Hot Rod Forum banner

my old pontiac hood ornament, please help

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  xlondon_macbethx 
#1 ·
im new at this so bare with me please. my name is grott, im 17 i have a dodge caravan! its terrible i know. i have yet to get my lisence and to get a proper car. soon though, i am in the middle of a deal now to buy a ford falcon.

a couple months ago me and a friend went a local junkyard, the owner was having most of the cars scrapped:( so we decided to dart in there (its heavly wooded, they actually had to build a road to get to the cars) so we thought we should take as much stuff as possible. my friend got some old emblems off the cars with a screwdriver, and i was able to grab this old pontiac hood ornament. im pretty much in love with it. yes even though i dont have th car to go with it. it was orginally chromed and look in fair condition when i first soptted it. i got closer and noticed the chrome was bubbeling off. either way i still wanted it. so we took it. it literally came right out the hood without any trouble. it was a bad day, there was some snow on the ground and it was raining lightly, i got it home and washed it off in the tub. no soap no nothing just a light scrubbing with a tooth brush and water. i decided (maybe this was a terrible idea) but i decided that i should take the chrome off. so i did. with a wire brush and some light sanding. it was at this point i realized that i might be in for more than i realized. after all i know nothing of what im doing. it was obvious the metal was pitted really badly and would probably be completely worthless. :( my friend told me that i should clean the holes out and its probably been about 2 months now and im pretty much done with cleaning them out. i've been using a lobster pick hahaha (my mom sterling silver one 0-:) i didnt know, she didnt mind though) so now im at the point where i would really like to see it back in good shape. its a beautiful piece of art and i feel obligated if that doesnt seem to weird. i attached a picture if you can please let me know what i should do, i would really like that. and if anyone knows what kind of pontiac this goes too, I'd be even more happy! :D

thanks for listening.
~grott

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
how much would it cost to have it rechromed? and if i do would i still have to fill all the holes in? im told they dip it in a nickel coating first to smooth everything out?

if i was to just fill them in and paint it. would it lost for a long time? or can i expect it to peel

thanks for the help, i was surprised at how fast you guys replied, thanks a bunch:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.