it, you could paint at night when they are likely to be inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: POrt Gibson, NY
Posts: 219
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could always try water based paints??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2011, 01:43 PM
evolvo's Avatar
Heathen
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Port Hadlock, Wa
Posts: 541
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 35
Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
Anyone have an opinion on these for exhaust filters?

http://www.rockford-industrial.com/P...ption-pad.HTML
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2011, 05:41 PM
lt1silverhawk's Avatar
"But how do it know?"
 
Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 2,287
Wiki Edits: 132

Thanks: 101
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
That's a nice setup Johnny, errr... Steve-O. Thank you for the video. It gives us rookies a very good idea on how to set things up.

I noticed in your video you mentioned that you hope the negative air machines will capture whatever comes inside when the door is opened. My thinking is, would it be a better idea to perhaps pick a corner, put the door on one side of that corner, and the negative air machines on the other side of that corner? The door and the negative air machines will effectively face each other at a 90 degree angle. The door can be installed so that the part that opens faces the negative air machines, which will immediately capture anything as soon as the door opens and the air rushes in.

Hope my description makes some sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: POrt Gibson, NY
Posts: 219
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
That's a nice setup Johnny, errr... Steve-O. Thank you for the video. It gives us rookies a very good idea on how to set things up.

I noticed in your video you mentioned that you hope the negative air machines will capture whatever comes inside when the door is opened. My thinking is, would it be a better idea to perhaps pick a corner, put the door on one side of that corner, and the negative air machines on the other side of that corner? The door and the negative air machines will effectively face each other at a 90 degree angle. The door can be installed so that the part that opens faces the negative air machines, which will immediately capture anything as soon as the door opens and the air rushes in.

Hope my description makes some sense.
That would work. I was thinking about building an air lock room to remedy the problem. Walk through one door and then close it. Then open another door to enter the booth.
I think the biggest flaw is the fact that I cannot drive in and out of the booth. Every time i sand in the booth, the dust is trapped in there with me until I can remove it (as best I can).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2011, 06:49 AM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,197
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 28
Thanked 466 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsyclonex2002
Filtering is just pulling the paint out of the air not the VOC's. Not realistic in a "home built" scenario. If you are worried about the neighbors smelling it, you could paint at night when they are likely to be inside.
To many bugs ...The absolute best time is daybreak,when the dew is on the ground and holding all the dirt in place and everybody is asleep..just make sure everything is ready so all you have to do is turn on the compressor and pull the trigger...
having furness filters on the exhust side can help a little with the smell if you wet them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:02 AM
evolvo's Avatar
Heathen
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Port Hadlock, Wa
Posts: 541
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 35
Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
To many bugs ...The absolute best time is daybreak,when the dew is on the ground and holding all the dirt in place and everybody is asleep..just make sure everything is ready so all you have to do is turn on the compressor and pull the trigger...
having furness filters on the exhust side can help a little with the smell if you wet them down.
DBM,
Maybe I shouldn't be telling all you southern boys this, but we don't have an evening bug problem here in the NW. No lightning bugs, very few mosquito's or any other kind of flying bugs. Painting at night shouldn't cause buggy problems here.

I was in Mobile, Al doing a job at the shipyard one July. One evening on my way to dinner I drove through a swarm of bugs so heavy I had to use the wipers and washer just so I could see. I couldn't believe what I saw the next morning, that poor car was covered with dried bug juice,don't know how it cooled as packed as the rad was. I dropped it at the rental return and flew home!

Did you look at the link I posted:

http://www.rockford-industrial.com/...rption-pad.HTML

This link isn't working, go back to post #10

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2011, 02:01 PM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,197
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 28
Thanked 466 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo
DBM,


Any thoughts?
Thats whats in out masks (activated charcoal),They should work exellent but I'll bet very expensive....I'd rather pis my neighbors off....Or bring a bottle of liquor over so they sleep late....its cheaper..and if you wait till sunday morning no county employees will ever bother you..
We got bugs here so big they'll break your windsheld (June bugs) and their just as juicy as they are big but those swarms are most likely love bugs called that because they swarm when mating and they'll mess up your paint too.they're black with orange around the head...nasty little buggers..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Real booth filters for the home booth markha Body - Exterior 2 07-17-2009 09:15 AM
Home paint booth 71haulnazz Body - Exterior 1 06-11-2009 03:18 PM
Home Booth, how wide Shakey Body - Exterior 6 05-31-2005 01:00 PM
Home paint booth, walls? djdavis Body - Exterior 9 11-11-2004 09:51 AM
Home Built Garage Paint Spray Booth BIGISLANDROADRUNNER Introduce Yourself 4 07-15-2004 02:51 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.