Hot Rod Forum banner

my new project

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  stonedchihuahua 
#1 ·
Well here it is a 1931 ford five window model A. any suggestions on drive train. there a couple more pics in the photo album if you want to see more of it.

See less See more
#6 ·
I've seen a 427 shoehorned in before.

Are you planning on chopping it?
Rumble seat?

It gets kinda cramped if you want a fuel injection and a rumble seat. I've got saddle tanks along the running board for mine but they can't support fuel injection. If you want fuel injection you have would have to go under the rumble seat, and then you don't have a lot of room.

If you could find a nice LS1 or LT1 that would be pretty hot car. Even a Chevy 350 would be great too.

My curb weight is 2400lbs with no driver (just to give you an idea) and I've got an old 302, a bit heavier than I thought it would be, but not too bad.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

#12 ·
This is the last thing you guys will expect to hear from me...but you could put an sbc in it and have it on the road faster. You could build a cool little 283 with 4,6 or even 8 twos, headers with caps, a cam and some valve work and it would run strong, get good gas milage and be cool. But if you want a real hot rod, go with something different. Flatheads are cool, but to get the same ammount of power out of a flatty you will have to spend 3 times as much money than you would on an sbc. Plus, they only have 3 main bearings...flatties are cool if you are interested in tradition and nostalgia, but they just don't cut it when you try to make the big power. I think nailhead buicks look super mean in model A's. So do cadillacs, studebakers, oldsmobile rockets and the old poncho V8s. Or how about 302 inch alternative to the little fords... a 302 gmc with a howard intake and 5 twos, zoomies, a mean cam and a fours speed...it would sure move. If you use some kind of late model motor with tbi or tpi and all the modern ammenities...please get a hood a side covers...

Oh yeah...one more thing...real hot rods don't have automatics.

[ April 22, 2003: Message edited by: drgnwgn289 ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.