my monte needs help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 05:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy my monte needs help

ok guys im new at this but i need some information ok i have a 86 monte carlo ss with a 305 that has been rebuilt its been bored .30 and pretty much put back to stock other then i stuck a edlebrock performer intake on it and a edlebrock 600 carb on it then i decided to put a bigger cam and a stall converter in it and i did also new valve springs but anyways i did all the work and now when it is idleing in park or nuetral its fine but when i go to put it in drive it bogs it down and kills it. and the cam is .480/.480 on the lift and .294/.294 on duration and then i have a holeshot 2000 stall by b&m. and when i picked out the stall and cam i made sure it was the right size. o and also i have a th200-4R transmition and 373 unlimited slip rearend. please help if u can i would love to get it out on the street.

seth

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

I'm no expert on stalls/cams, but I think your stall is still a little too small. My bro is running a little bit smaller of a cam (292 dur) but running a 24-2600 stall.
What's your rpm in park? Then what's it drop to in gear?
Old 09-04-2003, 06:19 PM

when you bought the stall did you get a lock-up like was in it originally?.i know you can buy them either way with a 700r but not sure on the 200..but.i've seen this happen when a lock-up goes bad
Old 09-04-2003, 10:09 PM

help with the monte

ok when it is in park or nuetral i have set it at different rpm's but like i have set it a 1,500 give or take alittle and then if it would idle at all in drive it would be on the verge of dieing at around 4 or 5 hundred rpm but i was messing with it tonight and i have to were it is idleing in park at about 1200 rpm and about 5 or 6 hundred rpm and i got it that way by ajusting the fuel air screws on the front of my carb and with the idle but i cant get it any better.

seth

about the transmition i have had some problems with what i thought was the lock-up before, and the reason i thought that was because i would be going down the highway and i would slow down to a stop and it wouldnt want to shift down it would kill it if i didnt manuelly shift it down into lower gears .

seth
Old 09-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I think the stall is a little small as well, but I still think it should idle in gear with more adjusting with the IMS screws. Have you checked vacuum levels? You might be running to rich due to the low vacuum and it's not pulling the metering rods down into the jet's. Try a lighter spring.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:17 PM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

What is your base timing set at? Have you looked at timing and distributor for possible settings?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Superior Wheels Quality Tech

Last photo:

Vacuum Leak?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:27 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`ll take a stab at this, first off, what kind of fuel pump are you using? the stock LG4 305 fuel pump could barely keep up with the stock engine, much less one performance wise. these pumps won`t cut it, so if you still have it get rid of it. is the computer still active? what distributor are you using? lastly, you got too much cam, not enough engine, the cam would work great in a larger cubic inch engine with higher compression with all the appropriate mods, but it`s not gonna work too good in a low compression choked up 305. you can`t sneak up the ladder without going the rest of the way, such as headers, higher compression and all the other mods needed for this cam to work with your combo.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:16 PM

help with my monte

ok what do u mean by metering rods, and are you talking about the springs in the distibuter and the weights or what?

about the vacume i have looked and checked everything including around the manifold and where the carb meets my riser plate and where it meets my manifold and also all my vacumes hoses and i cant find any leaks.

and about my timing i couldnt get a good time with a timeing light because the scale is to small so i had to do it by ear.

my distributer was electronic but i pulled it and got a vacume advanced distibuter and also got the the curve spring and wieght set for it

also im not using a stock fuel pump well i guess u could call it stock but it is different from the one that came stock on it but it isnt any high performance fuel pump

when i get it out on the road and cruisinit is really peppy it gets one reallly mean second gear scratch and a slight 3rd gear scratch but its just the idle that is giving me problems

Last edited by scrisler; 09-04-2003 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:51 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

well then lets look into all the things that would effect idle.
Check the carbs float level, make sure it`s set correctly. shine a light in the carbs throat at idle and check the boosters, if there`s fuel coming out of them, you either have a fuel pressure problem or the primary butterflies are open too far making the off idle circuit kick in due to running a large camshaft. get a aftermarket chrome timing tab that you can pick up for around $4 at any parts store, take the number spark plug out and use a screw driver to find top dead center and mark it on your balancer, afterwards set the spark timing with 12 degree`s at idle and 38 degree`s total by 3000 RPM. next up, you mentioned "riser plate" is this a carb spacer? if so what kind? is it open type or 4 hole? let me know and we can go further. lastly, yes the converter is small for the cam you have, it would likely idle fine on a 350, but not a 305, the engine likely doesn`t have enough torque at idle to overcome the drag of the torque converter, but will find this out as soon as i have more info on your combo. while your at the parts store, it maybe a good idea to get a vacuum gauge, this will help you to set the idle mixture for best idle, you have a small bore small cubic inch engine with a big cam and not enough mods to help it work, so your going to have to tailor the carb to the cam. you can also reset the rocker adjustment to zero lash, this will help with the idle, how to set a hydraulic cam to zero lash is easy, after the engine is up to operating temp, snatch a valve cover and raise the engine to high idle, around 1200 to 1400 RPM, and back off on the rocker until it clatters, then tighten it to the point the clatter just disappears, then another quarter turn, this will make your engine "think" it has less duration and help it idle. you could also remove the timing chain cover and advance the cam on the crank gear by 4 degrees to help low end. a good bit of advice here is the next time you want to build a high performance engine, match it, cubic inches, the cam, compression ratio, carb, intake, heads, ignition, exhaust, stall converter all must work together to make the best power. after your combo is working properly and the idle is okay, your gonna find the engine has good midrange but little low end, so if you plan on racing your car any, if the guy beside you has the same engine but built it for low end torque your gonna get your doors blown off.

Last edited by DoubleVision; 09-05-2003 at 02:11 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.