Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - my paint is peeling where do i start
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Brian, I very much appreciate your comments. Chemical stripping is a very viable and safer (especially for the panel) method of stripping large panels, it minimizes the chance of warping. It should also be noted that you mentioned to use New, Sharp and Quality when using sand paper to strip a large panel or any part for that matter...I would agree with this comment 100%...VERY IMPORTANT...As your using the abrasive, it start to loose it's (grit) cutting power and creates heat, the coarser the grit and speed of the machine, the more heat. Think of it this way, when grinding a weld smooth with a 36 or even 50 grit disc, it's easy to see the heat marks, the metal can turn blue from heat very quickly. If the machine is used in only a small area, it also creates excessive heat in that area causing the panel to warp. The combination of these factors coupled with thinner metal on newer cars and perhaps inexperience on the part of the person performing the task, can lead to an expensive and time consuming situation. This is critical enough to say that even experienced persons can experience this problem. when using abrasives versus chemical means to strip a large panel.

Good call on deck lids Mr4speed, I had a very experienced individual stripping an aluminum deck lid on a Mercedes a while back and it cost me a lot of time and money...He would get a reaction to the chemicals in Aircraft Stripper and refused to use it, but, didn't want to tell me about his reaction to stripper, started to strip the trunk lid with paper and it warped, so I paid the tab.

This is not to say that using abrasives won't work, they do, but whenever possible, conditions allowing (the odor seems to be more nasty for some than others...like my wife) chemical stripper is a safer route for the larger panels, especially larger panels that don't have body lines in them.