Hot Rod Forum banner

My Intro and Packard Project

4K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Jagatai 
#1 ·
Hi Forum,

I know very little about cars other than I like to drive them and that I need to change the oil every so often. My dad on the other hand has been working on antiques for as long as I can remember.

Earlier this year he came to me with a proposal, an offer to teach me how everything works by assisting me with a restomod on a 1936 Packard 120B. The great part is I get to do anything I want with the project, within budget.

So, I stumbled here and will spend some time reading about other projects and probably asking all the dumb questions most first timers ask.

I humbly appreciate your collective patience, suggestions, thoughts, comments and challenges going through the learning process.

If anyone is interested in checking out the car coming off the truck and the progress to date take a look at my site. www.my36packard.net.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi Forum,

I know very little about cars other than I like to drive them and that I need to change the oil every so often. My dad on the other hand has been working on antiques for as long as I can remember.

Earlier this year he came to me with a proposal, an offer to teach me how everything works by assisting me with a restomod on a 1936 Packard 120B. The great part is I get to do anything I want with the project, within budget.

So, I stumbled here and will spend some time reading about other projects and probably asking all the dumb questions most first timers ask.

I humbly appreciate your collective patience, suggestions, thoughts, comments and challenges going through the learning process.

If anyone is interested in checking out the car coming off the truck and the progress to date take a look at my site. www.my36packard.net.

Thanks!

Attachments

#8 ·
You have a VERY special car there, are you going to restore it or rod it? Personally, I would have a REAL hard time rodding that work of art. I have a passion for both cut up hot rods and customs or original cars. Some I feel should be preserved as is, your Packard is one of them. That is a personal preference of course, that car is so friggin gorgeous it could be hung up on the wall with the fine paintings in a museum.

Brian

#9 ·
Welcome to the Forum,, You have a fantastic project going on there, the best part is you are learning and doing right along side your Dad,, thats probably the best and definately will be the most rememberable for you, your dad must be a Packard lover (who wouldn't be) knows all the facts on the packards history,,
I went through your journal, thats really a nice journal. and very discriptive infromation and pictures you listed,
This is going to be some great reading material,, looking forward to following this build,
Brians Question about restoration of Rodding?? I definately agree with Brian,, this Classic should be restored to all its glory,, But , its your car,,build it to suit your desires,, But I bet, your dad will suggest restoring it,, :D I sure would,, and I'm a died in the wool hot rodder,, :thumbup:
Good luck.

#10 ·
Restore or Rod

You are right, the best part of this will be working along side him and an invaluable source of information on the history of Packard as well as learning how to work on my own car.

His first 'project' was to restore the same model to show quality. If you check out the site, www.my36packard.net , you will see that he won the Packard Nationals with that car. It is GORGEOUS!

I live in the city of Charlotte and an antique like that is just not practical and would spend more time in the garage than it would on the road. And that is just a same. So I have decided to rod it. Now, I must caveat the 'rod' decision. Other than wheels and a really trained eye we are going to build it so that it is as original as possible from the outside.

There will be a few modifications to the exterior as well, rubber gaskets instead of oil cloth, modern lights instead of the bulb and lens (in the same housing) things like that. The inside dash will remain pretty standard as well with a dash extension that will house the heat/AC vents. The gauges will need to be updated but I will get ones that fit the existing openings in the dash. Will update the car to 12volt (originally 6) and hide modern conveniences behind the seats (radio, power seats). And finally since there are not any door locks in the modern sense I think I am going to do a keyless entry.

Underneath I would really like to modernize most of it. Engine, tranny, rear end, suspension, etc. I am really looking to friends and people passionate about this stuff to be a sounding board as we work through it all.

Sorry for the long blown out explanation. As you can probably tell I am really excited about the project! I have another discussion going about the drive train in the engine sub category. Appreciate all opinions and feedback.

#11 ·
EXCELLENT DECISION,,now you're talking,,,,, build it to drive, modern drive train, suspension, but the appearance of origional( Restro rod) :thumbup:
cruzin down the hiway at normal modern speeds, getting the thumbs up from everybody,, can't beat that , of course with DAD in the passenger seat :D
not to be personal , but what is your age group, if you don't mind? Its easy to see the excitement,,

#12 ·
My dad is almost 70 and I am 37. Old enough to appreciate the classics though my dads eyes and young enough to still want a little bit of a toy when we are all finished.

So, anyone have a "checklist" for lack of a better word that will assist me figuring out the progression? I assume, for instance that we select engine first and build off that? Tranny next then select a rear end? If any of you have a project timeline I would love to see what you did or have done so far with yours.

#13 ·
My suggestion would be to get the body off the frame, then decide what drive train you want to use, if you decide on a V/* with any kind of power and torque, I would box the rails and add cross members where required, choose a rear end strong enough to handle the engine, Ford 8.5 or 9" 9 (my preference) or a GM 10 or 12 bolt, here is a chart that shows the widths of the different R/E's find one close to the width you need and save yourself the cost of narrowing it, Find youe engine and tranny combination, and build from there,, amking sure to take lots of measurements and make sure everything will bolt back on body wise, , Do lots of thinking what you need to do next, as to not back yourself into a corner, and find out to late that something isn't gonna fit,
I think your dad has about as much experance as anyone here, to show you and teach you how to build a very nice car, if he can build that Packard to win big like he did,, you're in good hands :thumbup:

REAR END WIDTH MEASUREMENTS,, also check out the second page on top left that says SPECS ,,,on that link for the stock measurements for most all classics including your Packard

http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html

#14 ·
Thanks for the outline.

Here is what I know so far. The car has an X frame with rails that go along the drivers and passenger side. We have removed the nose and front fenders and will do the same with the running boards and rear fenders.

We are hesitant to take off the rest of the body since it is Ash and sheet metal. Mainly because we are concerned about being able to but that kind of construction back on the frame correctly. If additional bracing is required we may need to work on that from the underside.

We will spend a few more weeks taking apart the remainder then work on getting the engine etc. I have heard back from a lot of people that the 9" Ford Rear End is the way to go. I still like the idea of the LS1 engine. Its just a matter of finding one.

Anyone have suggestions on hunting down good used/rebuilt parts?

#15 ·
The only thing I disagree with is the boxing of the frame, this is a Packard and if it's anything like a 40's Packard I worked on once it is seriously overbuilt. Unless you are going to be running a blown big block and 14" slicks there is no need for any added frame strengthening.

Brian

Here is what we are talking about..

#16 · (Edited)
That X-member will most likely have to be modified ( through the center) to accommodate an automatic transmission, but thats no big deal,
on removing the body,, you could build a carriage ( wheeled cart) to mount the body on that will hold it in shape and rigid, making it much easier to do body and fab work,
The 36 chev we built also had a wood structure, mostly rotten, we replaced the main support between the firewall to the rear quarters with steel tubing, and mounted the body on a rotisserie with beams underneith, worked out great,
it all depends on how you want to build the car,, but its definately best to do it right the first time,, :thumbup:

we use a Lincoln Versaie (sic) /R/E disc brake and narrow, but also hard to find, Ford Granada is the same,, late 70's but they have a high gear ratio,

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Brian,,,
I was thinking they were more like a ford,, :drunk: "should have known better" :D

Looks like they are pretty much already boxed,, but to get a V8 in there , its going to require some mods to that X member, which is no big deal, just create a channel through the middle,
those chassis's look they could be used under a "abrams" tank, :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.