My jeep's done, so I needed a new project :) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 08:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

My jeep's done, so I needed a new project :)

I came on this site hoping to find another project to start. I pretty much finished my rock crawler, and I'd like to start on restoration project now. I won't be making too many posts until I find something to fix up. I'm looking for a pre 70 camaro, nova, or vette. I'm not looking to pay more than $3k pretty much in whatever shape with little rust. I can post some pics of my jeep if you are interested. Any sites or what not would help. I tried ebay, but the guys selling stuff are real shadey. Hello to all

- Jake

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Welcome to the HR board Post some pics of the rock crawler

Steve
Old 09-19-2005, 09:38 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Jake,

You are going to have a hard time finding a first gen "little rust" Camaro for under $3K.

The ones I have seen sell for 3K are incomplete, need trunk floors and major bodywork. As far as Corvettes. Well not sure $3k will buy 2 laundry baskets of parts.

Your best shot for little rust and your budget is going to be a Nova and they are getting scarce.

Good luck sir. Let us know how you come out.

Rich
Old 09-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:

Check out the Classified ad section on this site.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:18 PM

here's my last project- TBI 304(motor from my old 75 CJ),np435,dana 300, dana 44's- locked f/r with disk brakes, 6pt cage, all on 36" swampers

I'm basically looking for a good deal on a starter project. I'd like to build it to my style though.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:12 PM

I think this is will be in my garage soon, and no I didn't pay$4,500 for it either- less than half actually

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ShippingPayment

Old 09-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:

Nice Nova I hope you are the high bidder, I like the Jeep the 304 is a very good engine.

Steve
Old 09-20-2005, 01:32 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

That ebay link is not a good one.

Here is the real one

I would not send any money and would pickup only. The guy has zero feedback and is a big risk. I thought you did not want rust? Did you notice the rear fenders have been cutout and are not stock anymore? I am guessing that was a rust issue.

Rich

Last edited by rrmccabe; 09-20-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:14 PM

I didn't want a rust bucket, some rust that can be repaired is a different story. I ended up with one of those 2nd chance bids. I will more than likely go down and pick it up with a check in hand. My wife has some family in the area. I would have liked a camaro, but I can't pass up this deal, sorry about the faulty link- probably cause I was logged into ebay.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Those rear quarters on that Nova are trash. I bet it has a few quarts of bondo around each wheel well. Buy looking at the pics the rear wheel openings do not look right and on the one you can see quite a bit of bubbling. One other clue is the trunk pan has rust. Trunk pan has rust damage, could use a new one (cheap fix). The fenders on a Nova will rust before the trunk pan will. Also you need to ask to see some pics of under the rear seat to see if it has rust or not. Don't take me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you but just trying to save some possible grief. It could be a great car but I think both quarters would need to be replaced and when those get cutoff you start seeing all the hidden stuff. So it depends on how much you want to get into. BTW...Welcome to Hotrodders. Nice Jeep also. Take a look at the rear fenders on this pic:

Now take a look at the rear fenders on the E-Bay Nova

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear driver side.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	6972   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear pass side.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	6973  
Old 09-20-2005, 05:01 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Not really a "little rust". By the looks of those quarters, the outer wheelhouse cant be intact.

You bet it can all be fixed, but not what I was thinking when he said little rust.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the experienced look at the car, I probably wouldn't have noticed until I saw the car upclose. I didn't expect to pay little and get a restored 40 year old car. The boom,boom in the trunk is the first thing going, and then probably clean up the engine and fix major mechanical issues. I should just take out the "no rust" in my original post, because it really doesn't bother me. Even if it doesn't run, I still think I'm getting a deal compared to the crap I've seen around the classifieds for more than what I'm planning on paying. Check the other "winner" out on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ocusZbsQQfviZ1

Last edited by CJake; 09-20-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:38 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Well as long as you know what you are in for. If you look at the trunk picture it appears there are pieces of flat metal in there along the outers.

He says it needs a trunk and cheap fix which not sure I agree with that. I am going to guess you need a trunk pan, outer wheel house, maybe some shock tower work and both rear quarters. Based on the damage seen it has been leaking and might need floor pans too. You just never know when one has already been worked over. For ever problem you see there are three hiding.

I know what you are saying about the Camaros. I just bought a 67 on Ebay for $825 and it was rusted to the ground. No saving it. I just wanted it for misc parts and bolts. I have turned down an offer for $2000 already which I thought was insane but its worth more to me as a donor while I finish mine.

I saw your ebay Camaro link. That could be interesting but it looks like it has had to much cutting on it to be a street car. I guess it depends on what you want.

Anyway... Welcome to Hotrodders. Its the best forum on the web.

Rich
Old 09-22-2005, 06:05 PM

I'm still not 100% sure, but the guy backdoor selling the nova was a scammer. He told me to wait for ebay to send me what I needed to do, and next thing I know I get a spoof email from ebay. I forwarded it to him too asking him if that was the correct instructions, he said yes. He basically wanted me to wire money to him through western union!!! I have his address and if I'm ever in the UK, he's getting a beating!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:

Guys this thread should be in the Lounge.....This forum is for introductions. It was an interesting read by the way, glad you did not fall for the scam.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.