Hot Rod Forum banner

My new motor for my 48' Chevy pickup.

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  kruzr 
#1 ·
Well, I just mocked up my trucks motor for the first time and I am jazzed. When I bought my truck 34 years ago it had a 235 six in it.

I could only dream of something like the motor I am building now. I am collecting all the goodies to make a 1954 Corvette motor, complete with three side draft carters. Now all I need is about 500 hours to get the truck done. :)

Brian

See less See more
#4 ·
Nope, the only difference in the valve cover are two small brackets that are spot welded to it on the right side. Other than that, they are identical to the passenger car.

Heres a picture of what I am talking about, you can see the small brackets.

Brian

#10 ·
I looked at the top pic before I read the post, the picture threw me for a loop, what are those intake manifolds made of? Twin straight pipes for an exhaust? Those old sixes make neat running gear for the older rods. :thumbup: Dan

#11 · (Edited)
Dan, the manifold is aluminum. The exhaust was a split cast iron manifold, but I don't want to run one so those are Fenton cast iron headers. Now, I assume you are talking about the Vette intake. The intake on the upper photo of my motor that I had when I was in highschool the manifold was home made from tubing by my brother. He and his buddy built it in metal shop class when he as 18. They had no tubing bender so they packed the tubing with sand, heated it up with a rose bud tip and bent it!

Heres a shot of an original set. The big problem with them is they heat the manifold which I am told causes cracking.

Shane, actually, I did hit the motherlode, I started selling off parts that I didn't need that were hanging around the house. It is amazing how much money we can have sitting around. I sold some old spray guns, Skylark parts, Buick nailhead parts, (that is what I was going to run in the truck), mag wheels, even sports memoribila, all kinds of stuff. With that money I have been able to shop like it was Christmas. And the cool part, it is all my "car money" and I am not even touching the household money. :) If ebay would let me, I would kiss it on the lips!
The manifold is NOS but the carbs are bought one at a time. Mint Vette ones are crazy expensive. But these carbs had three other applications. They were used on a 52ish Nash Healey six cyl flat head, the Corvair Turbo Spider and in boats. Yep, there are tons of manifolds out there for SBC, Hemis, Y blocks, just about anything that used two of these carbs side draft to reduce the engine height in a boat. The first on my motor was a boat carb, you can see by the "Marine green" color.

My kids are even in on it. When I get home from work and there is a box that came UPS they say "Dad, you got a Christmas present" :)

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.