My new hobbie....anyone else into this? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

My new hobbie....anyone else into this?

Hey guys and gals,

Been a while....

In my absence from the board I managed to get a new project that has got my attention and passion for building machines started back up. Since I can remember I have gone to tractor pulls and always wanted to get in it. However, it is very hard to get into finacially and also requires alot of travel to pull. So, I never did it....untill now.

I have some buddys that are into antique tractor pulling and I have found after hanging around it for a couple years that there are tons of pulls through the year within an hour or two of my house, not to mention the ones in my home town.

Those of you who know me from this board would have to know that I cant just have a regular old antique puller....so I have plans. I recently bought a 51 M Farmall and am in the process of equiping it with.....yes, you guessed it... a turbo. For anyone into this you can appreciate the project. My plan is to run up to 30psi boost blowing through a 2bbl holley with water injection and an air to air intercooler. The governor has gone by by and revs are now handled with a Mallory HyFire. Since the engine comes with 6:1 CR and copper head gaskets with big head studs it was just BEGGING me for a turbo.

Well, anyway, that is what I am up to now and I am finally back in my shop after close to a year of disgust over the constant problems with my S10. Hoping the new energy will spill over into my truck again so I can get it back on the road.

Later.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 04:57 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can't keep a turbo from spinning too long, can ya? You might want to plan in some wheelie bars on that sucker if you can get it to hook the ground.

Trees
Old 05-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Can't keep a turbo from spinning too long, can ya? You might want to plan in some wheelie bars on that sucker if you can get it to hook the ground.

Trees
No, the turbo thing is just a bad habit I cant kick.

I am acutally doing alot of work to the chassis as well. I have larger 15.5 x 38 cut tires on 16 x38 pressed steel wheels so the rotating weight will be low enough to hopfully keep the tires churning going down the track. I am adding wheelie bars and a roll cage. The wheelie bars will run up and connect to the front frame and the rear differential. Over reving those old engines can cause catostrophic flywheel failure, so I have to sortof plan for that event. That happening can cut the tractor in half and kill people...not good. So, I am going to run a scatter blanket and use the wheelie bars to connect the front and rear of the tractor in the event of the flywheel cutting the bell housing in half. If you are familiar with tractors, the bell housing and trans are all that connect the engine to the rearend. There is not frame in factory fashion, so you can see the delima. I will also be building a custom lightwieght wide front end to drop the nose and make the tractor more stable.

If the turbo works and I decide to build a serious engine I will eventually get a custom steel flywheel and slipper clutch so I can pull in road gear and get the tire speed up. A little math shows that I can get around 500 lb/ft of torque and close to 500 HP at 5000RPM. If I do that, I will have to build a lighter rotating assembly. Again if you understand what that means for a 5000lb tractor, you can appreciate why I am adding things like a roll cage. Should be alot of fun.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

TurboS10,

I have some experience with this (I helped an Employee who had a dual Turbo 1466 IH, and I worked for IH). Is your M a TA version? Be sure and check your Ring and Pinion if you do (they have a tendancy to "flake"). You can usually see them through the top Three Point access on the rear of the Final Drive Housing (we called it a bung hole). If you are going to use a TA, I would suugest you use one that is sprag-less (available through Hy-Capacity).

Good choice for a Puller (loved the looks of those old M's!). Great hobby-would love to see your setup!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Thanks for the input 35.

Mine is not a TA version. I have been told that the TA is not a real good choice when trying to build a high powered puller. I will post some pics when I get the piping finished. I am hoping to get that done this friday, and then the next week I am going to work on the chassis mods. I think the official name of this tractor may be "The Turbo Junker", cause it is ugly right now. I am not concentrating on paint and all that at this point. I am going to get all the mechanics of it worked out before I worry about looks. When I get the nose dropped with the new wide front setup and get the unneeded junk off of the tractor, it should look pretty slick. I am running the turbo and all piping on the side of the tractor so the hood will just be slick, and it will have side panels with only the necessary equipment showing(hard to completely tuck away all that piping and equipment).

Chris
Old 05-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Cool, the company I work for is located in the old Farmall factory in Rock Island, IL., most of the older part is slated for demolition this year or next, only the part we occupy will remain. There is a long hallway along one side of the plant with murals of all the different tractors that were built here over the years back to the McCormick-Deering days. We have tried to get pictures of them but you can't get far enough back and the lighting is terrible in that part of the building. Too bad they are really cool and will be gone when that part meets the wrecking ball. Even though the Quad-Cities is Deere & Company's hometown the old Farmalls are still one of the most popular tractor's around here. ESPECIALLY the M and H. Good luck!

Last edited by Hippie; 05-09-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:36 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Cool!

redneck.

said it before, saying it again.
Horsepower is Horsepower.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.