My new baby arrived today - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Yes, my crossmember. Need to pull the engine to remove the pan.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

baby

Yeah...I was afraid you were going to say that. Man, that just stinks! Well, just in case you were getting rusty on engine installs this will get the rust knocked off. One day you'll be able to look back and laugh...just not today.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

How sweet it is. No oil or coolant leaks, and proceeded to gain some more experience for my 3rd drive in the Track-T. Headed off to a girlfriend's home who lives at the edge of the valley downhill from me on 2 lane, smooth mountain roads, 100 miles round trip. Stopped for gas to see what my first mileage numbers were during what I will call "testing phase", of more full throttle romps than I can remember. Easy numbers I didn't need a calculator for, 82 miles on the first tank, pump clicked off at 10 gallons, so 8.2 MPG. I would have liked better, and I'm sure with more normal driving like I did today and the engine breaks in, it will be above 10 MPG. With my 15 gallon tank I'll now be filling up as often as most others and their 10 gallon tanks.

More driving impressions. First, and what really stands out is the handling with the new front tires. I knew rotating mass on our light cars, when changed to something different would be noticeable, but had no idea it would be this much with nothing more than 2" taller diameter, same thread width, but thread pattern now matching the rear tire, as they are both M/T Sportsman Radials. Steering is much less effort, both slow in a parking lot and at speed on the twisty mountain roads. One hand or one finger steering through turns is sweet. As to the skid plate, it gets used a lot but is built for it. The difference from 320 HP to 526 HP for passing is huge. If I can see 400' ahead, I can easily complete the pass even if a car appears at that distance as I just begin passing the rear of the slower car. It allows for most all of my mountain road driving to be done with no traffic in front of me, and be able to enjoy the turns at the speed I want. The only and major drawback is the area of the torque curve being 1600 rpm higher than the 383. As I'm geared so tall in 5th, about the slowest I can use 5th is 70 mph and the engine prefers at 70 in 5th that the road is a little downhill. 75 mph in 5th will be OK for level road cruising, but at 65 on the mountain roads the engine is happier at 2500 rpm in 4th than 1600 in 5th. Much happier, only if the downhill is steep will I be in 5th at 65 mph.

All in all, had I known the improvement in steering and handling my new tires give, I would have replaced them at the very beginning, not waiting for needing more ground clearance to go to a taller tire. The front tires I have been using and had plenty of thread were recommended by the Lotus Super 7 group, and since their front end is as light as mine, I went with their experience. The added power is still something that keeps my interest. I'm sure FatPat can identify with driving a mid 9 second street car, it is a great feeling for a gear head.

Old front tires.....

New tires.....
Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

so what was the fix for the oil leak??
Old 03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Just what Shafiroff's people said, clean bolt hole with brake cleaner, let evaporate, allow silicone sealant to skin over, run the bolt back in and let set for 2 days.

Last edited by deckofficer; 03-14-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

baby

Thank goodness...must be nice to have that beast back on the road again!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
Thank goodness...must be nice to have that beast back on the road again!
It is. Good therapy.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

baby

AMEN!!!! And turned out to not be such a difficult issue afterall...although it certainly raised alot of eyebrows. Glad she's back running wild down the streets for many years to come.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
AMEN!!!! And turned out to not be such a difficult issue afterall...although it certainly raised alot of eyebrows. Glad she's back running wild down the streets for many years to come.
From your mouth to all my engine's internals and gaskets, thank you for the positive vibes.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:39 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

So did Scott ever take the time to personally answer your issue ? If not, that still isn't good customer PR at the price level of that engine...
Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Do you have a gopro? You should definitely make some pov videos of some hard driving.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
So did Scott ever take the time to personally answer your issue ? If not, that still isn't good customer PR at the price level of that engine...
I talked to Scott for the purchase, then Mike and Vinnie. I did submit the bill to him via email with attachment yesterday, no response as of yet. For the leaking freeze plug and oil pan bolt about $215 labor and parts, solvent and sealer that Vinnie recommended. I wanted the repair to follow Shafiroff's recommendations so that if it didn't work would be back in their court.

bigdog7373.

Yes I have a GoPro with camera attachments in two places on the car. Last time I posted a spirited driving video I was flamed pretty good.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Took the Track-T out for a little romp, hwy 50 halfway to Tahoe so I could experience the passing lanes. All I can say is this kind of hp in a car so light, it is just too much fun. Traction for most all of my spirited driving has been excellent. First off, the blown '55 Ford could NEVER pull this hard, and even with a fraction of the pulling, traction was hit or miss. 1st gear still need to soft pedal, but 2nd gear is seeing some full throttle if I go into 2nd at 30 mph, then the engine is at 2200 rpm and doesn't produce enough in that low rpm to be a problem, so can be full throttle. As I hit 60 mph in 2nd, depending on road surface, I have 3 choices, if really good surface, keep my foot in it at 4400 rpm and accept some tire spin, if not an outstanding surface either roll off some or short shift. 3rd gear is good on most all surfaces except a road peak type undulation that causes un-weighing of the rear wheels, and that spin is has the highest pucker factor because of a much larger speed differential between road speed and tire speed. I know my local mountain roads well, and know where every un-weighing peak is, so no surprises.

Filled with gas again so I could check mileage. Maybe 10 full throttle romps on this tank, the rest was highway cruising pulling the grade to Tahoe and the grade from the valley back home. Drum roll................
12.9 mpg, almost broke into the teens. As the engine seats, and I've mellowed out on pushing deep on the loud pedal, mid teens should be easy. I know the engine is still tight because when starting hot it grunts a slow 1/2 of a crank and lights off. When cold, the starter spins the engine and it quickly lights, much quicker than the 383, but that is probably from the ignition upgrade more than anything else.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

baby

Ahhhhhhhh.....now thats the ticket. Just make sure you avoid them tickets! That much go power in that light body .... better buy some stock in the local tire company! I'm sure the pucker power is thrilling! I'll bet she handles a little different with the new tires as well. Gorgeous ride! Congrats my brother on getting her out on the open road with no more problems. Enjoy it is often as time and weather will allow.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhh.....now thats the ticket. Just make sure you avoid them tickets! That much go power in that light body .... better buy some stock in the local tire company! I'm sure the pucker power is thrilling! I'll bet she handles a little different with the new tires as well. Gorgeous ride! Congrats my brother on getting her out on the open road with no more problems. Enjoy it is often as time and weather will allow.
Thanks. It has been cruising the highways for the last 20 years with a number of different engines and transmissions. Each engine has had a profound impact on it's character. This engine because it has enough cubes is a street brawler without the attitude.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.