My LSx/4L65e Swap on my '69 C10 SWB - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My LSx/4L65e Swap on my '69 C10 SWB

Hey guys, I've owned my '69 C10 for a few months now. I traded a good buddy for it straight acrossed for a 1974 K5 I had. Although my K5 was in alittle better shape, I've always wanted a '67-'72 C10.

After getting it home it was clear that it had some issues (which I was warned about). The biggest one ended up being a flat cam lobe.

After tossing a few ideas around I decided to bite the bullet and swing for an LSx swap. A local wreaking yard had a 5.3 with 37k miles on the clock from a rolled 2004 'Burb for $700 and it included everything (PCM, harness, gas pedal, etc). Later I scored a 4L65e from a wreaked 2004 GTO with 13k from LKQ for $800.

I sent off the harness and PCM to Wait4Me Performance to convert the harness for stand alone operation and edit/tune the PCM for removal of the various smog/emissions stuff and the VATS. They also included a performance 'canned' tune for the PCM. I should have it all back by the middle of the week.

I also sprung for Hedman long tube headers (Torque-Step) intended for a '98-'02 F-Body . I am having to modify the headers with a few dings with a hammer and grinding the frame a bit to make them work.

In the meanwhile I also bought a complete front clip from a '67 C10, Walbro 255 inline fuel pump, Corvette filter/regulator, frame-rail style tranny cooler, '71-'72 power booster, Brothers tubular engine stands, GMC Paul's tranny cross-member, Trans-Adapt LSx motor mount adapters, rear roll pan, front 3" drop springs, Slam RE7 (rear) bags, nitro-drop shocks, ECE adjustable track bar, second row Tahoe leather 60/40 split bench seat, and few other odd and ends.

Today I installed the engine and tranny with the new tubular engine stands and the new tranny cross-member. It all went fairly well, no major snags except the headers (which I expected). A buddy is making some changes to the headers, including cutting off the smog/AIR injection tubes and welding them shut.

Sometime this week I am modifying a rear coolant plug to accept a electric sender for an Auto Meter water temp gauge. I am also drilling and tapping a oil block off plug to accept a manual oil pressure sender.

Among others things, I have to mount the gas pedal, install the electric fuel pump as close to the stock tank as possible, install a return line in the stock pickup, run a return line from the Corvette filter/regulator (after installing it), run a fuel line from the end of stock fuel line to the fuel rail, install/plumb the frame-rail mounted tranny cooler, and of course install the re-worked harness and PCM.

Later I'll swap to the '67 front clip, change the various suspension stuff, and hopefully I'll have the funds to ditch the 'Dukes of Hazzard' rims (AR Vector) in favor of some 20's pieces.

Updates as they follow......

Thanks guys!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0014.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	32021  

Advertisement

Last edited by Ford_Assassin; 08-25-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Giggity Giggity

Last journal entry: My 72 Power Wagon - The history part 1
Last photo:

Very Nice!!!!! Love the 67-72's. Keep us updated!

-Greg
Old 08-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I kinda like the vectors , I wouldnt go over a 17" IMHO if going with a
Tq Thrust or a Hopster, 15" for everything else Nice Truck

Shane
Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 AM
Giggity Giggity

Last journal entry: My 72 Power Wagon - The history part 1
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s

Shane
Quoted for truth. 99.9% of those trucks that sit on big chromies lose the feel of the old truck and simply get added to the blingsters. Stick with something smaller and a thicker rubber and it will look alot better.......In my humble opinion.

-Greg
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Quote:

Shane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Gravy
Quoted for truth. 99.9% of those trucks that sit on big chromies lose the feel of the old truck and simply get added to the blingsters. Stick with something smaller and a thicker rubber and it will look alot better.......In my humble opinion.

-Greg
This is what makes us human, everyone has their own opinions. My truck will never be a daily-driver, so if 20's kill alittle ride quality, so be it. My 2007 HEMI Charger has 20's on it from the factory and still rides better than two Caprices I've owned.

I am also replacing the rear springs with air bags, which lots of folks wouldn't do either. What most don't understand is I want rear air bags not for hopping the truck or draggin' its *** all over the road. But because I'd like to be able to level the truck out incase I am ever towing or have a load in the bed.

Thanks for the comments regardless guys.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Engine Pics....

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...14&postcount=3
Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Well I got the modified PCM and harness back from Wait4Me and plugged everything back in today. Still have to mount the PCM somewhere on the driver's side, prob on the inter fender well. I also have to wire up the the harness for stand-alone operation (3 ignition switched and 1 constant 12 volt) fuel pump and relay.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Okay. it runs and drives.

I ended up using the F-Body headers afterall. I had to notch the frame on the passenger side, trim the lower control arm on the drivers side, and move the collector extension on the drivers side to make them fit, but they do fit now.

Luckily my buddy Cliff or I know how to do most of these things. It really helps keeping the cost of my projects down. But compared to shoe-horning a big block Chevy 454 into my Datsun Z car this swap was easy, although not nearly as unique.

The truck is very likely to remain in suede for a few years. Mostly due to the fact that the cab needs corners, rocker panels, and one floor patch. Body work is something I do not enjoy and will enlist a few friends in that phase. I have a rear roll pan, marker fill patches, and bed stake hole patches that will get installed along the way prior to years waiting for paint.

My next step will be swapping out my 6 lug, 4 wheel manual drum brakes for 5 lug, 4 wheel power disc brakes using GM factory parts (for ease of replacement later). At the same time I will ditch my 'Dukes of Hazzard' AR Vectors for some Boss 338 (TTII knock off's) in 18x8.5" & 18x9.5" wheels.

After that I will start fixing the interior up mixing classic original with modern upgrades. Of course a carpet kit will be in order, but using modern plush velour or tweed. I'll be keeping analog gauges, but I plan on replacing the factory gauges with Auto Meter pieces. Then the factory column w/shifter will be getting a nice paint job and a billet aluminum dress-up kit. The seat will likely remain a '73-'87 bench recovered in soft leather using '67-'72 floor mounts to get a ride height that isn't too high (or stiff) like the factory seat, but not too low like the '73-'87 seat with matching floor mounts. Lastly for the interior I'll be hiding the CD/MP3 player in the glove compartment due to my factory original uncut dash.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:

Shane

Here's another one for 'anti-bling'. I can't see a set of wheels bigger than 17" without thinking of some dude with a pimp hat and a gold tooth saying "Dis is da most gangsataist gangsta bling, yo" ...

...unless it's a farm tractor.

It's your canvas, do as you please. If everyone was into era correct looks, well, I dunno, all the old trucks would look the same and I guess they'd sell more Hummers for people to put bling bling wheels on.

Regardless, feel free to send me the vectors when you're done with them.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Nice project.
Keep the updates coming.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.