My introduction to the "Interior" forum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 10:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My introduction to the "Interior" forum

Hello everyone

My name is John long time hotrodder. And somewhat new to upholstery. I have dabbled here in there with some headliners, and door panels along the way. Even put in a few years assembling seats for Honda here in Alabama.
I have decided if at all possible I think auto/marine upholstery are what I want to make my living at if the good Lord sees fit. I have aquired a singer industrial walking foot machine, which I have sent off to the local repair shop to have it gone over and set up for my needs. Ordered some books, and been lurking around the forums here for a little while now ( you guys have some nice work going on). Slowly ordering some tools here and there. Picked up a few sets of wiss sheers for cheap on ebay tonight.
I have made friends with a local upholstery shop who is letting me hang around and learn some of the trade. For me the will be the best education. Books can tell you how to do something but they can not look at your work and tell you what you need to change or what your not doing right.
I'm sure I will have plenty of questions and pictures to be posting in the very near future. As I am setting up a small area of my garage to begin my journey in the trade of upholstery and custom interiors. As it is right now I will sew about anything that I cant think of just for the experience behind the machine. Most recent being a cooking apron with my daughter, and a new bed for my great dane! A couple of cheap pillows and some of those cheap fleece blankets make a great bed for a lazy dane!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

I've never posted on a forum where the post sat for 5 days with no comments. No welcome, no imput at all ! Lively bunch around here !
Old 12-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

I wonder why? I certainly have not seen your first post and I look in each day. Upholstery is something I taught myself and as a result, I have a new found respect and admiration for professionals. I don't know how they can do what they do for such a low price.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJSLOST View Post
I've never posted on a forum where the post sat for 5 days with no comments. No welcome, no imput at all ! Lively bunch around here !

LOL, We really are, aren't we. Welcome aboard.

I too did not see your post. Don't know why it got by us but you will indeed get some good information and guidance here.

I have done my own upholstery for some time and value the input received from the gang here very much.

Again, welcome!

John
Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

welcome

The interior groupe doesn't get as much action as other areas. DanTwoLakes is the expert here on Hotrodders and on some other forums. He has posted a lot of info here in the interior section. I have done a little bit of my own work. I used to watch the Guy at the Ford Mustang factory repair damaged new car seats, and he did custom stuff on the side. I looked at the binding he did on a carpet, for the gear shifter and asked how he hid the seams. He said easy. He laid the vinyl face down over the carpet hole centered it, then sewed around the edge of the hole , he then cut out the hole in the vinyl, pulled the vinyl down thru the hole and then turned the carpet over. then another stitch aroung the hole , securing the vinyl to the bottom side of the carpet.... Look Ma no seam. !
Old 12-20-2013, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

Nice to see some responses. Maybe it was something with the server the forum is on. Yes you guys have some very great information on here. Ive have read through about 30 pages worth of topics on the interior forum. I can see there is a wealth of knowledge here, as timothale mentioned Dantwolakes seems to be the expert. I checked out his site also.

Look forward to getting down to the upholstery trade soon. I just got my machine I purchased from craigslist out of the shop.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJSLOST View Post
Sorry about that, I never saw your post either. Welcome to Hotrodders.com.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

Thank you Dan. (And everyone else)

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.