? on my mini spool - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 03:21 PM
SMALL BLOCKS DO IT BETTER

Wiki Edits: 0

? on my mini spool

i have a 78 nova with a 327 and one tire fire 2.73 rearend i just bought a 10 bolt 4.10 with a mini spool i was wondering how big of a difference it will make and if it will be safe to drive every day because it is my every day driver thank u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 03:40 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Spools are absolutely NOT SAFE on the street. They are designed for drag racing only. You need a good posi unit for the street.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:46 PM

ok now how big of a difference is it going to make to my old rearend it was a one tire fire with 2.73 and the new one is a 4.11 with the mini spool
Old 02-03-2006, 04:14 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

you will tell a lot of off the line differnt in hp,, a spool is not good for street you speedometer will be too fast, and you will turn more rpms at crusing
Old 02-03-2006, 04:40 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The difference in gears will cause you to run much higher RPM at highway speeds and thereby use a lot more gas. You will have much better acceleration though. The spool locks both axles together and on the street not only will you wear out tires quickly but you'll put extremely high loads on you axles every time you go around a corner. Breaking an axle is not uncommon with a spool at all. You will also have a handful when driving in the rain or on slippery or wet surfaces. Spools are DANGEROUS on the street period.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:51 PM

well thank u everyone for all the info on this subject u were very helpful
Old 02-04-2006, 10:37 AM

I always thought a mini spool was different from a full spool in that it didnt lock the axles together. My understanding was thats why they use em on roundy round cars so they could turn.

In addition, I run a full spool on a bracket car and I took it out for a drive on the street one day for grins and didnt really notice any big deal with control. Maybe my slicks wrinkling up in the corners had something to do with it but my little 3" tires up front didnt seem to have much trouble turning the car. Admittedly, I wasn't engaging in any maximum performance cornering but I didnt notice anything that would keep me from running it more other then the very limited range of a 5 gallon fuel cell. I often have wondered what that nice old Officer Friendly would say if he found my race car parked on the street out of fuel with my chutes deployed laying there on the ground.

Now I am not arguing the fact that a spool dont belong on the street but I didnt notice any real problem with it. I am sure if it was raining it be a whole different ballgame though.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

A spool is a spool, nothing else, the mini spool is just physically smaller and fit's inside the stock ring gear carrier, a full spool replaces the carrier.
You WILL notice a driveability problem with a spool on the street, ANY chance given the right conditions and you will have a handling or control problem with cornering and anything more than a moderate curve in the road.

You didn't notice much because, like you said, your wrinkle walls made a big difference, street tires will slip, slide, AND wear out much faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve t
you will tell a lot of off the line differnt in hp,, a spool is not good for street you speedometer will be too fast, and you will turn more rpms at crusing
NOT TRUE AT ALL.
A spool WILL NOT change horsepower, WILL NOT change your speedometer, and WILL NOT change your cruising RPM's, only a gear set, or tire size change will do those things.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:49 AM
ex biker, now hotrodder

NOT TRUE AT ALL.
A spool WILL NOT change horsepower, WILL NOT change your speedometer, and WILL NOT change your cruising RPM's, only a gear set, or tire size change will do those things.[/QUOTE]
I was talking about the 411 gears, i am not that dumb, steve t

Last edited by steve t; 02-05-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve t
Sorry *steve t* I read the gear change post he made before you posted, and here is probably what you meant to say (correct me if I'm wrong):

Gears won't change your horsepower, BUT- you WILL definitely feel a difference, your engine will be more into the horsepower range at any given speed.
A spool is not good for the street, like everyone else is saying.
Your speedometer will have to be corrected with a gear change, or tire size change.
Your cruising RPM's might not be where you would want to them to be, similar to just shifting down one gear with your current combination, something you just don't to do.

I'll give myself 5 minutes in the corner for that one, it seems to work on the kids.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:29 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

yea. i guess i could have gone into more detail,
Old 02-06-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
A spool is a spool, nothing else, the mini spool is just physically smaller and fit's inside the stock ring gear carrier, a full spool replaces the carrier.
You WILL notice a driveability problem with a spool on the street, ANY chance given the right conditions and you will have a handling or control problem with cornering and anything more than a moderate curve in the road.

You didn't notice much because, like you said, your wrinkle walls made a big difference, street tires will slip, slide, AND wear out much faster.

NOT TRUE AT ALL.
A spool WILL NOT change horsepower, WILL NOT change your speedometer, and WILL NOT change your cruising RPM's, only a gear set, or tire size change will do those things.
Again, I wont say a spool belongs on the road because they dont but, contrary to your post, and what I was attempting to share, I DIDN'T notice a drivability problem and I was making 90 degree turns. In addition, ANY change with any car no matter how its equipped can result in a control problems. I would also go as far as to say that any highly modified car is going to have "quirks" that a OEM car wont have and the only way to compensate is to simply be familiar with the quirks. Hotrodders have been dealing with control quirks since the 40s. Some more sucessfully then others.

I dont follow the why the slick with superior traction would be less of a handling problem then an inside street tire slipping. The wrinkle would help intially but after moving a couple of feet with the steering turned, its as wrinkled as its going to get and if a street tire was spinnig and slipping, so much the better for the little tires doing the aiming, I would think.

I did do some looking around and did find out that the mini does just lock em up but is weaker because it keeps the (weak) carrier housing intact. I always thought they were for roundy round racing...I dont know what gave me that impression but I haven't found anything to support that notion.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.