My new toy!!!!!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My new toy!!!!!!!!

Hello everybody, a hotrod newbie here! So I was at the local Tractor Supply store a couple of months ago when in came a rollin this 46 chevy pickup. I thought it was cool as $%&#, and said to my self I would love to have one of those. After the owner went in the store I decide to go over and oogle over it a little closer. After doing a couple of walk arounds, I noticed a small sign on the back tailgate that said in really small letters "for sale". Sooo being the impulse type of guy that I am, I decide to go back into the store and talk to the owner and get some more details.
The gentlemen had that typical ole farmer look to him. Eraly 70's in age, long nasty looking beard and busted up greasy fingers. He told me he purchased the truck about 15 years ago, sold it and then missed it so much he bought it back.
He told me the truck has a new MarK bed on it, as well as new fiberglass fenders. The cab is orginal and has only some very minor surface rust. He went on to tell me that the guy he bought it from did all the alterations as far as motor, tranny and suspension. Under the hood is a 350/ 350 out of a 69 Camaro, with Holley 600 carb.
Now heres the "I think I may have gotten burned part". For the suspension lowering, He told me the builder took 2 leafs out of the back and used a Pacer IFS in the front. Knowing the Pacer had a terrible reputation, I asked him if parts were still available. He told me absolutely and I shoud'nt have any trouble. Now I don't know if he was giving me a line of BS or being so old he just did'nt know any better. Anyways the long and short of it is, me being a ignorant newbie I trusted his word. Come to find out, after spending more time on the web then any of you guys can imagine, I come to find out some parts are available and some are not. Man I had know idea how much info was out there on the Pacer front end when iI got researching it. the kicker is this truck handles like a dream!!!!!!
Anyways my plan all along was to strip the truck down to the frame, go over it and rebuild it. So I guess my question now is, when I go to re-do the truck do I keep the front end or go for the new Heidts or Fatman IFS. I really don't want to open a can of worms here as my fab skills are limited. I would just hate to re-do the truck and then in a years time have the rack and pinion blow out on me. do any of you guys think its possible to make new mounts and just use a new rack and pinion from say Flaming River etc.
Well enough of the blah blah blah i'm sure i'm boring you guys! lets see if I can show you what $8,500 got me. Please feel free to critque!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Cool truck...I like it just the way it is.......If you dont have the welding/fab skills, I would work with what you have.......If the rack goes down the road, just deal with that then....

BTW...The Pacer was not a bad car...it was just ugly....and beauty is in the eye of the beholder....some of todays cars are much uglier in my mind

Budget RVs
Old 01-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

hey if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Sam
Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Last journal entry: 1974 S&W
Last photo:

Are those mopar police hub caps?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmikDebris
Are those mopar police hub caps?
Now thats funny! Somebody else in another forum noticed those hub caps also. I guess there on those wheels because the Pacer front end has the smaller bolt pattern.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Cool truck...I like it just the way it is.......If you dont have the welding/fab skills, I would work with what you have.......If the rack goes down the road, just deal with that then....

BTW...The Pacer was not a bad car...it was just ugly....and beauty is in the eye of the beholder....some of todays cars are much uglier in my mind
Likie I said the truck rides and handles great! I would just hate to put all the work into redoing the truck only to have to tear it back apart a 2nd time to address the front end issues that may arise. I have already obtainde a full rebuild kit for the front end. Ball joints, tie rod ends etc. If I can find new brake calipers and discs that would be great! Its just the rack and pinion that scares me.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The brake parts are likely common AMC parts.......There are a few AMC guys on here that would know what you need.

Budget RVs
Old 01-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

It looks great as is. Nice!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check with NAPA for the rack. I wouldn't change anything, the wheels fit nicely in the body, you say it handles well, what more does a guy need?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Shoot i like it good find.

Cole
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Look's good like it is..
Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Congrats! That's a very cool lookin truck. I love the cooler too! And for $8500, you done real good. If it rides as well as you say, I'd leave the front end alone, just replace whatever is worn and enjoy it. Very nice, indeed.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

pacer front rack

have the same year of truck and my seals leak. local Napa store has most of the parts. But need to send out the rack to be rebuilt
Old 08-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Here is my take on your situation. If it runs and drives good, then drive and enjoy. You can continue to research and plan your options for the time the truck becomes unreliable. You may want to join a local club and start hanging around some of the club members with skills and start learning your self. Many hot rodders are willing to share their knowledge and skills and extra set of hands, even with limited skills, are welcomed. This way your knowledge and skills will grow more rapidly than if you were just plowing through all the sites. Hands on stuff is the way to go. When you gain more experience and you start to flesh out your plans for your truck, you can start laying aside parts and pieces for the time you are ready to rebuild.

Trees
Old 08-27-2011, 05:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Pacer parts are available but not thru normal channels. AMC restoration companies will sell what parts stores won't.. I wouldn't worry about it.. Truck looks good too.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.