My new baby arrived today - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Why would you want a engine that has a torque peak at 2800 rpm? You have a motorhome or tow truck for that engine?
It would be a little different once I got into it..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

As most of you will attest, any project will turn out to be a bigger project than planned. After mounting the Mickey Thompson radials to the front rims, after awhile one tire was flat. Turns out the bead on the M/T's are twice as big as other tires and the bead was causing the rubber valve stem to tear a bit when inflated. Smaller metal valve stems are now in place. As added protection of the oil pan, bell housing and transmission, I've had fabricated a bolt in skid plate to protect all of it. I let my little torque monster 383 go for about 20 cents on the dollar to a guy that wants it for his truck. Still need to get my hood to a sheet metal fabricator for the needed bulge to clear the carb and also to fab up a dual plenum intake with flat panel filters to line up with my hood louvers when the hood is closed. I have sent out for bids on this. When done, the Track-T will retain the same look and lines, when sitting at car events I'll still hear spectators comment "Must be a four banger".
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

First driving impressions, a little freeway and my twisty mountain roads. 1st and 2nd gear, I don't even bother to see what it will do, but did later in the test drive. The engine isn't happy below 2000 rpm, unlike the 383 which loved low rpm. Above 2000 though, smooth, strong power. Above 3000 rpm, still in 3rd, pulling like crazy, very impressed. Above 4000 rpm still in 3rd, now were talking, tach seems spring loaded, going for redline, speedo same thing, going from 80 mph to pegged in no time.

Skid plate was used 6 times already.

Driving the mountain roads, if in 5th gear engine not happy like it was with the 383, 4th gear engine happy but even with the slightest pressure of resting my foot on the throttle will creep up to 80 mph.

Passing 3 cars up a steep hill after the hairpin 15 mph posted curve on hwy 49 in 2nd gear, good thing I don't have posi, stayed where I pointed it with one tire spinning but still accelerating at a crazy rate. I would guess those 3 drivers have never been passed on that part of the road, or passed as fast.

Can't wait for a drive up to Tahoe on 2 lane hwy 50, with its few passing lanes, should be a lot of fun.

Am I happy with the engine, yes, for the 40 miles I've driven it. Do I still think it should get 20 mpg on the highway, no I don't think so, and the 383 broke 30 mpg a couple of times but my guess is 12~14 mpg.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Now this is a skid plate, mounted to the front cross member....

The gap between the oil pan and transmission is bridged over the bell housing so a road obstruction can be just slid over without the double clunk of hitting the oil pan skid plate then hitting the trans plate.

Now protection for the Tremec TKO 600 trans.

And a nice taper back to the tail shaft housing. I'm protected and not by Trojan!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

just one word, VIDEO!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Awesome! I'm sure if you changed your rear gearing you could pull 20mpg highway. It would be nice since gas prices are at $4 again.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
Awesome! I'm sure if you changed your rear gearing you could pull 20mpg highway. It would be nice since gas prices are at $4 again.
sbchevfreak, video soon, still dialing into this level of performance.

bigdog, I'm geared very tall now, but unlike the 383, the 427 tolerates 2000 rpm and in 5th gear that is 80 mph. Wish my OD gear was a 0.83 instead of the 0.64 it is, which again was perfect with the 383, 65 mph at 1700 rpm.

This is something the 427 would refuse to do, climb a grade in top gear at 1000 rpm. The 383 in this picture.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Well I won't be driving for awhile. I've kept this to myself until I knew what happened. After that second drive I noticed a bad oil leak coming from an oil pan bolt. Odd thing is it leaked with some pressure behind it, not a simple little drool that tightening the bolt would cure. It is my belief at this time (and I'm looking for input from you folks) that who ever prepped the Dart block, they might have drilled the the block for the oil pan bolts too deep and caught the oil passage to the filter. Mike, who is a tech/salesman for Scott Shafiroff told Ben at Eagle that it isn't his problem. I have emailed Scott to be sure his employee his reflecting his policy. I spent over $11K on this engine, the web page for this engine states a 2 year warranty, as is par for the industry.

Before I bad mouth Shafiroff all over the automotive forums I will wait and see how all this pans out.

Of course it wouldn't hurt if folks that are interested in a pro built engine drop Scott an email saying they are watching the forum to see how this is handled. That sure worked when I had the new but leaking throw out bearing from Mcleod.

info@shafiroff.com

Last edited by deckofficer; 03-05-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

leak

bob, wonder if u put some teflon tape on the bolt if that would help any... if they don't do anything then i guess u got to go the over tight thing.. man this sucks..
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Bill,

On their web page for that engine they state "2 Year Warranty". I won't get upset till I hear from Scott Shafiroff himself and not just an employee that is saying it isn't their problem. Sometimes employees don't follow company policy. My email to Scott went out after closing time, so tomorrow I'll hopefully see his response.

427 RealStreet Small Block Chevrolet Crate Engine
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

web site

i went on there site and u gotta put in a bunch of info to send a email... so i'll wait..
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Bill,

If your email program is set up, here is a link that by passes all that
info@shafiroff.com

If not, just copy and paste. As you know, forum inquiries as to the outcome of a possible issue goes a long way to influencing the outcome. I've seen it first hand and always appreciate the help. My last name is Lemke, engine 427 Real Street. Thanks

Bob
Old 03-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

God that sucks. Did they seriously not run the engine before sending it out!? I don't see how if they ran it they wouldn't notice an oil leak like that? That's just poor quality control.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
God that sucks. Did they seriously not run the engine before sending it out!? I don't see how if they ran it they wouldn't notice an oil leak like that? That's just poor quality control.
They ran it on the dyno. I drove it the first time a week ago last Monday and didn't notice the leak because I don't think it was leaking. I drove it for the 2nd time last Thursday and smelled some hot oil, pulled into a parking lot and saw how wet with oil the underneath of the car was but couldn't tell where it was coming from. I had detailed the underneath before the swap, now it is a mess. I started the engine and saw it running down the side of the pan while in the parking lot. The above video was on the lift.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
They ran it on the dyno. I drove it the first time a week ago last Monday and didn't notice the leak because I don't think it was leaking. I drove it for the 2nd time last Thursday and smelled some hot oil, pulled into a parking lot and saw how wet with oil the underneath of the car was but couldn't tell where it was coming from. I had detailed the underneath before the swap, now it is a mess. I started the engine and saw it running down the side of the pan while in the parking lot. The above video was on the lift.
Imo i don't think dyno'ing the engine is enough to really test it out. If it were me I'd make sure it gets at least 45 minutes to an hour on the test stand but that's just me. I'm all about making sure my work is as high quality as possible. I'd hate to have a problem like that arise when the customer gets it.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.