Hot Rod Forum banner

my Oldsmobile 455

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  joe_padavano 
#1 ·
I purchased a Oldsmobile 455 engine ad I'm needing help on a proper rebuild for it

#11 ·
Son, you came on here brand new, asking for help on building a 455 Olds. I took my time to find and post links that (IF YOU WERE TO ACCIDENTALLY READ THEM), would answer all your questions.

You, apparently, are another victim in a long line of victims of the horrid education system in this country. You cannot even follow simple instructions.

Now, please pull your head out and read what I posted for you. You should have some semi-intelligent questions after you have read through the links several times.

#8 ·
Over bore means nothing performance wise......It is just to clean up scratched/worn cylinder walls. You should try and get away with as little over bore as possible.

Read the links given to you above, they will give you some good advice on cams and carbs, I am sure

#13 · (Edited)
455 in a Malibu… Ok.. should scoot along pretty good.

I played with one years ago for a friend. right out of the box the stock engine works great for a performer. His was in a 72 cutlass. The engine was out of something that looked like a whale.

The one thing I suggested to him was little tweaks at a time. being that he was a first time hot-rodder the first thing to put on is headers and a well designed exhaust system. You really need to have a nice sounding car. Otherwise its not a hot-rod. :rolleyes:

Next the intake manifold the stock intake weights huge, I think I hurt my back that day. After a month of thrashing, burn outs, street races light to light. The stock timing chain looked like a wet noodle flopping in the breeze. Just swapping the timing chain put a grin on his face all over again.

Then we put my nitrous system on it for the night. Now that was fun!!
After that he drove it as is for over 3 years happy as could be.

One day he phones me up and says you want to help me put my new engine together?

He had spent three years talking to people who knew a boat load about those engines, purchased the appropriate parts, machine work. A few of those articles that Tech Inspector posted were on top of receipts, hot rod mags, and everything olds. That was over 27 years ago. Now …you can get all that information in minutes.

Building the engine that’s minor.

Just swapping that motor into that Malibu you are going to run into some problems. what off the shelf motor mounts, what headers are going to fit, probably a shorter drive shaft, the right springs for front suspension?

#14 ·
What motor does the cutlass have in it now? Swapping a big block Olds into a small block Olds car id usuall fairly easy. The newer chassis might be a bit harder but when I put a 455 into a 350 equipt 71 cutlass new headers and 2 vee belts were the only required parts. If manifolds were used the same manifolds would have worked with only a new head pipe required. Just a wild ***** guess but if you have problems they would likely be interference with the power brake booster and maybe the A/C evaporator housing.

#17 ·
Cutlass, Malibu same car just a name change. if there is a 350 olds in it now, swapping should be easy as pie and coffee. But a 4 door? Shakes head…

I guess if you made it look like some old school undercover police car… big old 4 inch roll bar and the aluminum perforated cockpit separator... could be cool. :mwink:

#18 ·
The 455 into a G-body swap has been done lots of times. There are no clearance issues if you use the stock valve covers. Use the stock Olds frame mounts and Anchor 2328 motor mounts and it bolts right in. Swap the accessory brackets, pulleys, and water pump to the 455 as a unit to maintain belt alignment. Remember to reinstall the two spacers between the PS Pump bracket and the block, or you'll be writing one of the monthly questions about belt alignment problems. Use either the individual runner W/Z exhaust manifolds from a 1969-72 442, or the aftermarket G-body headers for a 455.

Personally, the best bang for the buck on an Olds motor is to get the aluminum ProForm heads ported by Bernard Mondello (yes, that's Joe's son). Bernard is not affiliated in any way with his dad's former company, which is probably a good think given the reputation that the current owner of Mondello Performance has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.