My new T.V. show, Truck Meets House! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 09:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

My new T.V. show, Truck Meets House!

.....Or, why not to rush things. I had a minor incident while in a mad rush to help a buddy out this evening. Nothing too serious (I hope...) I have a pretty narrow driveway (hill on one side and house on the other) and had a brain absence moment when I thought I put the truck back in park before getting out.

The truck ('97 Silverado) almost ran me over, and the drivers side door snagged the siding on the house. Currently, the door gap at the front is near non-existent, and I have a shade over a 1/4" gap all along the back edge of the door. I don't believe I did anything but push the entire door slightly forward. The factory glued on hinges are still mounted solid, and the door is still flush to the body in all other places.

I just need to know how to adjust the gap. I think it could be shimmed back, but I'm not really sure how it is shimmed properly. Thanks for not laughing too hard.

In a while, Chet.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,239 Times in 1,087 Posts
Here's a link to a thread on the subject so I don't have to type it out again.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh.../post/new/#NEW

Brian

P.S. The hinges aren't "glued on" they are plug welded thru holes in them. They are a MUTHA to change, the WORSE, absolute WORSE designed piece of crap idea EVER in the history of mankind building cars!

I replace a set ONCE, that is all it took. I will repair the friggin things if they are twisted into a pretzel before I ever replace another.

Brian
Old 11-01-2008, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

Whats with this site, that the server is too busy early in the mornings, when your up and wired on halloween candy the kiddies didn't stop and get.

I am trying to picture how the truck hit. Did the truck end up in reverse and snag the siding with the door open, almost sounds like it with your description of the gap.
If the gap is tight along the front, and maybe in a little from the fender, I would say more then likley you bent the hinges, or rolled the mounting point at the hinge piller in at the front when you used the side of the house as a truck stopper, and you need to tweak it back. Is the latch and stricker still centered, and just the fender gap has tightened up?

I don't know how solid the trucks are, but my old cavys hinges looked like they would bend easier then a politician being waived a big pile of lobbyiest money. Who came up with the bright idea of welded on hinges anyways, that leave you cursing trying to pop the pins in a cramped space when you want to remove the door.

Although this is a video for a tool someone makes for bending back tweaked door hinges, it may give you an idea of what you probably are trying to accomplish to get your gap back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD9sI7f6fsg

Guess we all make these errors at times Chet. Guy who I had just finished painting a car for last year, must of had his neutral saftey switch removed. I Had his car in my driveway put in first gear like I normally do with a manual vehicle, and he started it up from outside by reaching through the window and was going to talk to me. Watched newly painted car go forward and run into the back of my poor little grand am. Since then my gas door is hard to open. He got lucky that all he wrecked is his front bumper, the only part not painted, because he was going to be replacing it with some new ricer verision.
And when I was younger and even stupider, add some alcohol to the mix. Stopped and met some people after bar close at *****in kitchen. I Had a little stick shift mitsubishi and the parking lot had a little hill to it. Must have not got it into gear, or put on the parking brake before going in. Before I know it a cop is inside, pointing out the window, asking me if thats my car resting against the caddy. The car rolled down the hill and stopped by backing into a cadillac. Good thing a big steel bumper on the caddy, there was no damage, and the guys car it backed into I knew from the bar and was meeting us at country kitchen, and the cop didn't wait outside for us to finish eating.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:02 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Troy, you got it exactly right. The house made the perfect secondary parking brake. Any idea how much that new tool will set a guy back? I suppose I could fab something similar. I could just use a wood block like the link of Brian's says, but it's still early this morning and I haven't had a real good look at the damages yet to see how that will work. The one time I rush, rush, rush out of my truck almost got my butt ran over.

Thanks guys,

In a while, Chet.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

no idea how much it costs, or where you would find one.
I'd personally just find something to bend the hinge back with, or try brians suggestion. If you are able to put in a small blocks of wood,socket or pipe, ect in the hinges to block them from closing fully, and then use the force of closing the door to bend them back, great.

Really, why would something like a large vice grip clamped to the hinge edge, with a cheater pipe on the end or a pipe wrench or large adjustable or crescent wrench to bend and tweak the hinges, be that much different then that tool (other then not being quite as spiffy). I'd try a block of wood first like brian suggested, or something you can put on or pry the hinges with to give them the persuation to go back where it needs to be. (Whenever you deal with damage, you should visualize how it occured, visualize how those hinges and possibly where they mount would have moved when the door hit the siding and sprung open too far, and then try to reverse the direction and angle of force)

If they are really hard to move (I am guessing they will bend back fairly easy, and won't come down to that), well then you are probably down to a push with a jack or porta power (If you have something strong enough to push off of, and probably would require fender removal for access) or a pull with a come a long.
Looks like you got something to keep you busy for a little while once you get a chance to look at it further. Let us know how you make out.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

Guys, there is nothing to think about here, do as I describe and this thing is fixed, I didn't get this gray hair from sitting on the couch! That tool is largely a waste of money. It wouldn't work on many hinges, they just couldn't be grabbed that way.

The technique that I describe can be done on ANY door, it doesn't even need to be a weld on. I have been doing it for years. You are thinking about this too much. Go out and put a friggin piece of wood or something in the hinge and fix your door!

Brian
Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

I just remembered something, they used to sell a tool that you use as I describe. It was a foot long wire looking thing with a "spool" made of aluminum at each end. The spools were of different sizes and had a knuraled outer edge so they wouldn't slip. You used the wire as a handle so you could hold it in place as you pulled the door shut. But I have used everything from a block of wood, a socket, a bar, ANYTHING that will fit INTO the hinge and prevent it from closing properly to allow the door to shut. That is all it takes.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.