my poor 355 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

my poor 355

So i recently had my local shop build me a .30 over 350 its a stock block bored over with speedpro 10:1 pistons 462 double hump heads .480 lift with a 232 duration

So i recently put a built 700r4 in the car and a ford 9 in the car but heres whats got me stumped .. For no good reason the motor overheated the other day, granted i live in florida its a new moror and shouldnt overheat I was curious what u guys think

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

We need a lot more info. Is it overheating at idle, at highway speed, any popping or missing, what kind of fan are you using, if electric, is it a pusher or puller? What kind of car is it in, and exactly what is hot to you, what's the temp and where are you taking it from, head, block?

Do a search here in the forum at the top, there's a kazillion overheated SBC's here!

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
The Following User Says Thank You to 68NovaSS For This Useful Post:
LATECH (08-21-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Banned

Last photo:

yes sir X2 more info !!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
We need a lot more info. Is it overheating at idle, at highway speed, any popping or missing, what kind of fan are you using, if electric, is it a pusher or puller? What kind of car is it in, and exactly what is hot to you, what's the temp and where are you taking it from, head, block?

Do a search here in the forum at the top, there's a kazillion overheated SBC's here!
well its got 2 fans in it, they are pulling air through the radiator.

One thing that I just remembered about and carelessly left was a ghetto delete of the heater core, a rubber line going straight from the water pump into the intake, I got a plug for it today but it started pooring, installing a temp guage and a plug after work tomorrow and i'll update from there.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 AM

do you have a temperature guage in the car? is the fan system on a fuse system and is it on all the time or heat activated?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:17 PM

Its always on, i think the head gaskets blown looks like oil in the radiator
Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86monte View Post
well its got 2 fans in it, they are pulling air through the radiator.

One thing that I just remembered about and carelessly left was a ghetto delete of the heater core, a rubber line going straight from the water pump into the intake, I got a plug for it today but it started pooring, installing a temp guage and a plug after work tomorrow and i'll update from there.
The bypass without heater core would be correct with a thermostat. Plugging it would not be. GM sized the cooling system with this bypass in the factors, it is there to provide a circulation through the engine when the thermostat is closed to prevent super hot spots from developing and boiling coolant around the exhaust seats and ports, and spark plugs. It also prevents pump cavitation which is hard on the pumps bearings and shaft seals as it shakes the daylights out of the impeller which shares this event with the shaft that drives it. The heater routing is just a convience for the cabin designers to tap a place that supplies heat quickly.

For your problem you need to get a lot more definitive. Like how old, how large is the radiator, what is it made from, how many rows of tubes?

Two fans, whose, when do they come on, how much air can they move, are they integrated into a shroud, does the shroud cover the core area, do they blow air into the core or suck it through?

What about the hoses are they new, is the lower reinforced to prevent collapse?

What is the temp of the thermostat, does it work at the stated temp?

What are you using for coolant, are you sure the system is burped?

Is the igniiton timing, cam timing, and are the fuel mixture ratios correct?

The coolant pump, has it been replaced, if so is it the correct rotation for the belt system being used? V-belts take a clockwise rotation pump as do some aftermarket serpentines that drive over the pump pulley. Most serpentine including the factory drive the pump counter-clockwise from under or at the left side toward under the pulley if you're looking in from the grill. Get these pumps mixed up and you get serious overheating.

Bogie
Old 08-21-2013, 05:56 PM

specs on radiator and fans from manufacturer

Overall Size: 31.50" x 18.50" x 2.50"
Core Size: 26.25" x 16.75" x 2.00"
Maximum Fan CFM: 1730 cfm
Fan Diameter (in): 11.375”
Fan Height (in): 10.625”
(two fans)

bumped the timeing up, got the fuel/air done, was just slightly off, timeing was retarded, we bumped it to 35

the thermostat is a 180 degree I think
for coolant its got 50/50 antifreeze maybe alittle less now since its been topped off a few times

Also, I changed the radiator cap, and spark plugs and it seems to be alittle better, today was HOT outside and i drove alot, it stayed between 190-200 (180-190 while driving around)

Also is the weiand 7546 a good intake for this motor?

350 .30 over
flat top pistons
462 double hump heads
480lift on cam not sure of the duration (runs to like 6500 rpm iirc)
750 holley vacume secondary carb

700r4 transmission

and a ford 9" with a 3.89 gear ratio
Old 08-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
Also is the weiand 7546 a good intake for this motor

if it was your best choice you would not be asking about it.

With the mild gears and overdrive trans you could do better on both the cam and the intake manifold.
Probably my best choice being an airgap and a 500+ lift Cam with a longer duration right?

Im purely speeking on the NEED list, if it doesn't NEED a new intake, id prefer not to buy one atm

It seems like its the right range rpm wise, only problem is the high rise but i run a 750 carb on it so I think that makes up for it.

the car is being sponsored by a local car audio place and it needs to be painted so they can start working on it, car shows coming up and it needs to be done.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.