Are my lifters rotating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Are my lifters rotating

Does anyone know if I would be able to witness the rotation of a mechanical flat tappet lifter simply by removing the inlet manifold and spark plugs, setting the lash on the valves, indexing the lifter/s with a sharpie and then turning the engine over at cranking speed?
Or does the spin effect only come into play at higher RPM?

Cam is broken in.. Three lifters were clearly not spinning according to the wear marks on the lifters prior to me assuming that I have fixed the problem by honing the bores slightly.

Thanks

Duke

Advertisement

Last edited by thinwhiteduke; 02-06-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

You can see them rotate at cranking speed. What is your lifter bore clearance? 0.0015" is considered to be just right.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
thinwhiteduke (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

Not sure if I can measure that accurately with the crude tools that I possess (dial callipers) , I'll give it a go. Just honed the three by hand with an appropriate sized piece of wooden dowel with some 400 then 800grit paper wrapped around, then a length of rag wrapped around and spun it in a drill to finish up. Pretty back yard, I know, but I feel they spin free now like the others. Just want to make sure that all is good before I close the valley up.

I'll set the valve lash and check for rotation before I set the inlet manifold.

Thanks for your help.

Duke
Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM

IF... the lifters did not rotate on startup [initial break - in] & IF ... the lifters have a pattern already established... then PROBABLY... you've already damaged the ramps on the cam & whether they'll spin again is "IFFY", at best...
dave
The Following User Says Thank You to 2old2fast For This Useful Post:
thinwhiteduke (02-09-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 08:23 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

It's not "iffy". You simply can't. If there's a pattern it'll follow that- I'm sure he's aware he needs a new cam though.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
thinwhiteduke (02-09-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

Here is a tip. On a fresh build. After lash is set. Mark all pushrods with a black permanent marker. Same place, in a visable spot, on each one. Start engine and run up to operating temp. Check positions of black marks. Rotating lifters will rotate the pushrods..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOBCRMAN@aol.com For This Useful Post:
crussell85 (02-08-2014), thinwhiteduke (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 AM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

Thanks for your replies..

Yup! ...That's what happened .. I have the all lifters dropping in their respective bores without assistance and now freely spinning in their bores, including the three that were clearly not spinning in operation. Lashed all the rocker gear up and spun the engine over at cranking speed with the inlet manifold still off. All are spinning except those three - still!
They spin a bit but then stop when they get to the point that they were running at for 4000 miles and stay there - won't rotate any further.
I realise I'm up for new cam and lifters, but don't want the same thing to happen again.
Just for giggles, I tried a 'rotating lifter' on a lobe where the lifter 'wasn't spinning' and cranked the engine. The lifter spun a bit then stopped also.
Is it possible that the grinding angle on the camshaft lobe (purposely ground IN to cause the lifter to spin) has now been lost on those three because of the fact they have done so many miles without lifter rotation?
Can I perform this same test (turn engine at cranking speed to check for rotation) for a minimal amount of time , maybe 45 seconds, just enough to get a check on full rotation of the lifters? Or would that be compromising the fresh cam lobe/lifter interface to much for comfort?

Photo of a lifter that wasn't spinning, looks WAY, WAY worse in the pic than in real life.

Duke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	120345  
Old 02-09-2014, 02:23 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke View Post
Thanks for your replies..

Yup! ...That's what happened .. I have the all lifters dropping in their respective bores without assistance and now freely spinning in their bores, including the three that were clearly not spinning in operation. Lashed all the rocker gear up and spun the engine over at cranking speed with the inlet manifold still off. All are spinning except those three - still!
They spin a bit but then stop when they get to the point that they were running at for 4000 miles and stay there - won't rotate any further.
I realise I'm up for new cam and lifters, but don't want the same thing to happen again.
Just for giggles, I tried a 'rotating lifter' on a lobe where the lifter 'wasn't spinning' and cranked the engine. The lifter spun a bit then stopped also.
Is it possible that the grinding angle on the camshaft lobe (purposely ground IN to cause the lifter to spin) has now been lost on those three because of the fact they have done so many miles without lifter rotation?
Can I perform this same test (turn engine at cranking speed to check for rotation) for a minimal amount of time , maybe 45 seconds, just enough to get a check on full rotation of the lifters? Or would that be compromising the fresh cam lobe/lifter interface to much for comfort?

Photo of a lifter that wasn't spinning, looks WAY, WAY worse in the pic than in real life.

Duke
new cam and lifters.. nothing will fix that.. I'd double check the bore clearance.. to what tech posted.. to loose is just as bad
Old 02-09-2014, 08:09 AM

10 or more years ago a couple of my friends wiped out new cams , these were guys who shouldn't have had problems . I did a bunch of calling around & talked to a lot of guys that I respected.. what the consesus was , was this .. Use a bunch of the grey moly break-in lube [ I use Isky] set the valves using comp cams method .. do not set past zero lash to start... use a cam break-in additive in the oil ..... make sure timing is set so engine fires immediatly... if after the first 20 minutes you're
good , you're more than likely good to go... just an aside ..I love my Brodix IK 200's , you can pull lifters & check them w/o removing the intake !!!

dave

Last edited by 2old2fast; 02-09-2014 at 08:10 AM. Reason: forgot to sign

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.