Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   My new issue. (Coil Springs) (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/my-new-issue-coil-springs-229966.html)

jetskibob1 02-24-2013 11:07 PM

My new issue. (Coil Springs)

My car rides rough, so I decided for the cost, I may as well try some softer springs. Long story short... Planned on ordering some from speedway tonight, and after double checking my springs are 13 x 4.5 not the common 5 inches.

Where the heck do I get springs in this size?

I have a 27 roadster. It's a speedway kit and was told it was originally built in the late 70's. I've heard people say Corvair springs were commonly used back then, but my research makes me believe that Corvair springs are not the 4.5 inches diameter either. I have found Jeep/off road coil springs, but I would assume they are VERY stiff. not to mention long. I'm no physics expert, but wouldn't cutting them make them stiffer?

My spring looks like it was possibly cut to the 13 inches. But I'm at a loss as to what to do,

Any suggestions?

OneMoreTime 02-25-2013 08:16 AM

If it is known the wire diameter, coil size. number of turns, free height and compressed height the rate of the current spring can be calculated and then we can compare the new springs to see if they are softer or stiffer than what you have now. but there is light becuase there are companies that do all this for you. Here is a list.

Coil Spring Manufacturers Serving Pennsylvania (PA) - Zycon

some of those guys do automotive and will be happy to make you just the spring that you need.. I think it was another guy that had the same issue and we had him take a look see at his shock valving because a shock tha tis valved for a heavy car may be too stiff for a light car..

Maybe you just need to bite the bullet and get some coil overs from pro or someone like that, that are adjustable so you can get closer to the ride an handling that you are looking for.

Sam

454 Rattler 02-25-2013 09:37 AM

You could contact Eaton Springs in Detroit Mi. They are very helpful. I've used them several times.

And yes, cutting coil springs will make them stiffer. Have you considered Coil-overs ?

454 RATTLER

Falcon Wagon 02-25-2013 06:48 PM

I have coil overs on my 60 Falcon 2dr wagon on all 4 love them

aosborn 02-25-2013 11:14 PM

What you might consider doing is welding in some spacers into your spring pockets so you can run common coil-over springs instead of the units installed now. It will give you many more options to choose from. Just a 1" long piece of steel tubing either on the ID or OD of the spring in each pocket would suffice. Just make sure that at full droop, the spring can't fall out.

It is always difficult to make a car as light as yours ride well. Mainly that is due to the high unsprung weight in the rear axle. The rear axle and the tire/wheel assembly is very heavy in relation to the weight of the rear half of the car. Getting the spring rates right and then the shock valving right can be tricky.

If you would take a photo of the current springs on the car and provide us with an accurate measurement of the spring wire diameter, the overall spring diameter and with the photo we can determine the number of active coils I can calculate fairly precisely the spring rate. That will help you greatly in determining where to go next with spring selection. Also give us the spring free height (unisinstalled) and the height of the spring at ride height. Once we know the rate of the spring we can then easily determine how much load the spring is supporting. Finally, with the springs out of the rear end, set the car at the ride height you want and get the dimension between the spring seats. That is the final bit of info we will need to help you select a proper spring.

Regards,

Andy