My new daily driver (pics) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

My new daily driver (pics)

With the Fargo needing more and more work I decided to take it off the road for the remainder of summer. The first semester of University is aproaching fast as well and since the school is about 45 minutes away from where I live, I would spend about 2 hours on the bus on the way there, and 2 hours back. The only reasonable way of transport would be a car.
So I decided to break down and take a chunk out of my Fargo budget.
Its nothing fancy, a little beater '93 Toyota Tercel but it met my criteria: it had to pass safety inspection, it had to have a standard transmission, and it had to be cheap.
Here are some non relevant pics

Its super cheap on gas (about 35mpg). I got it yesterday and put about 60 miles on it already just driving around in the city and gettning a feel for it.
Now the '50 will have to wait until next summer to get anything done on it. Ah well

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2006, 01:46 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Don't look like a bad ride to get you back and forth
Old 08-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Yeah, at $1.2K I couldnt complain. Overall its a clean, clean car. Plus it had a Pioneer CD/MP3 player installed already and the wiring for an amp and sub is hanging out in the trunk. Good thing I have no clue when it comes to amps/subs/speakers otherwise I'd be tempted to spend more money on it.

Mike
Old 08-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

A Toyota?! BLASPHEMY!!!! Looks nice for just $1.2k though. I'm doing the same and putting off my elky for a bit since college starts on Monday for me and I also have to drive about 40 mins away from my house to get there and it's not really wise to drive a 7mpg car there Around 30 mpg for my Sentra Sliiighttt difference there
Old 08-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

College eh? What you going into?

Mike
Old 08-26-2006, 02:46 PM

Last journal entry: final pics of first engine swap
Last photo:

Good choice for a daily commuter. I used a 96 Corolla for about the same distance as you for school when I finished hs, than gave it to my sis so she can work and go to school in it. Now its at 210K miles and the only thing I replaced on the motor besides tuneups & 3k oil changes was all the drivebelts and just 1 starter. I drove it as hard as I could, since its a little slow with a heavy foot. But it takes a beating.

Now I'm a little worried using my rusted 71' Fleetside as a daily, going back to vocational school I just started last week. I failed the first attempt at a good college. Just don't party too much, accept too many credit cards, and stay focused
Old 08-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Yeah, Im not too worried about University. I got my head straight when it comes to education I got a $2k scholarship for my first year and Im hoping to get good marks to get another one for the second year.
The car has about 190,000km on it (thats about 115,000 miles)

Mike
Old 08-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
College eh? What you going into?

Mike
Going to San Jac and taking their auto tech program to get my associate's degree Sticking to independent shops and not the dealerships
Old 08-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Ha, my daily driver is an '89 Tercel, carbed 1.5L and 5 speed. 175K on the speedo. EXCELLENT mileage. I paid $125 for it a year ago, it needed a tuneup, a flex pipe on the exhaust, and new 13" tires. $40 for the tuneup, I had some Saturn 15" wheels/tires sitting around that bolted right up, and got a used exhaust flex also off a Saturn and Migged it on myself. Recently it ate an alternator, and the clutch master cylinder went out, so I got those parts used from the wrecking yard as well, maybe another $40. It's got the usual rust in the rockers/quarters/floorpans but I have been keeping an eye on areas like the suspension mount points to watch for anything happening that will make it undriveable.

I think along with plates/PLPD insurance and parts it has cost me less than $300 for the year I've been driving it. I don't care how it looks as long as the cops dont stop me. Everything in the car works too. I think when the body gets too bad I'll work on making up some kind of new unibody pan assembly to swap the parts over, this thing is cheap like a bike to drive... Maybe a small dunebuggy like chassis with a little truck bed on the back to haul parts around...

Doc
Old 08-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classix_Lover
......and it's not really wise to drive a 7mpg car there Around 30 mpg for my Sentra Sliiighttt difference there

Wussy, when I went to college I drove my truck everyday with about the same 7mpg. I had fun, all the rich yuppy kids would be driving big suburbans and fancy cars, and they all hated my loud, and primer covered truck
Funnest thing was, when they would drive like idiots and block streets to talk to their friends in the next car, or some other stupid reason for blocking the street I always put it in neutral and gave it a few good revs, it pissed those yuppies off GOOOOD!!!1

Then I got supended, and blew my engine. Then I had the choice go to college for something I dont want to do for the rest of my life, or buy a corvette.
I guess you know the decision there, and I don't regret it

Brad

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« New Car! | 'Cuda »