At my own risk, might have to pull the trigger - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 03:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

At my own risk, might have to pull the trigger

First of all, I want to say hi to everyone on the forumn. This is my first post. And here's my dilemma.

My dad has currently in his possession, this:

It's a 1965 LeMans that he bought original when he was in high school, rebuilt it, paint it, and stuck some wheezy 454 into, then a 350, then a 305, and then finally pulled the 305 and left it up in our junk pile, after buying his L88 Camaro. This was back in 1994.

He bought a Pontiac 455 for it, all stock, and a tri-power intake. He claims that "one day" when he doesn't have any other "projects" he'll rebuild the 455 and make this car run again.. Or so he claims.. Yea, he's one of "those" guys.

Time has taken it's toll, and this is how it sits now.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z..._6352978_n.jpg

People try to buy it off of him all the time, and he says no. My friends have tried the whole "man I bet that car's gonna be slow once you finally get it running" approach, and nothing has worked. So, I decided that for cruise night next summer, it MIGHT be a good idea to just do it for him... But with a twist. His 455 is a low-compression all stock slug.. But I have the remedy for that, and we'll get to that in a minute. My plan would be to trailer it up, some night when he's gone and sneak it into town to my cousin Jacob's shop, a week or two before cruise night. Luckily, he never goes and check on the cars up in the junk pile, so I bet he wouldn't notice. Then, we would take my car in, and simply plant my motor and transmission into it over the course of a week or two. The motor that would be swapped in is a .60 over, brodix headed, 383 stroker that makes 10.2:1 compression, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 490 horses. It's currently in this:

He might be upset at first, but I guarantee he would be thrilled to see his old car back in action, especially knowing he could have it back whenever he wants.. And also, because if it sits any longer I fear the trunk and floors are going to rust out.

What would you do?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 05:19 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It sounds like something cool to do for your father. However I would give it what he`s got for it. I would go through the 455 and give it a freshening up and add a few performance pieces such as a RV cam, a set of headers, hotter intake then throw the three deuces on it. It`s a poncho so give it a poncho.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I would proceed as planned, better to save the car and get ragged on. After he drives it he will be apologizing for crabbing at you.(and thanking you )
Oh and X2 what DV said , do it up all pontiac.

Last edited by latech; 12-11-2011 at 05:24 AM. Reason: More suggestions.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

X3 on the Poncho Power.
A-body front & rear windshields are famous for leaks, if you can't sneak it out, at least throw a cover over the Top.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:16 AM

Pontiac

Good idea but since you are strapped for time the smallblock but if your Dad drove this thing in high school he'll definitely let you know he wants the Pontiac to stay Pontiac. You better get busy.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 AM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

I would almost always lean towards putting pauncho power in the Lemans, but since your Dad has already paraded a series of chevy engines through the Lemans it seems his interest would be having the car back on the road.

Go ahead and stab the stroked sbc in it, spend the time and money on fixing the car. Then you and your dad can work together to build the 455 while he gets to drive the Lemans. When the 455 is ready, you and your Dad can swap it in together. I think you and your Dad will get a lot out of this.

Oh, and hopefully by the time you have the 455 built you will have found a great car to put the stroker sbc in.

Good Luck.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

If he's a stubborn guy, I would only be dropping in the 455.
Some guys will feel resentment evey time they open the hood and see the SBC in there no matter how good it runs.

If this is the case he may not even want to drive it.

The point is, how well do you know your Dad? Would he go to such an extreme?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnest
I would almost always lean towards putting pauncho power in the Lemans, but since your Dad has already paraded a series of chevy engines through the Lemans it seems his interest would be having the car back on the road.

Go ahead and stab the stroked sbc in it, spend the time and money on fixing the car. Then you and your dad can work together to build the 455 while he gets to drive the Lemans. When the 455 is ready, you and your Dad can swap it in together. I think you and your Dad will get a lot out of this.

Oh, and hopefully by the time you have the 455 built you will have found a great car to put the stroker sbc in.

Good Luck.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 12-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Do it, that car needs saving from that grave.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

ANYTHING is better than letting it go to hell in that field. I'm usually a "Pontiac in a Pontiac" guy, but in this case a 305 would be better than how things are now.

Give yourself a LOT more time than you think it'll take- the suspension, steering, brakes, etc. likely all need attention.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If that has been parked in the grass for more than a couple years there is probably nothing left of the under side of the car.

Chet
Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies guys, and yes - I would agree to put the 455 in, but since we don't have all the parts to make it work, and it probably needs completely gone through, I don't think it would be very convenient. Especially not as much as this small block I have that would literally bolt right into it with a day and a night's worth of work.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

Oh, and concerning my dad - He would have the reaction such as "When and how did you guys do this?!" upon first seeing it. And would probably be ecastatic and drive it all over the place. It's not that he doesn't WANT to build it, he just needs a little push.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:46 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Go for it.

Just remember to keep us posted on the progress.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

UPDATE - I've attained a bit more information on the car and have a few questions. He said that before parking it, he replaced the control arms and bushings, put in a Z28 Camaro steering box, and new shocks. All fine and good. he said the electronics all work fine, so long as mice haven't eaten anything. But my concern is the driveshaft...

I know that TH400's require a different size yolk than smaller 200R4's, TH350'S etc... My question is how hard is it to change the yolk? I have a well built 200R4 backing the stroked small block, but want to know if I should bite the bullet and find a used TH400?

Also, other than that my only other concern is bleeding the brakes.

.... Luckily he loves talking about cars, so he didn't get curious as to why I was asking so much.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.